Who is the retarded admin here?

Discussion in 'Welcome' started by JFonseka, Jan 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JFonseka

JFonseka Active Member

Who the hell sends out automated emails from a forum of this nature into people's email inboxes? I registered here ages ago to help out others, and I didn't get any emails from here until today for some reason saying HAPPY BIRTHDAY.

Guess what you moron? Now my friends think I'm suicidal, and are urging me to seek help. Neither does it help when the fucking tag-line in the email subject is:

"Suicide Forum - A support forum for people in crisis"

Looks great doesn't it?

Shit eaters.

Piss off.

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Wow you used to help others here? With that attitude I am glad you are no longer around!

3. kote

kote Account Closed

in any case HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

4. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

the only retard here is you...why not tell your friends what you just told us instead of coming on here and make drama...and by the way this message should have been sent to the administrator...which I'm sure can be find on the list...if you were bright you would have found that out by searching a bit...I agree with bambi...thank god you're not here anymore...

5. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

I believe there is the facility to opt out of recieving communication from this site....just like every other site on the internet. Did you read the instructions to the site before you joined or started posting???

But on a similar note, the op does have a point. I like recieving emails from this site but the email subjects do stand out. I had my inbox open the other day and a friend came up behind me and i hope to god they didnt see the would suicide on the screen. Would it be possible to get Suicide Forum changed to SF maybe???

6. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I agree with NoGood that would be a great idea. There is really no reason to have that on there.

Hey does the OP realize that we all have the option to send him happy birthday emails from the site? Seems simple enough change the options rather than bash SF..

7. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Thanks for your charming comments. 'The retarded admin' that you speak of, is actually an automated e-mailing system - you said that yourself in fact.

If you turn your birthday display off in your profile, I believe that the e-mail won't be sent to you any longer. You can turn off all e-mails from SF in your profile too - look under 'Edit Options' and untick 'Receive e-mail by Administrators'. Alternatively, you could always set up a message filter (if you're on Hotmail, for example) where any messages from here go into a specific folder and not your main inbox.

As for the Sender Name, I believe the only way to get it changed would be to change the name of the forum... The last we spoke of doing this, Robin was reluctant to do so, as it 'caught' so many folks - I think it was one of the first few of the large number of hits that were displayed when 'suicide' was typed into Google.

Hope this helps.

8. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

Hi Joe,

It was just the subject in the email titles that i was referring to rather than the actual site title. Ill look into a filter for sf emails. :)

9. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

I see ... I think that it's still tied in with the site name, but I'll see if any of the other staff know about it and get back to you.

10. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY LOL:stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars::stars:

BUT SERIOUSLY....

Why are your friends reading your emails?:unsure:

11. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Sorry to hear about that. It's nice to know atleast that you have friends that will try to help you in the right direction instead of just dismissing it and you.
    And why not be honest with them and tell them that you registered here to offer some advice and help for people in need.
    Sometimes unwanted things happen, but I can guarentee that no harm was meant by it, infact quite the opposite. And I'm sure, when your post gets whittled down to the facts of it, the owners of the site will try to modify future emails so that accidents like this don't happen again. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  12. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I've changed JFonseka's profile so that he won't be receiving anymore emails from SF.

Although I'm sure he could have found a more eloquent way of getting his point across, I do see where he's coming from. I was checking an email once from SF when one of my friends happened to walk in the room, and I had to do some explaining.

What Abacus said is true though; if we actually change the name of the site, then it will be harder for people who really need us to find us.

I'm looking to see if I can find any way of changing the appearances of the actual emails SF sends, but so far, I haven't been able to find anything. I'll keep trying, but just wanted you guys to know you're being heard.

13. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

Ha ha, I love sarcasm.
    Happy birthday to the OP.

14. Godsdrummer

Godsdrummer Guest

Ditto! LMAO!!!!

15. JFonseka

JFonseka Active Member

Ah, I'm sorry I vented like that, it was really wrong of me.

I was pretty stupid to not have looked into the various settings first.

Sorry about that.

Cheers

16. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

It's not a problem. I can understand that it must have put you in a really awkward situation. I hope that's worked itself out!!

17. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Hmmm instead of raging at the admins on here's a few suggestions:

1) Stop your friends seeing your emails, theyre yours not your friends.

2) If said friends have your password change it

3) Explain to said friends why your on here, tell them to check it out for themselves.

4) If your friends are taking the piss cause your on here then they aint really your friends are they

Thank you that is all.......

18. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I love when people are so quick to put the blame on others when it's their own stupidity that caused the problem in the first place.

But we are all human, to err is human so ...... welcome to the human race. I'd say you fit in quite nicely! :arms:

19. Axiom

Axiom Account Closed

Takes alot to come back and post that. :)

Maybe we should close this thread.

20. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

:agreed:

I hope everything worked out ok jf! :hug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.