Why are certain forums public now?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting' started by caspar, Jun 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Sorry I wasn't sure where to put this, but why are the suicidal thoughts and crisis forums etc public? It makes me uncomfortable to post there anymore. I wish they were only available to view by site members, the way it used to be.
  2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I think it is so people can find the site more easily when they search for suicide on search engines. I can understand why you might be a bit apprehensive to post, but some parts of the forum will remain private.
  3. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

It is in part for search engines, but more so that people can see what this forum is actually about and that it is not a "suidide methods and ways to die" type place, as many think based on title.

In addition, with 26,000 people having access to all of it already, and virtually anybody that puts in an email address and age over 13 being able to access it, it is not private in any sense of the word and leads some people to believe it is until they realize it is not. Privacy is gained by anonymity. That is why we do not allow real names and personal details/email addresses, stuff like that in posts. This false sense of privacy has led to far too many issues, and really if a person is going to say it to 26,000 (was over 40,000 until we deleted some older accounts that had not been used in 5+ plus years to free up user names) there is not much reason to have it called "private.

Using a unique user name as opposed to one used on many other sites, and following guidelines on anonymity like no real names or photos, addresses, not pasting Facebook links and email addresses is how you maintain privacy on here (or any other site for that matter). We collect no personal information during sign-up except an email and there is no way to set the email address to public so unless you tell somebody who you are on here there is no way for anybody to know who you are, including staff.

The real issue with privacy and anonymity here and the one that comes up causing problems is from people that share this personal information liberally with other members they barely know (same as any internet site). Also why in guidelines we discourage sharing personal information until you have known members well and for considerable amount of time prior to sharing personal details or going to offsite places to chat and meet in places that compromises your identity and anonymity (Facebook, Skype, and any places that requires/,maintains personally identifying information to open an account).
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 1, 2015
  4. caspar

caspar Well-Known Member

Ok thanks for your replies, what you say makes sense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.