Who is good at laptops?

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Petal, Jan 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I bought a new laptop 2 days ago, it's a windows vista think pad. It'd brand new but got it for 150. Now I've seen people talk about adblock (where can I get that without getting a virus?) I downloaded AVG. What else is good? Ideas are very welcome, it's great to finally have a new laptop. Links to a few things are very welcomed.... thanks =)

FYI....I know nothing about computers, just how to use forums and upload pics etc.... basically nothing.

Like I said any input is appreciated to make the laptop better and more useful, calenders, good backgrouds, etc anything :)

2. Mr Stewart

Mr Stewart Well-Known Member

Adblock is an add-on program for the Firefox web browser. I don't know if it works with other browsers. Chrome maybe? Anyway, you can just google 'Adblock plus' and the first hit will give you the official .org website for it. Pretty simple to install, just follow the steps on the website. You can also set it to allow ads on sites you wish to support.

3. Petal

I'm using chrome, I will try that right now, thank you :)

4. Petal

Ok I have that done....thanks so much.

Does anyone know a good site for wallpaper and other cool things? :thank_you:

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

6. Petal

Thanks, I got a beautiful desktop wallpaper, a horse in the clouds!!! Beautiful <3

7. turryburry

turryburry Well-Known Member

8. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

Hi Petal :)

Sorry, I know its been a long time NO see, but I've been struggling a bit myself.

Best of luck with the new computer....:)

One easy thing to do right off the bat, is, use your search function and do a search for the free (automatically downloaded from MS) "MRT" (M~icrosoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool) When you are able to locate the applications, go ahead an create a shortcut on your desktop/start-menu for this application.

Why not, its included - and run it frequently, and of course, hopefully you will always come up clean during your scan(s).

Good luck and have fun.:clap2:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2015
  9. Petal

Hi W Miller,

It's very nice to see you around again, we will have to have a catch up soon, I hope you get back on your feet quickly.
    Your idea sounds like a great one, I will do just that, thank you.:cool::sweetiepie:

10. Petal

I knew about this one, thank you...it is installing. :)

11. Zaheer

Zaheer Account Closed

12. Petal

Wow Zaheer, you are super awesome...thanks so much for all those very useful links. Much appreciated, will have a look at them all very soon. :)

13. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

14. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

15. Petal

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me :) I will try these :)

16. DarkRomance

DarkRomance Account Closed

Petal, you should consider using Linux if you don't want any virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.