Who is Anonymous and should we be woried.

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Mordeci, Dec 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

ONLINE hacking group Anonymous has claimed to have stolen a trove of emails and credit-card information from the clients of a US-based security company, Stratfor.
    The group has promised more attacks.

Hackers provided a link on Twitter to what they said was Stratfor's private client list, which included the US Defence Department, Army, Air Force, law enforcement agencies, top security contractors and technology firms such as Apple and Microsoft.

They also posted images online claiming to show receipts from donations made by the hackers on behalf of some of Stratfor's clients by using their credit-card data.

The hackers said they had been able to obtain the information in part because Stratfor did not encrypt it, which could prove a big blow to a company that calls itself a global intelligence firm.

"Anonymous hacks and discredits @STRATFOR intelligence company," a user called YourAnonNews wrote on Twitter. "Maybe they should learn what encryption is."

An alleged Anonymous hacker who uses the Twitter handle anonymouSabu claimed that more than 90,000 credit-card details from law enforcement, journalists and the intelligence community had been obtained and used for "over a million dollars" in donations.

A widely distributed hacking message posted online, however, mentioned around 4,000 credit cards, passwords and home addresses.

Among the donations shown was a $494 payment on behalf of the Department of Defense for textbooks, a school uniform and food crisis education provided by charity CARE for impoverished girls and women.

A $180 payment was also made to the American Red Cross on behalf of a Department of Homeland Security official, and was signed "Thank you! Department of Homeland Security."

Another $200 payment was made to the American Red Cross on behalf of a Texas Department of Banking official.

In an email to its members, Stratfor said it was suspending its email and servers after learning the website had been hacked.

"We have reason to believe that the names of our corporate subscribers have been posted on other web sites," said the email, signed by Stratfor chief executive George Friedman. "Stratfor and I take this incident very seriously."

He said Stratfor was "working closely with law enforcement" to identify those responsible.

By midday, the company's website was down, with the explanation that it was "currently undergoing maintenance".

Anonymous has been involved in scores of hacking exploits, including the recent defacing of a website of Syria's Ministry of Defense to protest against a bloody crackdown on anti-government protesters.

Last year, the group launched retaliatory attacks on companies perceived to be enemies of the anti-secrecy website WikiLeaks.

The group has previously claimed responsibility for attacks on credit card companies Visa Inc. and MasterCard Inc., eBay Inc.'s PayPal, as well as other groups in the music industry and the Church of Scientology.

video of what they did to the website:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypL1mcDXivM&feature=player_embedded

Actual message for thoese that want to read it:

http://pastebin.com/CAWDEW8G

video of latest demands:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrXyLrTRXso

I am not sure what to think, they are very good hackers giving there hit list. Also I like there sense of the dramatic and history.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:58 PM ----------

All the info is from a tech news site, I forgot to post to it sorry.

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

Also for thoese that don't think they have numbers, they are the ones behind the occupy movement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xyp1n2WXUho&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 25, 2011
  2. Comrade Napoleon

Comrade Napoleon Well-Known Member

I read this article early today on the BBC. Looks like modern' Robinhood' is stealing and hacking from wealth well-to-do industries and companies and donating the stolen funds to charities.

3. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am doing research on them for hopfully an article the 'Robinhood' analogy only goes so far. It seems there ideas and goals are very noble even though there is no set ideology, I think they run more as a digital think tank with no leader or even higharical structure. The videos they make is by individual members that are rejected or acctepted by the Anonymous community. I am pretty sure the explanation involves Orwell's double think to understand. But the videos they accept are more often threats and gloating and play more like something the a terrorist would make, then a robinhood. Also in this instance as in most of there work while they destroyed the companys website, the money they stole was from people working for the company, average people who 500 dollars means alot to, Also what they did steal they made public on pastebin, which along with the companys head, included average workers names, telephone numbers, adresses, and credit card info. So its more stealing from the rich and poor and giving to the poor. But on the other hand they do work for a company I consider dangerous so my sympathy only goes so far, same with previous targets. Whether its good or bad I am not sure. I agree with the ends, the means I am still having a moral dellema with

4. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Yeah, be afraid, hide yo kids, etc...

