Why are dogs' lifespans so damn short??

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by theleastofthese, Dec 7, 2006.

1. theleastofthese

theleastofthese SF Friend Staff Alumni

A dear friend's dog just had to be put to sleep - lymphoma invaded the whole body. The dog's daughter is distraught, as is my friend. Why do dogs have such a short lifespan when the foulest of people can live to be 100 yrs old?? What was God thinking when he gave Man's Best Friend such a short life?? Puts me in mind of the Pascal quote: "Plus que je connais les hommes, plus j'aime mon chien." (the more I know men {mankind} the more I love my dog) I sent her a sincere sympathy card but am powerless to lessen her sorrow. I hate feeling like this. I go nuts when my pet mouse dies..:sad: I got her a little gift - a coffee cup that said: "dog person - will beg for coffee" but feel horrible that I cannot lessen her loss.

no response needed, just wanted to let out my frustration.j

2. ~CazzaAngel~

~CazzaAngel~ Staff Alumni

:hug: Awww least, I know...I have been thinking about that lately too. it's sad...I am closer to my kitty than I am with most people... :hug: :hug:
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

Sigh Least..me thoughts go with her..lost me much loved 19 year old dog this year :sad: :sad: :sad:
  4. LSD

LSD Well-Known Member

aww *hugs* its ok for both of you--
    i know a lost [animal or human].. hurts.. -
  5. I prefer animals to humans; I've never had one of my four-legged animal :dog: companions betray me. Wish I could say the same thing about the two-legged animals. :no:
  6. cdub

cdub Member

Sorry to hear about your friend's dog.

I grew up on a farm, and we had several dogs thruoughout the years, b/c they kept getting hit by cars. I miss everyone of them dearly. I still keep part of a foam ball that my first dog chewed up in the yard hours before he was hit and killed by a car (I was in 3rd grade at the time). He was a good dog.

Another dog we had lived a very long life, about 10 years. He was my favorite of all and the kindest, most gentle, loyal being I have ever met. And I don't think I ever cried so hard in my life, as when I came home from break on college in the fall of 2000 only to find out that my dog had passed. I cried so hard, carrying his body to a grave behind an old shed on my parent's farm. My dad intially had his body sitting in a wheel barrell so we could wheel him over to where he was to be barried about 100 feet away. But I just had to carry him by hand (I cried the whole way), after all he had done for me. He was one of the best friends I've ever had.

One more thing, I just found out that another dog my folks use to have (our neighbors took him w/ them when they moved, b/c he always went to their house anyway) just passed away 2 weeks ago. He lived to be about 15 years old. He was a very protective and loyal dog as well and will be missed.