Whole Life Tariff Prisoners

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Twocky61, Feb 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

The European court has ruled that all prisoners should have a release date to work towards - whole life tariff prisoners are included in this - Most of us would have the view that any person who chooses to live outside normal decent society by committing appalling crimes such as murder and serious assault, whether sexual or physical against children or anyone else, should be 'thrown in prison & the key thrown away'

Some jurisdictions in this world of ours permit legal capital punishment - Here in the uk in 1994 the uk government signed away any possible return of capital punishment - the last hanging in this country was I believe in the late 1950's

So here is the dilemna:

Most people would want such criminals to serve the rest of their lives in prison but here is the problem - If a prisoner has no hope of release then he/she can kill a fellow inmate, officer or other prison staff member & go unpunished - the Governor/Independent Adjudicator can hardly add additional days as the prisoner is serving whole life already; yes, the prisoner can be sent to the segregation unit, lose priviledges such as wages earnt in the workshop, in-cell television (Yes, prisoners have televisions in their cells for which 50p is deducted per week from their earnings or £1 if they are located in a single cell) even DVD players & games consuls if the have achieved enhanced IEP (Incentives & Enhanced Privileges status) through three months good behaviour and no adjudications in front of the Governor for breaches of prison discipline

So, whole life tariff or possibility of parole?

The European court is only saying all prisoners should have parole reviews, not actually be released, unless the parole board are convinced the prisoner poses a minimum risk to the public - in the case of a current whole life tariff prisoner achieving a parole review through the European court ruling, it is highly unlikely he/she would be released on the first review; if at all

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2014
  2. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

My thinking is some criminals who have committed serious and tremendous harm to other ppl, having life sentences should never be given any hope that they will be released from incarceration... End ..

3. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

I agree with you Jim but the serious problem therefore arises those who are sentenced to whole life Tariff are likely to becaome unmageable

So this brings us back to my second paragraph:

"Some jurisdictions in this world of ours permit legal capital punishment - Here in the uk in 1994 the uk government signed away any possible return of capital punishment - the last hanging in this country was I believe in the late 1950's"

So is this the solution? Rather than keep them until they die at the expense of the taxpayer, who are themselves law abiding, taxpaying citizens, contributing to the society they are part of?

Of course the whole Tariff lifer is none of these; he/she is a drain on society

4. jimk

jimk Staff Alumni

Twocky.. Real hell of a problem.. Not a workable solution , with agreement is going to happen.. Had more than my share of violence and personal harm put upon me in this lifetime!!!

Still I do not agree with humans taking lives.. But at same time all the psychopaths rotting in the prisons is a huge waste of humanity, money and staff time..

Then there is also the question of terminal illness ridden ppl with horrific pain constantly.. Do we help them by chemically helping them to pass???

5. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Your quote Jim: "Then there is also the question of terminal illness ridden people with horrific pain constantly.. Do we help them by chemically helping them to pass???"

My view on that is to the affirmative - people such as Diane Petty, Tony Niklinson etc. who have 'no quality' of life, though define 'quality'

I actually believe murder/homicide is NOT the ultimate worst crime; I believe leaving a person in a quadriplegic and vegetative state to be a worse crime; with death they know nothing by definition of being dead; whereas in a quadriplegic and vegetative state is a living hell - without going into specifics a past gf chose euthanasia in the early 80's - she was quadriplegic but mentally alert but she still decided enough was enough and so.............. Coroners verdict was suicide yes; but actually & legally it was assisted

British politician Michael Portillo researched capital punishment in the US for a BBC documentary looking for the most humane form of execution - the trouble with that is the victims families - if, as a hypothetical question in your case Jim, Johnny(?) was brutally raped & murdered would you want the perpetuator to be executed humanely when he had subjected your loved one to sheer hell as she died? If it was Claire I would want the 'See You Next Tuesday' to suffer as Claire had & more

The research resulted in the most humane form would be asphyxia like pilots are subjected to in flight training

Try to convince the victims families & I am sure they would tell you to 'Foxtrot Oscar'

Capital punishment is such a controversial debate nobody wins

Thanks for your views Jim; I find this an extremely interesting debate

Anyone else:

:feedback:

tc feller & Hi to Johnny

:freehug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.