Why are crimes mainly committed by men?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by The_8th_Wonder, Apr 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Warning: Responses on this thread could easily trigger

We all know it's true... men commit crimes much more than women do. But the question is... why?
  2. jameslyons

jameslyons Well-Known Member

Maybe because men have more testosterone? Or, and this I firmly believe, because men are give more criminal role models than women .
  3. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Men are also more likely to kill themselves, be admitted into a mental home, die at work, become socially isolated, be diagnosed with a personality disorder, abuse substances etc.

They are also more likely to externalize any of their problems, which might lead to lashing out or to abusive relationships. :dry:
  4. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Because society gives men a much harder time than women.

As a general rule, crime is a result of poverty.

Schools are aimed for a female success now. Most jobs are now aimed at women. The jobs aimed at men are now much less secure due to Western societies declining industrial base. Their is less support for men by way of emotional support, both familial, psychological and medicinal.

The man is expected to be the primary provider, in a world where this becomes increasingly difficult, ESPECIALLY for non-academics. This in turn has brought increasing numbers of poor, uneducated men with very little too loose. Hense crime.
  5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yup probably society.
    Feminization of males.
    Something like that.
  6. soliloquise

soliloquise Well-Known Member

testosterone... societal roles...

nearly all wars and violence are make perpetrated. is too complex for me to type all out here but do not agree that women have it easier.. tho thank god it is improving., nearly every aspect of society is male dominated and that is the problem.
  7. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

Boredom and women.
  8. soliloquise

yes of course it is womens fault that some men are violent, start wars, abuse kids and sexually assault people... uh huh. please :dry:
  9. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

I was more thinking of girls like "bad boys" but whatever floats your boat.
  10. soliloquise

the post is about crimes and violence perpetrated by mainly men...
  11. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

This is a very interesting question and one that has been tackled by both sociologists and biologists, among others, including ethnologists (those who study animal behavior).

It's interesting to note that not only do most men commit crimes, but most victims of crime are men as well (86%). Studies have shown that it's not just any male, but mostly a certain demographic of them. The average perpetrator (and victim alike) of crime fits the following profile:

-Single, at most with a casual relationship
    -Young, namely 18-24
    -Unemployed or under-employed
    -Have no families or are estranged from them

As a man knocks out one of those above-mentioned criteria, they become less and less likely to commit a crime. Obviously, getting all of them accomplished--a partner, family, job, and older age--lessens it considerably. Most violent crime is gang-related or impulsive, usually fueled by, say, alcohol or anger. Younger men with no strings attached are more likely to embrace emotional violence, get drunk, etc then men with paternal responsibility, aged-wisdom, and such. The few men with families and good jobs that commit crimes are either committing acts of non-violent nature (say, embezzlement or white-collar crime) or are psychologically damaged in the first place.

While it might seem almost humorous to consider, sexual frustration and simple boredom (which combined also fuel one another) are the cause of much violence: notice how most of the violent and most unstable countries in the world are among the youngest (Many parts of Africa and South America, and parts of the US with big youth populations such as California). Anecdotal yes, but to me it makes a convincing argument. Are frustrations drive us to violence while boredom makes us do anything (say, embrace gang-life) to get through life.

It is also biological: men and women each have different burdens, both in our societal aspect and in our natural ones. For males, their physiology and biology (i.e. testosterone) make them almost naturally inclined for the burdens of 'protector' and 'hunter' and such. The same aspects that give us strength give us an inclination towards violence that once served us well in protecting our tribe, getting food, mating, and survival...but in this modern society can be burdensome.

Of course, these are all just theories drawn from wildly different studies and schools of thought. I feel each has some merit personally.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 8, 2009
  12. soliloquise

women get sexually frustrated and bored.. you dont see them abusing others that often tho...

what about how society sees men and how most positions of power are held by men?
    how you bring up a male child also determines how it will behave to women.. some of the nicest male kids i have met have been bought up by women or lesbians.. they seem to have more respect for women. a generalisation yes but is my experience in the whole.
  13. Zurkhardo

Indeed they do, but they don't have the hormone that makes them more inclined to externalize their frustrations through violence and such. Or so the theory goes.

Really, it is a combination of everything. Society--namely raising the child right, growing up somewhere nice and all--can counter act all that. It's really a debate between what extent our animal origins still affect us in comparison to our more transcending human ones.
  14. soliloquise

woemn do have testosterone...

and a pmsing woman can be a scary thing :D

as for the rest.. that is what i mean... many factors. but ultimately males have dominated power for wayyyy too long and the world needs more female energy.. less confrontation and violence
  15. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

They'll be just as much confrontation and violence. Maybe in a different form but it'll still be there. You cant get away from human nature by swapping bosses.

As for testosterone and violence, maybe you're getting your chickens and eggs mixed up. Last I checked, bodybuilders are not a primary concern when it comes to criminal acts. However, testosterone can rise when faced with conflict and stress.

The whole testosterone poisoning argument sounds more like prejudice than anything else.
  16. Zurkhardo

Indeed they do, but not on the high levels that we do. Plus, they have estrogen to boot,which may or may not dilute some of the affects testosterone may otherwise have.

But yes, you raise another factor: societal conditioning, which may or may not be an extension of the 'natural' power-roles men played since the birth of humanity (its still hotly debated and I'm not entirely leaning to one theory or the other). Centuries of men filling these roles of violence, power, 'protection of women and land,' and so on have ingrained each emerging generation with the acceptance that men are 'supposed' to be violent as opposed to women.

But that's a whole other sociological and anthropological debate. Glad you brought it up though. :)
  17. Zurkhardo

Indeed, testosterone does play a role during 'dominance challenge,' i.e. the fight-or-flight response that often determines violent outcomes.

Ironically, it is 'low' testosterone that leads to greater chance of violence as opposed to larger amounts of it (steroids not withstanding, since their unnatural and often include other hormones responsible for increased violence).
  18. Issaccs

Issaccs Well-Known Member

Actually women are responsible for 25 percent of all sexual abuse.

Actually, if tribal studys are anything to indicate, matriarchal tribes are no less violent or warlike than patriarchal crimes.
  19. Zurkhardo

It is interesting to note, however, that in the modern world, matriarchal leaders are often viewed more benevolently but other contemporary male world leaders as well as their constituents. This perception of women being more desirable and pacisfistic may inadvertedly lessen the chance of conflict, since male leaders are less inclined to fight against a woman. Then again I've read studies that fully counter this notion, likely because most female leaders have emerged predominately in nations that already were peaceful to begin with (such as Europe).

Studying matriarchal tribes in Anthroplogy, we learned how many of them 'masculinized' themselves as leaders and often relied on male regents to conduct warfare and foreign policy. I'm inclined to believe however, that it's just access to power in general that affects one's inclination towards 'political' violence.
  20. soliloquise

maybe.. but maybe they are adopting " male " traits to survive against other patriarchal cultures . i have not looked into it enough, but i very much doubt society would be half as violent and abusive if women had more power. nearly every system of power is male dominated
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.