Why are painkillers bad?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Asmoday, Dec 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Asmoday

Asmoday Active Member

I don't smoke and I don't like alcohol much, I never tried illegal drugs and I never used legal drugs for non-medical reasons. But I've been trying painkillers lately when I'm in a very bad mood and it seems to help a lot. I'm not using them to feel high or anything like that in the movies(which is fake). I just get one when I'm feeling really down and it helps. I know there are people with chronic pain who take a few painkillers every day for years yet most of them don't get any bad side effects. So why shouldn't I use them? It's not like I'm thinking about the future anyway even if there is a small chance that they may harm after using them for several years.

By the way I'm using one particular painkiller and others may not have the same effect. But I'm not gonna write which one I'm using so that it doesn't look like I'm advertising.

Thanks in advance for the information :)

2. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I don't think painkillers are damaging in the short term, but continued use over a long term period is definitely not a good idea without consulting your doctor first. It all depends on what you're using of course, but if you use them over a long period of time you're bound to get addicted. And of course you're body will start building up a tolerance for the drugs, and you have to take more to get that relief that you want to feel. And of course someday when you really need the painkillers, they won't make a difference. The real damage though is what the pills can do to your liver and kidneys.

But as I said, it all depends on what you take, the quantity and the frequency at which you take the drug.

3. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

hi
    how are you
    painkillers & alcohol both work in brain and cns(nervous system) you cant take them both togather...both of them make them like double...both make you dizzness(drossness) much worse than each alone....

the painkillers can highly abuse & addiction....even if you are talking one pill...this pill can make you tolerance(get use to & depend on...its a step before the addiction) the other thing about the painkillers is when you get use to taking some...it will be no longer afect yourbody...also painkillers can make the normal painkillers that relase orginally from the body to stop...

you also cant take both alcohol & prescription painkillers togather (in high dosage) is cos can led to complicated things...like come, some liver damage,brain death.

i hope i answered your Q...and i would love to answer any other Q.
    take care

4. Ordep

Ordep Well-Known Member

Hey, I have CFS (Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) so I have acess to both medium effect painkillers for my regular days and powerful ones for when the pain hits me harder.

That said, it all boils down to what kind of painkillers you're taking. Weak and medium ones do not develop an addiction at all, or only do so after a long period of time, thus these side effects may never get noticed, but on the other hand 1 pill a day of a strong painkiller is a fast way to get an addiction sooner or later... I know I developed one some time ago and had to be switched meds.

And bear in mind that painkillers are made to relieve physical pain, not psychologycal symptoms so you're pretty much hunting your prey with the wrong weapon. The fact that you're feeling so relaxed from painkiller usage is likely because there's no pain to kill and the pill may be a bomb in your system. What you should do is visit a therapist or psychologist who can prescribe you better and much more safer pills for your condition

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Painkillers are the ONLY pill that has ever helped my depression. Alcohol usually helps but not in the same way. Painkillers... specifically opiates... actually make me feel good. Warm inside. Like I am excited to get through the day.

A year ago I used to do them with a friend very often. I remember I did a heavy amount in three days. So was feeling very wonderful for three days straight. Then I went home. That night I cried for two hours for no reason. It's something, if you use often, you definitely miss when it's gone.

I wish they would give me something like this for depression medication. I've been on a million different depression meds and they've all done zilch.

If I knew where to find them I'd be on them right now for sure.

6. Asmoday

Asmoday Active Member

I used Parol. Is it weak,medium or strong?

The reason I don't want to go to a psychologist is because I know they won't just give me the pills. They will want to talk first. The talking goes on for years even with people who have few issues so there's no way that they can make everything ok in a few years for me. That's why I don't want the stress of talking about things to a stranger that I don't even talk to my best friends.

7. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

As I understand - Parol is equivalent to Tylenol or Panado, which isn't all that strong, but as Ordep put it so elegantly - you're fighting the depression with the wrong meds.

Don't be afraid of the therapy part. I know it may seem scary discussing your problems with a complete stranger, but it can be liberating as well. I don't think you can get much better with just medication alone. Sure it may help for a while, but eventually you'll fall back into the patterns that was so destructive in the first place. You need to get to the core of the problems you're facing and all the medication in the world is not going to do that for you. And therapy doesn't have to be in the time frame of years. It can only take a few months and you can always stop if you don't like your psych.

8. Disappear

Disappear Well-Known Member

Everyday pain killers ruin your liver, and are bad for your kidneys -in large overtime usage. That is also why they are not good to OD on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.