Who understands you the most?

Pennylane-

I can be a bit of a chameleon, I think it's a result of moving around a lot as a child , I learned to highlight different parts of my personality for different people and situations.
I am completely open with my partner and he is totally accepting of every part of me, even the very worst but I'm not sure he completely understands me.
I would probably say that my youngest daughter (my middle child) comes closest, as we are very alike.

Great question

nobodyknows71

For a Phoenix to rise, it must first burn.
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
What is understanding someone? Knowing someone really well to the point you know what they’re thinking before they do? Or is it actually knowing WHY they’re thinking what they are.
Either way.... erm, no one in my life has ever got to a point of ‘understanding’ me. But thats probably because I hide in plain sight.

Human Ex Machinae

Void Where Prohibited
This is a suicide and depression forum, so naturally, depression and suicide are what we talk about. But even the most depressed of us is a whole and complete human being, who isn't merely depression, or suicidal thoughts, but is so much, much more. We hide behind those caricatures, I think. It's just another mask, like the ones we wear in 'real' life.

Onion_soup

I... don't know.
I have a friend who is really perceptive, and his judgements of me, even though are not what I want to be seen as, are correct. Sensitive, impressionable, thinking too much about other people because of my past as a depressed and anxious teen... I really don't want to be characterised as this, but ultimately he is correct.
There's also a friend who "gets me" the most in terms of how I see life and act towards people, she struggles with the same problems I do and at times, when we talk about something, it just clicks and we agree we understand the struggle or go through the same things.

Vanquished

I can’t think of anyone who understands me. My (soon to be) ex therapist understands a lot, but she admits there are things about me that she doesn’t understand. The same with my pdoc.

There are a ton of people who know me pretty well, but they don’t understand me. Thankfully they’re supportive anyway.

I have to say that nobody really totally understands me. That's on me though. I don't give people the opportunity to get it. I don't share what's rolling around in this head of mine. I'm working on that. There are a couple of people who are starting to get it, see more pieces of the puzzle and understand the person behind the mask.
I’m with you on this one Kalicka I never open up and never have. I don’t know how to. But we’re here for you Kalicka all the time. You don’t have to understand someone to love and care for them. Huge hugs x

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
My cat and couple of other friends do. But then those are the people (furry and otherwise) that I really listen to and “get.” Also, on SF I think there are people who generally understand. I miss my pdoc who retired. :(

moxman

The "Perfect Life" YouTube channel is neat
SF Supporter
No one knows the real me. I don't trust them enough to ever open up to them.

The only exception is my daughter, I tell her some stuff. But I don't want to overburden her with my dark issues. She's a child she needs to grow and become her own person. What kind of dad would I be if I stood on the way of her development.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00