Who here wants to make pact an agreement not 2 die! LIST THINGS TO DO BESIDES SUICIDE

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

Thank every person for responding to my other thread, I could kill myself but at the moment I want to give life one more shot, one last chance.

Who here agrees they will not even think about suicide until at least the summer. By this I mean if you normally have a bad day and catch yourself thinking about suicide, then focus on using coping factors other then suicide ideation. Because lets get real, suicide ideation is a coping factor, it helps me get through another day knowing I can end it.

But you know what I never tried? I never tried replacing that coping factor (suicide ideation) with something that will actually help me in the long-run rather then hurt myself in the long-run.

So I am recruiting members, who would normally have, or always have suicide as a instinctual reaction to too much pain, and to think and change that instinctual reaction and replace it with something else.

I realize you may not think this will work. But you must give it a chance, like drugs, it takes time. I myself am giving this half a year, six months, until the middle of July. By that time if this method doesn't work, then we can try techniques of coping with pain.

I believe by drawing out a plan, setting rules to that plan, and establishing a definite amount of time it is to be used for, and actually following the plan (homework) is the best way to gauge its effectiveness.

Does this sound stupid? It is, if you only try it once, but the idea is that you try it everyday, because the effects that it has on you emotionally, physically and spiritually build upon eachother.

If you have considered suicide? What have you got to lose? I already started following this "program" and I am feeling more secure, and little less pesemistic and mabye, just mabye a little happier.

List things you will do / think when suicidal thoughts come to you (not necessarily in order of importance):
    1) Remind self of this plan.
    2) If in bad state of mind preoccupy self.
    A. TV - or go to movies
    B. Exercise - walk, run, bike, weights
    C. Sleep (most important)
    D Take prescription (such as anxiety pills to ease tension)
    E Call someone
    3) When in a "lesser"-suicidal state of mind - try to solve problem thinking about realistic solutions.

So the idea is to first treat the unhappiness, then deal with the problem when you feel a little better. And when solving the problem, to think about it as an outside observer.

Who will join me!?

2. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Re: Who here wants to make pact an agreement not 2 die! LIST THINGS TO DO BESIDES SUI

Just wanted to say that this isn't stupid. I think it's a really good idea!! And I'm glad you're willing to try! :D

3. faded echoes

faded echoes Active Member

Re: Who here wants to make pact an agreement not 2 die! LIST THINGS TO DO BESIDES SUI

count me in!

4. ryanglander

Your locked in! You can't leave!

5. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

It's a bit too much for me. But godspeed to those of you who can manage it.

6. Baloo

Baloo New Member

Hi Ryanglander, I am new on this forum and like most people I guess I've been lurking for a while without posting myself. But your posts stood out to me, and I found myself coming back here every morning just to see if you had posted and to know you were still with us. I am so glad to know you are, and that you are looking for ways to not think about suicide! I think your method is great and it could work for some people. Certainly I feel that too often I think of suicide as the only way out, and I realize that I am dismissing all the other ideas which take too much effort and courage. So I am going to give your method a try! Thank you for this, and thank you for still being around. I look forward to reading more of your posts. Perhaps someday I will have the courage to post my own story. In the meantime, reading the posts on this forum has helped me feel much less alone...

:lion:

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Great idea Ryan.It certainly doesn't sound stupid. :)

I just have some things you might like to add to your list!

Listening to music - great for de stressing!
    Reading. Therapy. Singing(even if you can't sing lol).
    Write down your negative thoughts, then throw it away - hopefully it'll dispose of some of the bad feelings too :)

Good luck Ryan :hug:

8. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

I think it is a great idea. And I am totally in!!!

9. ryanglander

Thanks for everyone's support and for joining! We need more people!

10. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I do that all the time.

11. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

Ryanglander I'm really glad to see you post. You just made my week!!!! Great thread!

12. ryanglander

Thanks.... I was just lying to myself when I made this thread, this thread is what happens the survival instinct takes over. I'm going to make myself depressed, and use drugs so that when the time comes, I can do it.

13. WildCherry

You weren't lying to yourself. It's a good thread, and you can still do the things you posted.

14. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

Well, I can not avoid the suicidal instinct all the time. But if I can avoid that instinctual reaction most of the time, then I'm doing passably well. Among the things which help me is doing the Burns Depression list by which I can make a self-evaluation periodically and thereby keep myself fairly in check.

One thing I disagree with is tv. That is, whenever I feel depressed, watching tv does Not help alleviate the depression at all. Instead what helps me is by doing something active. So I play cribbage.

The problem with the cribbage is that the partner I used to socialize with right here in town and in-person passed away, which is why I turned to on-line cribbage. And that has been helpful, although I of course still prefer to do cribbage in-person.

Sometimes while in the chatroom, I meet others who enjoy cribbage, so we go to a cribbage site together, and that always lifts my spirits. The point is that what usually blocks out suicidal instincts is Socialization. So anybody who enjoys playing cribbage can always send me a PM.

While I do the cribbage on line for the present, I still prefer it in-person. The only way to get that again is by effort and perseverance.

15. ryanglander

Cribbage, is that a british game? Physical activity is the single best thing for me to make myself feel good. TV, doesn't help, but it helps pass the time so that the mood itself will shift either from sleep or some other stress reducer.

16. WildCherry

Now I wanna know what Cribbage is. I know it's a game, but I've never known anyone that played it. And I'm too lazy to look it up.

K sorry, that was way off topic.

What kinds of physical activities help you feel better?

17. ryanglander

lol ....

18. Winslow

Winslow Antiquitie's Friend SF Supporter

I'm glad that you express interest in cribbage, Wild Cherry. It uses cards as well as a pegging-board. The reason it's called cribbage is because it uses a so-called crib which is a pile that the players put cards into as a preliminary before the main part of the game.

Some players are known to go to the extreme by making custom-made boards such as the board engraved on an elk's horn or elephant's tusk.

As for physical activities you asked about, I enjoy throwing boomerangs. Although it does Not seem strenuous but when you do it for an hour without resting, then you build up perspiration, which gives a feeling of satisfaction.

19. asking_advice

asking_advice Well-Known Member

nevermind..

20. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Wow. Summer? Man. I don't know. I don't think I'm gonna make it. I'll think about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.