Who is Effected by Eating Disorders?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by symondhelly, Feb 25, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. symondhelly

symondhelly Account Closed

Most victims seem to be young women, although men and older women can also suffer from these disorders. It appear to run in families, generally targeting adolescent women. This gives the indication that genetics may play a role in who is at risk for eating disorders.

Again, there are many factors, biological, psychological, interpersonal, and social, which can make this disorder particularly hard to treat. Nevertheless, don't give up! It can be treated and cured.

If you suspect you or someone you know has may have an unhealthy relationship with food, look for the telltale signs.

An obsession with food and calories,

Always dieting even when there thin as a rail,

Rapid and unexplained weight loss,

Nonstop exercising,

Going to the bathroom right after eating,

Overly concerned with body weight
  2. denialmark

denialmark New Member

An eating disorder is marked by extremes. It is present when a person experiences severe disturbances in eating behavior, such as extreme reduction of food intake or extreme overeating, or feelings of extreme distress or concern about body weight or shape.

A person with an eating disorder may have started out just eating smaller or larger amounts of food than usual, but at some point, the urge to eat less or more spirals out of control. Eating disorders are very complex, and despite scientific research to understand them, the biological, behavioral and social underpinnings of these illnesses remain elusive.
  3. pinkpetals33

pinkpetals33 Well-Known Member

wow, let me know when....i'll be almost 20 yrs into my illness.
    the chances of recovery etc is very very slim for those that don't get treatment early on.
  4. jenniferelaine

jenniferelaine Well-Known Member

Started when i was 15-16. 25 now. There was a period in my life when i was better.

Anoretic. Never purged. Never over-exercised (never exercised really, I'm lazy). Just stopped eating. I eat what I want when I want, because if I don't, then I just don't eat. So I eat a lot of crap (cookies, ice cream, etc). Sometimes I'll go on healthy food jags. Like right now I want a burrito or salad.

At a "normal" weight right now which pisses me off. Metabolism is shot to **** because of ruining it when I was younger.

Psst---By the time you've hit so many years without successful treatment, you're considered "chronic". I used to think it was 5 years (which oddly, was a point of pride for me when I hit that mark), but now for some reason I think it's longer. I think that's crap, because I always thought of this like alcoholic. An eating disordered person's relationship with food is always going to be messed up, except you have to keep eating. But the longer you go without successful treatment, the higher the mortality rates climb.
  5. pinkpetals33

so we're screwed Jen :tongue:

I just realized its been well over 20 years.

I think I have almost died a dozen times...the sad thing is, I wished it would have happened so I don't have to see myself, look at myself or listen to these voices in my head.

Yes, the longer it goes, the chances of living is very slim ( no pun intended ). I remember feeling "hopeful" when I was in junior high school when the nurses and school psychologist, suggested hospitalization. My father took me to the intake and the nurse urged him that my weight was quite low and I could die....he replied "No....she'll be fine....she'll be a good girl."

Pure HELL since then.
  6. jenniferelaine

Oh I fought treatment like HELL.

My parents tried to have my involuntarily committed as an adult, and that's no easy feat.

It's part of the reason that I'm pathologically afraid of hospitalization (have said over and over again that I *will* take myself out before I will be hospitalized, voluntarily or otherwise.) There was a point in my life where I wouldn't even *visit* people in the hospital because I didn't think they'd let me leave.
  7. pinkpetals33

Jen, you know having issues with the most basic neccessites in life, makes it so frickin difficult moment by moment....hour by hour....day by day.....

Does your family have any understanding of yur illness after all these years?

8. jenniferelaine

Let's not talk of my sister. She's messed up, and I blame myself for it.

My family tries to understand. They were so happy that I was finally happy, and then things kind of came crashing down.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.