5. In a Lonely Place

In a Lonely Place Well-Known Member

Are these the same twats who shut down Sony's PSN services back in May?

6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

They mean no harm to me and mine, so I'm not worried at all. I'm cheering them on. Hopefully they'll shut shit down for a while and send a potent message. But of course if you're a one-percenter, sure you should be afraid, somewhat. They've been full of empty threats for quite a while.

7. In a Lonely Place

These people are nothing more than common criminals that need locking up. People saying they're cool and buying into the silly mask gimmick,grow up. Let's see how cool you think they are when they screw your life up or somebody's close to you by helping themselves to their credit card details.Robin Hood my ass,once all this money donated is traced to the people anonymous stole it from it's gonna be paid straight back to them.Duh!

This from back in May when Sony online services were hacked...
    Sony's PlayStation Network has been offline since April 20 thanks to a sophisticated cyber attack. Earlier this week, Sony told members of Congress * that one of its Sony Online Entertainment (SOE) servers contained a file called "Anonymous" with the words "We Are Legion," the group's tagline. In response, Anonymous said it has never engaged in credit card theft, and said that many of its corporate adversaries engage in activities far more ethically suspect than Anonymous

Yet today they happily admit to stealing credit card details,liars as well as theives then....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  8. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Anonymous is, as the name implies, not a list of people but a very loosely defined 'movement' of people that go in and out of 'operations' as they please.

Most Anonymous campaigns are silly, stupid, sometimes malicious and more often than not a failure. What few actually capable people that go into Anonymous operations are the people you hear about on the news because they actually do something of note. (Like cracking a few thousands entries in customer records.)

Anonymous is no more a group than "hooligans" are in the UK; it's a default label for a certain group. Some Anonymous groups do take on a more organized form as was seen with groups like LulzSec.

Should we be worried? Eh. Most Anonymous operations are benign. (Well, at least insofar as one is comparing to malware like StuxNet that caused physical damage to systems.) Be careful which corporations you trust with your information.

---------- Post added at 01:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:39 AM ----------

The people involved in the PSN cracking were most likely not involved - or were not all involved in - the "Operation Robinhood" go at things. Anonymous is not like a corporation because there is no controlling entity of the name, the motto or even the intent. Anonymous is a group of whoever, at a given time, operate under the title of Anonymous.

9. Comrade Napoleon

Comrade Napoleon Well-Known Member

I read further more about this incident and yeah it is unfair how normal and average citizens were affected by these hackers. Luckily, victims could recover their stolen money because Charities are unable to accept stolen money. Maybe the hackers intentions were good, but their motives were not completely altruistic. The hacked with the intent to strike fear and chaos like terrorists do.

10. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I think that is a very good defintion of what they are but from what I gather I think there is a little more to it. A while ago they threatened facebook . The idea of taking down Facebook because it stole private info, was from a man named Ryan Cleary from the hacker group within Anonymous LulzSec, (the British goverment found out who he was and later charged him with hacking into the CIA and the British census data). All other members of his hacking group within Anonymous the Antisec refused because the site was used to overthrow governments i.e the Arab Spring, yet he continued claiming they would do it. The Anonymous people as a whole didn't allow any connection to it, so I think there is members who are more involved then others at least, but there is still no leader of the whole group, just some people on twitter, facebook, and other sites that are more active. Also a group called script kiddies hacked into a news accounts twitter declaring Obama was assinated, everyone thought at first it was Anonyomus, but as a group they denied it and ironically the script group turned out to be some kids. It is more of a movement or even maybe a counter culture, but as an entity they accept or deny youtube videos, operations, or anything else on the internet

