Who was the best therapist you've had, and why?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by VALIS, Sep 23, 2011.

?

what psychotherapy approach worked for you?

1. Cognitive Therapy/Cognitive Behavioral Therapy/Behavioral Therapy

8 vote(s)
    27.6%
  2. Group Therapy

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Psychoanalytic (such as Freudian)

1 vote(s)
    3.4%
  4. Humanistic (Gestalt, Jungian, Existential, Client-Centered)

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. None have helped

12 vote(s)
    41.4%
  6. Other (tell us!)

6 vote(s)
    20.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what approach works for people. I've been through so many therapists and now my psychiatrist is throwing a fit about how I need to see a new one.

2. pbobble

pbobble Well-Known Member

Hi, I've been and seen quite a few of therapists, humanistic, freudian, cbt the lot, and have been one myself, before my recent depressions.

Some help some of the time, but mostly not, I don't think theres to much to be gain rooting through the past over and over. The one that has been most helpful, has been from the "human givens" approach, I don't know if they have these therapists in the usa as its mostly known in the uk.

They use simplified cognitive therapy and solution focused therapy, some visualisation stuff ,lots of encouragement and support, give you practical understandings on how depression etc works, don't focus on your past at all, help you get your basic human needs met, focus on innate human strengths and capacities to meet your needs and solve your problems, they help and encourage you to improve your relationships, sleeping, nutrition, exercise. They focus on lots of little changes to improve you moods and break the cycle of depression, it makes sense to me.

Despite the very severe nature of my depression, this is helping, when I can afford it as theres no free therapist like this in my area. I think if my depression wasn't so persistent and reoccuring, this would have sorted it out by now.

good luck, hope you find an approach that works for you.

3. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

CBT I voted. I originally had a training doctor as my therapist, and she was pretty good. I liked her. Then she had to transfer elsewhere and I was given a psychologist. She sucked and I disliked her. She was something of an extrovert and didn't really click well with me.

4. Jackie's Strength

Jackie's Strength Staff Alumni

I met my current psychologist while in a DBT program, so I voted CBT, but the work we do now is, in my opinion, very much of the eclectic sort. Perhaps I should've voted "other" :dry:

5. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

Best therapist ive ever had was myself

6. twofeet

twofeet Well-Known Member

Had two great therapists, the first was a psychotherapist (talking about beginnings and origins and first trauma) and the other was eclectic. I couldn't have survived without the first one: I was so messed up, I didn't know anybody could hear me. Voices and imagination and psychosis.

After that, I was able to transfer to groups and to a "lighter" therapy where I began to understand that the world is not just sun and shadow but variations of color and texture.

7. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I didn't even go to the session. She can't help me; she sees me in terms of categories. What I need is a private therapist, but I'm in school on student loans. tired of holding out and watching the good things slip away again

8. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

I'd have to say the best I have had is DBT (Dialectical Behavioral Therapy). It's kinda centered around a group session then a one on one session with one of the team therapists. It's worked pretty well :) I have to get back into it tho. I quit because I went to Ohio. :/

9. VALIS

VALIS Well-Known Member

I can't deal with it. As a student I can't afford a private CBT... I am really falling apart right now. I can't stand bad therapists, if they're incompetent I will just go in to rant and scare them. They always refer me to things way more intensive than I need. No one understands hyperbole. How can you be a therapist, listen to somebody say they're dying and in constant agony, and not consider that that's just how I feel? Just refer out, referral to someone else.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.