Why are people so racist???

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by stuckinchicago6, Apr 12, 2010.

1. stuckinchicago6

stuckinchicago6 Well-Known Member

It seems like there are even levels of whiteness among different Caucasian people here. I am southern European and my skin is probably whiter than most Anglos and northern Europeans, yet I always have to be made to feel super ethnic or different. I don't get it. I have to be made to feel exotic. Now, I am going to seem racist, but I do not even feel comfortable dating guys outside of my ethnicity anymore. Although, if he is from another Mediterranean country then that is ok too and I feel comfortable. When I was in high school, it was the opposite. I dated guys from different backgrounds and my friends were all different from me. Now, I am just sick of having to explain myself.
    I have no idea how my aunt is married to white protestant guy from the southern United States. She has had to adopt all his customs even speaking in a fake Southern accent. They have been married pretty much my whole life, but I do not feel like he is my uncle. When he is in our house, he does not even have the decency to not eat meat on a Friday during Lent! Like seriously, I would always respect the traditions of another person. I eat pork, but if I was in a Muslim household visiting, I would not eat it out of respect. I just feel so attacked and disrespected when people can not respect my culture..

2. cult logic

cult logic Staff Alumni

Anyone that claims racism for not wanting to date out of one's ethnicity/color is a fool.

As for the rest of the thread I'm having trouble relating it to the title so I won't comment on it.

3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

That's just retarded. Don't associate yourself with anyone who wants you to change the way you act or look! It's honestly not worth it...
    You don't need to explain yourself at all-
    Especially if you're living in the states! That makes zero sense!! XD AHH!

I feel your frustration- trust me. ><

4. stuckinchicago6

@ Fawkes
    I'm not claiming that is racist. I'm saying that I wouldn't date outside my culture. Also, I am trying to say that I don't understand how somebody can say I'm whiter than you. That is just stupid.

5. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Culture and race are not synonymous, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. It seems that you have more of a problem with behaviors than with race. Being "whiter" than another White person, I don't understand either.

6. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I pretty much don't have any real ethinicity of even really a strong culture. But I love it when someone I date does and actually enjoy following even the smallest parts of it and trying and learning about it, so I think it's wrong to assume every white guy will be like your uncle.

7. stuckinchicago6

It is a personal thing. I don't expect others to understand unless you are from a similar background as me or just any ethnic person (non Anglo and non Protestant) then you will understand what it is like to be made to feel inferior and less white when compared to the WASP majority. Not that there is anything wrong with being Anglo or Protestant, I have just had negative encounters and they are different from those of us who have parents who are immigrants and we are not part of the Anglo core so we are made to feel less white, although we are still classified as Caucasian.

8. stuckinchicago6

you are right though, xan. not every white guy is like my uncle. i think there are many educated and well traveled men that respect other cultures.