Who has tried antipsychotics?

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by What, Jun 21, 2015.

1. What

What Active Member

Anyone? I had an appointment with a psychiatrist and she thinks I am bipolar with psychotic features. She wants to fly right past a mood stabilizer and just go straight for an atypical antipsychotic. A lot of the negative reviews for the different ones (Abilify, Seroquel, Zyprexa, etc) actually make me almost hopeful. A lot them complain about being numb, feeling like a zombie, not giving a shit about anything. That sounds like a decent compromise to me.

2. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi there, I am on an anti psychotic for anxiety and sleep. 30mg of zyprexa a day (I know that is over the recommended dosage but my doctor allows it to stop me taking addictive sleeping pills). It relaxes me and puts me to sleep most nights. It is a great drug in my opinion.

I have been on seroquel for racing thoughts and anxiety in the past, it was great at first but then caused hallucinations. It was scary.

Ridperdal gave me a psychotic episode.

Each med will affect everyone differently, I wish you the best of luck and hope you find a suitable one for you :)

3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

They are used for many things and remember 90% or reviews will be negative because the people that they work for have better things to do then write reviews and hang out on mental health boards. The fact is they work far more often then not and the numb and that sort is not really typical at all and often is the result of over-medicating caused by inaccurate descriptions of symptoms and claims of "not working": because a person was sad for 2 hours one afternoon and people think because meds should never be sad or bad dad day or even rough few minutes or expect meds tomake them cheerful happy and thrilled all the time when that is not at all what they are for. People without any depression or psychotic symptoms are occasionally sad or hyper- it is normal. If taken/dosed correctly it just helps limit the extremes and abnormal periods of time these extremes are experienced for. Si far as numb and unfeeling the same people that complain about that are also typically the ones that drink till pass out on regular basis as "self medicating" to avoid dealing with feelings so I am unsure why so many say they stop taking meds because makes them numb and now drink every day to make themselves numb.

If you are realistic in expectations, understand no med is going to make you happy all the time and that meds do not solve any problems at all, just help reduce the extreme reactions problems cause for some people (like feeling like should kill themselves because a bad word from another person - but understand that will still make feel like crap for 5 minutes and the med is not supposed to make that feel good nor prevent somebody from saying it to begin with) then medications can be and are very effective for a large percentage of people. Most people have to try a few different types until they find the correct med and correct dosage for the proper effect so it would normalize feelings not change them like a recreational drug does.

I used and they benefited me a lot, as they do many people I know. Talk to your doctor and go off the recommendations of the dr and your own experiences rather than getting pre-conceived ideas from others , particularly when most of those you read are the smaller percentage that they were not effective for and the reasons they are not effective often have less to do with the med than the way the person took them, or that person metabolism and other concurrent issues.

4. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

Hi there,

I have been on 2 different anti psychotics in the past and I also take a mood stabiliser at present. Anti psychotics used to treat bipolar disorder are mostly prescribed for mania, mixed episodes or psychotic episodes. Some like quetiapine and risperidone are also licensed to treat depression as well. They tend to double up as mood stabilisers as well as treating psychosis. It may be that your doctor wants to stabilise the psychosis and then add in a mood stabiliser at a later date. They also address things like anxiety and insomnia (the latter can contribute to mania and psychosis) which also helps. I was previously on both an anti psychotic and mood stabiliser and I can't say I felt numb or felt like a zombie, I still had emotions I just didn't feel either extreme at the time (until I foolishly quit my meds). The downside to most anti psychotics is weight gain and the sedating ones (which is most of them) can leave you feeling extremely groggy in the morning. Anti psychotics are very effective in treating bipolar as monotherapy, or in conjunction with mood stabilisers or anti depressants (the latter used with caution).

5. What

What Active Member

I don't want to be happy or thrilled, not that it would be problematic but that's not what I'm after. I would actually like to be just numb and not care about anything. I am constantly full of terrible energy and terrible thoughts, my life is a complete hopeless abyss at this point. I am often up all night, restless and agitated and feeling like I need to crawl out of my own skin. I lay down and close my eyes and the intrusive, terrible thoughts and inner voices started going. Within a few days I can cycle between wanting to kill myself and wanting to kill someone else and sobbing over a song on youtube or for no reason at all to feeling very nihilistic and dark and laughing because everything is one big joke. Just an endless train of madness. I have tried years of self-help, self-medicating, moving to different states, starting over, trying to hold down jobs, going crazy, unable to have friends. I just want it all to STOP. The thoughts, this terrible negative energy, the voices, trying but failing over and over, everything. I am at a dead end in my life, I am just exhausted and cracking up and done.

I promised my mother that I would give psychiatry a try, she was insisted on paying for it since I can't, I don't want to hurt her and since she offered all of this if I were to off myself now it would be like I threw it back in her face. So I agreed to try it. I guess I might have something called "dysphoric mania". She wants me to try one of these antipsychotics. So it's ironic really as I am reading all of these reviews complaining about being numb and feeling like a zombie, all I can think is that that sound freakin fantastic. I just hope it really works.

6. dax

dax Well-Known Member

I have to agree with Petal, meds affect everyone differently. There are side affects which can really change your life though. An example is risperdal/risperdone which can give you Tardive Dyskinesia, Tardive Dystonia, or even give men enlarged breasts (there was a class action lawsuit against this drug). For some of us the meds work fine and give little to no side effects, for others it can have a big negative impact down the road. That is what happened to me with Geodon (was on it for 2 years) and now Latuda. I have seen two neurologists and they have both said exposure to multiple anti psychotics can change the receptors and give you side effects that I previously mentioned. It really sucks, the psychologists have no clue why this happens to some people and why this doesn't happen to others. Research is being done of course, but as of now no one knows why it happens.

7. undercoverlover

undercoverlover Well-Known Member

Currently on Latuda. ive tried risperdal, abilify (which lowered my impulse control and caused me to OD), and seroquel. latuda is a great med, but all meds affect people differently. i like latuda because it doesnt make me tired, but it does make me throw up if i dont take it with food, unfortunately, so its probably not a good medication for those struggling with eating disorders. best of luck!