A possible begining of Anonymous has to do with a forum debate that got out of control, is it the right one, I heard several people use this as the begining and it has 600,000 youtube hits, is it right? is it re-writing history, is it a fake, I am not sure (honestly the guy in the video can't be more then 20 if that) but it is an explenation I heard before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0WCLKzDFpI

In any case they appear to be very good hackers, even if they are a little childlish.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2011
  11. Lovecraft

While "Script Kiddies" wasn't nor has it ever been a group, it's an insult. It's a way of accusing someone of not actually doing a real hack but just implementing somebody else's hack without any real work. (Like shooting a boxer and claiming you're the better fist fighter.)

Usually 4chan is given the credit for the anonymous phenomena. Specifically /b/. If you don't know what that is, you probably don't want to know. The /b/ board of 4chan is, suffice it to say, what happens when people can post anything they want without any accountability. I'd consider 4chan a trigger risk if you're that sort of mood. At any given there may or may not be anything triggering on /b/ but it changes rapidly. (Nothing on 4chan is saved once a thread stops getting new posts. /b/, for example, has 15 pages and every new thread deletes the last thread on page 15. New threads are very common and, therefore, what on /b/ is changing all the time. The mixture of total anonymity without accountability and a sort of natural selection of content from the fast deletion process is credited as being the source of memes, too.

Eh, these Robinhood guys openly admitted that most difficult obstacle in getting the credit card info, the encryption, simply wasn't used by the target they took data from. I wouldn't be surprised if they got the encrypted data from another server or two before they found out that their last target had all the data in cleartext.

12. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Ive been reading this thread, just waiting for the name Ryan Cleary to be mentioned by someone who has no idea what they are talking about and should really spend less time reading the Daily Mail. Heres some facts about Ryan Cleary and anonymous. Ryan Cleary was never a member of lulzsec, all the geezer did was host the IRC channel where all the different members of lulzsec congregated. Because he wasnt hiding behind tor or about 7 different proxies and used his actual IP address he was made the scapegoat. Anonymous is not behind the occupy movement, the occupy movement have just decided to align themselves with anoymous for reasons only know to them.

Anoymous was however behind the mastercard attack, the playstation network attack, the church of scientology attack, and pretty much every single troll attack that happens on facebook, twitter and youtube. One thing i think people need to get straight is the attack on the playstation network. No one got any credit card details off the sony network, at all. What happened was a few people emailed sony and told them about a gaping big hole in the security of their own network. They sent an email back telling them that they was basically delusional and their was in fact no problems with their network, so these individuals proved it by stealing the entire username and password database of the playstation network and sending sony everything they took as proof. But of course, sony would rather tell the world that the hax0rs were after the credit card details rather than telling people what really happened.

Anonymous started on the /b/ board of 4chan but 4chan is one site that you will never find an actual member of anonymous. They tend to congregate in IRC rooms or the /b/ or /i/ boards of all the various other chans available on the internet.

13. In a Lonely Place

oh so they were just being fine upstanding citizens with their attack on PSN? Well thats alright then:hysterical:

14. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Yeah actually, what of it?

15. Lovecraft

A number of Anonymous operations have been centred around the idea of trying to embarrass big-name corporations for failing to take security seriously; the PSN network hack was one such case where they wanted to highlight how flippant Sony is about their customer's information and about the reliability of their services.

Specifically notable was LulzSec that made their entire group based on the goal of shaming the poorly secured, picking on defense contractors like HBGary as well as other companies that really ought to have been better secured.

The main point behind the PSN hack and LulzSec was that, even if they claimed they could be, they never did any particularly amazing hacks, they did straightforward script-kiddie style hacks that shouldn't have worked on any half decently secured system. (It's a bit like posting a video of you in the Oval Office on Facebook saying "I probably shouldn't have been able to get in here with nothing but a lock picking set."

Is it ethical? Most people would say it's not. Is it legal? Definitely not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.