Why are there hundreds of pro ana/mia sites, yet only a few pro suicide ones?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Blackness, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blackness

Blackness Guest

Why are there hundreds of pro ana/mia sites, yet only a few pro suicide ones?

Suicide is death, but anorexia and bullimia can cause death too.
    I think an anorexic's body reveals what many of us feel like inside..STARVED.
    I've been searched around all day at these sites, they are good, provides, tips, tricks, photos, recipes, calculators, and the best thing of all...thinspiration. Today I decided to start fasting again, I'm not planning on achieving anything by it but not eating is fun, I'm almost at 9 hours, I know that's weak but I wanna see how far I can go. I am disgusting and just feel so yuck, and food is evil! bones are beautiful! Nothing beats seeing your ribs sticking out!

2. nagisa

nagisa Chat & Forum Buddy Staff Alumni

I know what you mean... there are a million Pro-ED sites but hardly any pro-suicide, which is weird since a lot of people with eating disorders end up killing themselves because they can't take it anymore.

I've decided not to eat anything today but I'll let myself drink stuff of course since it keeps the metabolism going. That is the most important thing... It help you lose. And I agree one of the best feelings in the world is seeing those ribs sticking out. It is amazing.

But sweetie, remember to take vitamins. Your body need them to keep going. Take care, love!! *hugs*

3. you know something? you're seriously pathetic to say not eating is fun.
    it is NOT fun.
    it is torture.

if you had any sort of eating disorder, you wouldn't say it's fun.
    it's nowhere near fun.
    it's sheer hell.

having an eating disorder isn't a way to lose weight - if you wanna do that, do it the healthy way.

cause i'm telling you now, if you go down this path, then i guarentee no return.
    it won't be fun for long.

4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

That's a very good question blackness, i have also noticed theres tonnes of pro ana sites, but don't have any luck finding pro suicide/choice websites. I have no clue as to why that is:mellow:

5. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

A lot of those sites are just ways that people, with all sorts of eating/body issues use, to cling on to help them survive. I don't see the majority of people using them actively wanting to die (physically), it's just another way of coping with things. I used to use one erratically. Not all pro ana forums are the same and people helped me and urged me to get help when I was quite seriously falling apart physically and there were lots of very interesting and insightful discussions because the place I used to visit was generally for anybody/at any weight/ who was struggling. I personally, couldn't ever encourage someone to do the things I did and always felt uncomfortable/an outsider even in the one place where people had lots of interesting things to say but....when you're at rock bottom- people are there to help especially people who are suffering and knows what it's like and it does help- they helped me keep safe. Not all pro - ana sites are there to kill off people or follow the same format. I don't have any use for them now though, thankfully.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2008
  6. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

I have always been intrigued by pro ana websites, I even understand where they are coming from to a certain degree.

I mean the VAST majority of people do not think extremely skinny women are attractive. Hips, butt and breasts are all indicators that a woman is fit for child brith and extremely sexy attributes ... anorexia completely wruins the beautiful shape of a womans body.

But, there will always be a tiny minority who like the way a really skinny woman looks. And most of this minority seems to be the woman themselves.

If they do it for men, it should be stopped because the VAST majority will not find them attractive. But, if they do it solely for themselves because they like the 'look' ... who am I to force them to stop. I think they should me made to understand people do not find them attractive, but if they like themselves that way ... more power to them I guess.

7. worlds edge

worlds edge Well-Known Member

I think most commercial servers won't host "pro-choice" suicide discussion. Especially if methods are discussed. Too much liability risk, plus it is possibly illegal in some jurisdictions.

The pro-ana stuff is certainly unhealthy but it is also not directly discussing anyone's demise. LiveJournal actually told the people complaining about the group run through them that they weren't going to do anything. I doubt a "pro-choice" suicide discussion group would last ten minutes.

8. nagisa

Ummm... No one said it was FUN. When you have an eating disorder seeing a lower number on the scale DOES make you feel a heck of a lot better but it isn't FUN to not eat. It is pure agony! I don't know about Blackness, but I've been struggling for years with eating disorders. She's probably been sturggling for just as long. It isn't as easy as just saying 'oh if you want to lose wait you should do it healthily'. That is why it is called a DISORDER.

9. well duh i know that, ive had anorexia and struggled with bulimia since i was 10.
    but she said it was fun
    ''I'm not planning on achieving anything by it but not eating is fun''

10. nagisa

She only said it BECAUSE she is eating disordered.

11. if she was eating disordered, she wouldnt say it was fun.

12. nagisa

I understand what you are saying. Believe me I do. But I really don't agree. You don't know her situation. I don't either to be honest but you can't judge her like that. She probably goes through the same turmoil that you and I do.

13. im glad you understand what im saying, because i wouldnt say it was fun in the least.
    its not fun. at all.
    hence why it sort of offended me.

14. nagisa

If you ever want to talk about it or anything else you can PM me. :hug:

15. thanks i appreciate that.

16. Blackness

Blackness Guest

wow thanks for your support. Calling someone pathetic who you know nothing about on an internet forum is pretty low man....
    Wow so I used the word "fun" I use it all the time, maybe it was the wrong word...move on. We all have different views, you just have to accept one another.

17. lol dont u start with me.
    its pathetic u called it fun when its nowhere near fun.

18. hammockmonkey

hammockmonkey Well-Known Member

one morbid reason, if you're really pro suicide an you hang out with a bunch of people who are pro suicide, you'll prolly kill yourselves and boom no more forum.

were as if you like to starve yourselves so you can look like scarecrows and you get support from other scarecrow wannabes its easier. while it might be dangerous to starve yourself, it isn't necessarily deadly.

19. cayzira

cayzira Well-Known Member

After what happened to the ASH newsgroup, I think servers are scared of hosting a pro-suicide website.

Look at what happened to (Web page name removed), they were pretty much pro life, they just had a section the members could post pictures of S/I (To me it actually help act as a deterrent) but due to people "competing" they had to close it.

At the end of the day I see the lack of pro-suicide sites as a positive, things can be hard enouth when people are trying to help you, but if you feel s*** anyway, and then someone encourages you...

20. ggg456

ggg456 Guest

Women's magazines are pretty pro-ana to me. Our environment is pro ana. Sometimes I don't understand the furor around pro ana sites when you look at what is fed to people day in day out by mainstream media. And when you look closely, they are generally telling you to eat nothing, that you're worthless and are belittling you all the time but with nice acceptable pretty images of women rather than the scawy skeletal people but the underlying messages are pretty much the same..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.