Who wants to run away with me??

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by iwillbeok, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

I am at a crossroads in my life. I feel (at 33 y. o.) that I am destined to end my life or run away.
    I don't think I can commit suicide..I CANNOT do that to my family and friends.

So...I want to run away. I am prepared to be homeless in a warm climate...or a place that is welcoming to homeless. I'm ready to rough it, but I need someone to take that journey with me.
    Do you want to camp out with me in Key West (til we get caught hahaahha)? Do you want to hike with me across the US to discover ourselves?

Come with me. I'm ready to go. I just do NOT have the balls to do it alone.
    I'm totally serious about this. PM for my phone number if you want to talk.

If I sound like a moron...I probably am. But you have to love the honesty and true heart that comes with this post.
    Love you all. :) Ande'

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Oh God. You don't sound like a moron. You don't know how many times I've had my bags packed this year ready to go. A couple times the other person changed their mind, or something wouldn't work out, and I wouldn't go, because I too was too scared to do it alone.
    I've almost been homeless lately, and decided that it would be best for me to stay where I am, and that I can find myself anywhere, including where I am, but I really hope that you end up doing this. I've felt exactly the same way. Run or die. Sounds amazing. I really hope you find someone to do this with. Sleeping under the stars. Just discovering yourself.
    Good luck
    :heart:

3. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

You will never know how much your post means to me. :smile:

I am so glad and so relieved to know I'm not the only one feeling like this. Your post truly means A LOT to me. If I get the opportunity to go...and to get pics of my experiences, I will post them for you. :)

Thank you SO MUCH for making me feel normal. I extend my deepest gratitude to you.

4. fromthatshow

5. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

6. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

about two years ago my bags were packed, i was in the car, just stopped to spend the nite at my mom's one last time before taking off. i was headed for the east coast, new england, so i could say i've seen it (i live on the west coast btw), from there i was going to start fresh wherever i found. my resolve couldnt' hold up to my family's resolve to keep me here so i went home with my tail between my legs

but i never stopped having the dream of picking up and going.... somewhere, anywhere...finding a fresh start where i can do it better next time. i wish i could go with you, more then you'd ever believe.

7. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

Come with me, abyss. I have no pre-conceived notions as to who I want to run away with me. Pack your bags, come help me pack mine, and we can run away into the sunset.
    Let's go. Now.

8. abyss

abyss Well-Known Member

i would. if i was free to follow my own whims i'd already be half packed. but i married a very good man almost a year ago. he's stuck with me through all the shit i've put him through and i dont plan on repaying with with taking off.

a year ago... id already be on my way. i hope you find someone and i hope you are able to keep us updated on where you go and what you see. i want to live vicariously through those who can do what i dream.

i'm very sorry i cant go along. but here is where i stay as long as he does.

9. Alexpt2

Alexpt2 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a cool idea. I often have thoughts of running away myself. If you've got nothing to lose and there's nothing keeping you where you are, then i say go for it.

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

If you do choose to do this, please be careful. While there are many good people out there, there are equally as many bad ones. i would not wish to see you hurt. :hug:

11. .......

....... Guest

I completely understand your wanting to get away. To run away and escape the only option which is suicide.

I just want to say though-the reality might be harsh once you're out there-if you're not used to spending long times travelling and living rough. You might regret it and long for your past comforts and surroundings.

Running away doesn't mean that your problems will diminish or that you'll find anything new about yourself. You might just find that you've made a bad mistake.

I move around constantly and I consider myself homeless, and I hate people saying they'd like to 'live like me.'

Tell me a place that is welcoming to the homeless? Have you been homeless yourself or is this another fantastic idea that people out there will welcome you with open arms?

You might find in 'discovering yourself' you discover real life and very unpleasant people and prejudices- but good luck.

12. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

This is very true gentlelady. Have you guys ever watched the show, 'Locked up Abroad?' It's a show about people who go off to different countries for a vacation or to get away, and eventually they need money and then get conned into smuggling drugs by drug dealers. The most memorable episode was Locked up Venezulela, which was about two guys from the UK who were locked up in a Venezuela jail for about 5 years on cocaine smuggling charges. I'm not trying to discourage your trip, just be careful. :hug:

13. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

Oh, yeah I've seen that show. It's really good! And very scary.

Thank you all for the well-wishes and advice. I really appreciate it. You've all made some really good points and given me lots to think about.
    :smile:

14. xXWhateverItTakesXx

xXWhateverItTakesXx Forum Buddy

If I lived nearer to you, I would go with you. But I'm all the way down in the South West (UK)

Like many other people have said, if you do go ahead with this, be careful and take care x :hug:

15. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

i would love to run away too.
    the problem is i have created an idealistic view of it in my mind now and reality will never match it.

16. am I alive

am I alive Well-Known Member

I am thinking about that every day. I am glad to hear there are people like me because i never met any of them yet. What we all need in our lives?well,for me its love,friends,and the exicitement of knowing new people and seeing new places,what else could we need? I totally understand when you say being homless in a warm climate,thats exactly what i am dreaming about. One short pants and small amount of food is all you need,no boring job,no stress,no problem with paying bills,no obsession with expensive cars or cloth and other material things...thats real freedom...i'd like to join you very much if i am not from other continent and totally broken:(

17. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

I used to think about it a lot too. But I think there's something holding me here at the moment. If only you posted this about a year ago, we'd be in the Alaskan wilderness right now eating wild potato seeds.

18. wastedmylife

wastedmylife Well-Known Member

I have done this a few times, but something I noticed is your problems usually follow you, though everyone can be different

19. iwillbeok

iwillbeok Active Member

That completely makes sense. I've thought about that and I know you're right.

I've been away most of this week because I was kind of embarrassed about my first posts in this thread. I know a lot of people dream of running away, but not very many of them post on a forum looking for runaway partners. :tongue:

I've been thinking about joining http://www.wwoof.org/
    you volunteer to work on a farm at various places in the world in exchange for room and board. That seem a lot more realistic to me rather than just running away to somewhere that you may not survive.

20. fromthatshow

thank you so much for posting that link!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.