Who's is the real you?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by boo, Nov 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I'm sure you all heard the expression "be yourself". But what if you dont even know you who truly are? What if they are multiple parts of yourself fighting to become whole? Are you truly who you are or were made to believe so? Are the decisions you have made yours truly? or was it influenced by others? Would you be who you are if you had met different people? Born in a different family? Are we just blank pages waiting for life to scribble our destiny? Are you moving the pieces from this chessboard or are you the one being move?
    Who is the real you?

2. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

We're always influenced, even unconsciously. Especially in that society of consumption.

The things I'm sure of: the real me is emotional, caring, and artistic, and anti-conformist, open-minded to new ideas, ultra loyal, and honest to rudeness( it seems, I see it more as cynism?). Disadvantage: too sensitive, I break, I don't bend.

Good question, like always ;)

3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I Am : alone, sensitive, agressive, gentle, romantic, impatient, vengeful, honest

4. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

This is a very philisophical debate about whether we make our own choices, or if everything that happens is predetermined. A lot like to believe you can make your own choice, be in control. However, some believe that from the second the earth was created from whatever reason you believe, be it big bang, or a god or whatever, everything was determined to happen, and happened, which determined the next events and so on, which means that we don't have no choice at all. It depends which part of the debate you're on, as to how you answer this post. I hope that wasn't too confusing. I can't remember the name of the debate, it's one that I'm sure will never have an answer though haha

5. HiddenTears

HiddenTears Well-Known Member

Who I am inside:
    The real me is fun loving. I would like to go out or just hang out with friends and have a good time. I am caring, compassionate, and would do anything to help out a friend in need. I would do anything for a girlfriend, and I mean anything, I would treat her like the woman she deserves to be. I am also an excellent listner, and love to help people through their problems.

The me I have become:
    I am alone, unwanted, and worthless. I have grown to hate myself because I don't have anyone in my life and I can't figure out why. I used to pretend that I didn't like anyone just to avoid getting close to someone and being hurt again, but have recently tried to change that. I never initiate conversation in person, and I hate my attitude. I think I am ugly and no matter what I do I am never good enough for myself. Nobody takes the time to get to know me, or even say hi. I am a great person inside but I want that person inside to be visible to the rest of the world.

6. boo

boo Well-Known Member

I was born in misery. But grew up to enjoy the little things that life gave me. Then school came and i had to fit in with the others. Thats where i discovered envy, which led me to feel hate and jealousy. But i was prideful, i hid my secrets well. Acted like i was one of them. I did what it took to blend in. But nothing hurts more than lying to myself. And that's when i started to hate myself...

7. Sad Rabbit

Sad Rabbit Account Closed

The real me is carefully hidden and locked away. Hidden beyond the sight of anyone. Those who have been close enough to have glanced the person inside have turned away, laughed at me or betrayed me.

This has happened so often that I keep everyone away from my true self, never allowing my inner-self to become exposed to the outside.

There is no person alive who will ever see me as I truly am. When I die, I am taking this isolation with me and I take great comfort and releif knowing all the bad things which have made me what I am will die also. I also consider myself poisonous to anyone near me and that the hatred and resentment I constantly attract is some form of punishment I have to endure - but I cannot rationalise any reason why this should be so.

If you are wanting a list of descriptive words:
    Emotional, sensitive, vengeful, hateful, aggresive, hurtful, tearful, alone.

8. morfea

morfea Antiquities Friend

Who could ever know that? I really don't know, so afraid of everything and everybody when I was growing up, until a few years ago thought that everyone was more clever, more beautiful, better then me in every way. When I discovered zen I discovered some things about myself as well, but I have no will or energy or the youth necessary to see how it would be like if I'd try to explore more.

9. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

It's so hard to tell. And I guess that is why a lot of us are here on some level. A strong sense of self usually lends itself to happiness.
    I don't know who I am. I know what I'm not. I don't know if that means anything. I know what I don't want to be, but not what I do.

10. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Be yourself takes often more from others than person who trying to be person itself on the moment. It is environment who demand people deny some feelings, some talks and some things. I do not mean criminality, I mean every day and every place. That is why we have got small talk.

When I am not deppressed I have got strong personality and identitety. What bugs me is that I have to always fight the rights to be just me and nothing more.

11. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I am: Sociable, affable, fun, lively, chatty, loud, overly sensitive, have low self esteem, lonely, confused, frustrated, romantic, scared, vengeful, loving, non-confrontational.

At least I think I am all of those things... somewhere.

12. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

I agree, we can't be who we are. If different from the norm, we have to deny what we are. I hate it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.