Who is right about Jesus, Christianity or Islam?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by x, Jul 16, 2008.

?

Who is right about Jesus, Christianity or Islam?

1. Islam

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. Christianity

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  3. Both

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Niether

18 vote(s)
    75.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. x

x Active Member

Hi guys I’m curious to get your views on this topic. Its part of a series of post I’m planning on this and other websites exploring the topic of religion. I suppose I should mention this topic is of particular interest to me as I have an Algerian Muslim mother and a British Christian farther. I personally had a secular upbringing but was taught to respect the beliefs of people of all faiths.

Christian Belife
    Christianity teaches that Jesus (Isa) was the son of God (Allah) and Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross so that man kind could be forgiven for their sins. Although this may be something of an over simplification the core of the Christian beliefs about Jesus are thus... Mankind are flawed sinners who commit sin. To make up for the sins of man Jesus sacrificed himself, died, came back to life and then ascended to heaven. After Jesus sacrificed himself man would be forgiven for their sins by Allah and allowed into heaven but only if they accepted Jesus as their savior. Whether or not they live a good life is an irrelevance to being allowed into heaven. The only important factor is accepting Jesus as their saviour.

Islamic Belief
    Under Islamic belief it is taught that in a sense Jesus is the son of God but only in sense that we are all the children of God. Jesus is consider one of the most important prophets after Abraham and Mohamed (ppuh) but it is consider blasphemous to worship Jesus as a deity as under Islamic belief there is only one God not the three Gods in one as we see with Christianity.
    Islam teaches that although Jesus was placed on the Cross by the Romans he ascended to Heaven beforehe died. Muslims believe this is due to that fact that God is all loving and all forgiving and so God will forgive mankind’s sins without the requirement for the blood sacrifice of one of his sons/prophets. Some Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah and will one day return to save mankind.
    Under Islamic belief accepting Jesus as your savior is not the sole requirement for ascending to heaven. Islam teaches the most important thing is to have love in your heart for god and for your fellow man. What religion you are is irrelevant to God, all that matters is that you love. This is summed up by a particularly poignant quote from The Prophet (pbuh) in which he compares the path to God to climbing a mountain. The Prophet (pbuh) points out that the route we take up a mountain is irrelevant as the destination is ultimately the same. In a similar vein the path we take to God, namely our various religions, is irrelevant as ultimately our destination, to be one with God, is the same.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  2. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

The convenient thing about Jesus is that there is no evidence, no historical record of him beyond the writings of his followers - which were contradictory from the start, and many of which could have been forgeries by later religious movements. So for anyone who wants to evoke Jesus's name and claim his own version as truth, it isn't really possible to disprove that person. It isn't possible, in fact, to prove that Jesus of Nazareth was a real person at all.

So which version is 'correct'? Dunno. Was Heracles fathered by Zeus, or just a really good fighter? Answer that one and I'll answer your question.

3. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

Neither, in my opinion if Jesus did actaully exist, he was basically a glorified David Koresh or another one of these loonies who claim to be the son of god

4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Actually as far as I'm aware roman records showed that they did crucify a man named Jesus.
    But I will agree that the bible is quite possibly a load of forged bullshit written centuries after Jesus' death.

5. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

If he did exist, he must have been a good person based on the stories I have read about him. I'm an atheist but seriously I can't lie about someone who had a good character regardless of his opinions on god. The rest of christianity is pauline doctrine as far as I'm concerned. But with regards to "I'm god's son", I would have to agree with what islam says i.e. jesus meant all human beings are children of god.

6. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

There are no surviving records. There were a few Roman historians who mentioned Jesus and Christianity some decades after he was reputedly executed. What their actual sources were for their (very scant) information, we cannot say, because they didn't do us the favor of telling us. It may have been a primary record, or it may have been hearsay from the Christians of the time. Or it just as easily could have been inserted fabrication from later era Christians after they were ruling the Empire.

Simple answer, no reliable evidence has survived to the present day. Unless it hasn't been found yet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2008
  7. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I think they're all sniffing glue.

8. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

The Prophet also thought that those who left Islam should be put to death with extreme prejudice, no? Something about throat-slitting being deemed the proper method?

So, assuming I've got my facts straight, please enlighten me as to where Muhammad ever said anything about a particular path taken to a knowledge of god as "irrelevant."

Edit to add: I shall vote in your poll once you've proven what appears to be your position vis a vis Islam.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  9. Entoloma43

Entoloma43 Well-Known Member

10. Random

Random Well-Known Member

I don't want Jesus to be my personal savior. I just want him to make me rich and do my housework. :biggrin:

11. see

see Well-Known Member

Christian Belife
    Christianity teaches that Jesus (Isa) was the son of God (Allah) and Jesus sacrificed his life on the cross so that man kind could be forgiven for their sins. Although this may be something of an over simplification the core of the Christian beliefs about Jesus are thus... Mankind are flawed sinners who commit sin. To make up for the sins of man Jesus sacrificed himself, died, came back to life and then ascended to heaven. After Jesus sacrificed himself man would be forgiven for their sins by Allah and allowed into heaven but only if they accepted Jesus as their savior. Whether or not they live a good life is an irrelevance to being allowed into heaven. The only important factor is accepting Jesus as their saviour.

Islamic Belief
    Under Islamic belief it is taught that in a sense Jesus is the son of God but only in sense that we are all the children of God. Jesus is consider one of the most important prophets after Abraham and Mohamed (ppuh) but it is consider blasphemous to worship Jesus as a deity as under Islamic belief there is only one God not the three Gods in one as we see with Christianity.
    Islam teaches that although Jesus was placed on the Cross by the Romans he ascended to Heaven beforehe died. Muslims believe this is due to that fact that God is all loving and all forgiving and so God will forgive mankind’s sins without the requirement for the blood sacrifice of one of his sons/prophets. Some Muslims believe Jesus is the Messiah and will one day return to save mankind.
    Under Islamic belief accepting Jesus as your savior is not the sole requirement for ascending to heaven. Islam teaches the most important thing is to have love in your heart for god and for your fellow man. What religion you are is irrelevant to God, all that matters is that you love. This is summed up by a particularly poignant quote from The Prophet (pbuh) in which he compares the path to God to climbing a mountain. The Prophet (pbuh) points out that the route we take up a mountain is irrelevant as the destination is ultimately the same. In a similar vein the path we take to God, namely our various religions, is irrelevant as ultimately our destination, to be one with God, is the same.[/QUOTE]

Check out this sight hope it helps with some of your questions :wink:

http://www.amazingfacts.org/Television/ProphecySeminars/ANewRevelation/tabid/83/Default.aspx

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2010
  12. Datsik

Datsik Forum Buddy

Satanism, the only thing that says the truth about Jesus.

13. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I like Marty Scorcese's take on Jesus in The Last Temptation of Christ, portraying him as mortal, with human weaknesses and desires.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.