Who Runs the Show in Counselling

Discussion in 'Therapy and Medication' started by downunder, Dec 26, 2009.

1. downunder

downunder Well-Known Member

I was recently at a session and I bought a piece of paper with all the items I wanted to discussed, and asked various questions.

Near the end, she asked if I wanted to swap places and run the show, I said sure hand me your notepad, but then she said she was only joking.

Because I would wait to hear her opinion, and say "yeah okay" then launch into the next topic. Other times she has said she doesn't mind me talking over the top of her etc as some people have told her that she is too chatty.

Getting mixed messages.

But just curious, how is it supposed to be, and what do counsellors think of people who come in with their lists and what they want to discuss etc.

I also showed her a little video on my ipod as I was discussing this motorcycle accidents, and I also show her pictures that are relevant to what I am discussing.

2. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

When I started therapy I was asked to make a list of the things I wanted to discuss.

From what I remember I was expected to do a lot more talking than her. Which is something I struggled with, but she would remind me that the sessions were for me not her. It was my opportunity to speak & be heard. She was there to make sense of my ramblings & help me understand.

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

There are two people in the counsellor's office. Naturally, there must be a dynamic exchange. The two of you must figure out who does what.

4. Datura

Datura Well-Known Member

You call the shots.