Why are people so determined to think the worst.

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Scum, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I don't like it.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Yeh i don't like it either they don't even try to see the good in one really
  3. Things

Things Well-Known Member

You mean here? Well, depression warps your perception.

For non-depressed people, well...I guess it's just a cynical generation. *shrugs* I'm one of those people, but I'm trying not to be. :/
  4. Young suicider

Young suicider Well-Known Member

Because I try to be realistic.I don't want anymore false hopes.

And if I think the worst,it can only be better than I thought.
  5. CloudCatching

CloudCatching Well-Known Member

Because once you've programmed something into your mind such as "This will never work out" or " I will never be happy", you're imprisoning your mind set... So to speak.

As an example you know they chain up baby elephants, and no matter how hard they pull, tug, or whine that chain isn't going to let them go. So, when they grow up the same amount of chain can be used to chain them up. They don't try to escape anymore, because even though it's quite obvious they'd be able to, they have the whole mindset of 'I can't do this', so they never take that leap of faith.

Now, think of all the things you've stopped yourself from enjoying just because you already told yourself you wouldn't enjoy them, or that you're destined to be forever unhappy.
  6. Things

Things Well-Known Member

CloudCatching: Well said!

Young Sucider: Or, due to expecting the worse, you prevent yourself from trying and staying unhappy...pretty much what CloudCatching said, but not as nicely put.

I'm the exact way though. :/
  7. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

I guess it's kind of like helplessness. If I think I can't do something, I won't do it. Unfortunately that seems to be most things -__-.
  8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Maybe because trust has been violated, if it's to do with relationships. This is a huge issue for me.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2010
  9. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Because for many people, the worst is usually the truth and they've probably learned that through their life experiences.
  10. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

Nope, nothing to do with here and nothing to do with anyone else, so nothing to do with people's perceptions of life. This is to do with people who know me always thinking the worst about me.

But thanks for thinking the worst and presuming it was a dig at everyone else :D
  11. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

If the people who think the worst of you REALLY took the time to get to know you (and had any sense or decency), they'd realize that you don't deserve to be thought of in that way because you're a good person; you put so much effort into everything and you give so much.
  12. yous

yous Well-Known Member

That's the whole point, nobody takes the time. Everyone just reads everyone like they do the front cover of a book without opening the book and reading from beginning to end and then understand it. More so these days with technology, everyone has a time span of less than a flea. I always thought if people took the time to get to know someone and even having the courage to look past all the exterior faults, they might find someone who could be potentially be one of the best people they've ever know in their entire lives. Yet they pass up these opportunities with each person they quickly scan and throw aside. Such a shame.
  13. Chameleon76

Chameleon76 Well-Known Member

Because the majority of people in this world aren't trustworthy.

If they were, we wouldn't need alarm systems, or locks on doors, or security passwords to access everything.
  14. Scum

Scum Well-Known Member

I would like to say that this question was not me asking anyone here, it was me asking, generally. Those who have answered have pretty much missed the point (because there was no point for anyone to get, you all just made your own and made presumptions) apart from WildCherry (who knows some of what has been going on) and also yous who posted that wonderfully thought provoking response, and also ~violet~ who responded first. Thank you, you three.