Why are there so few female school shooters?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Aphorism, Sep 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aphorism

Aphorism Well-Known Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/School_shooting

And I know, wikipedia isn't supposed to be all that reputable. But you never really hear about them. School shootings that have been in the media seem to be all by males, and wikipedia claims only two instances of female shooters have been documented.

This notion kind of bothers me. Is it that boys really have more nerve or more violent tendencies? Maybe they just have better access to weapons?

It makes me feel that we're all due for a very intense female shooter, because she'll think she's setting some sort of precedent...

2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

IMO, yes...men/boys are naturally more violent...perhaps genetically.

But it also comes down to nurture as well. When I was at age 8-15, the males were usually playing "army" games with toy guns, etc... Some of the boys had access to real guns and their father's took them shooting.

The girls would play with dolls at the younger ages, then got into sewing, ballet, etc.

That is only what I experienced and saw on my street in the 60's.

So, IMO...it's a combination of nature/nurture. Again, this is only my opinion and not based on any studies or search of info. Though I feel like looking it up right now...so I will and then will post again.

Interesting thread!

OK...found it on Wiki, which I have always thought had accurate info based on real stats with links to back up their info and documentation on most of their claims! Anyway, the info on gender violence is found in this link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Violence where they also talk about nature/nurture issues in depth.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2010
  3. Johnnyc

Johnnyc Well-Known Member

Men are afraid of such emotions as grief, anxiety, guilt,depresion,and understanding etc.
    We feel above that, we can handle it, whether or not we can.

School shoting's are a result of built up anger we are not entirely used to so we act on instinct instead of logic.

This is just my opinion.

4. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

As has been said, it's because men tend to be physically agressive, so when they decide to go on a rampage, they act out with physical violence.

5. Monsieur

Monsieur Well-Known Member

Interesting topic. I agree with shades in the aspect that it's probably a combination of nature/nurture. I mean, I guess someone could argue that girls can be just as aggressive as boys but honestly that sort of thing tends to manifest as emotional/psychological aggression towards others. Name calling and rumors are quite ethereal and short term concepts for boys, for it usually regresses into physical confrontation (as encouraged by society for young boys) with enough provocation.

I think that's the overall concept of these school shooters are running on, real or perceived provocation and humiliation. A combined complex of hormonal imbalances, depression, possibly narcissism and psychopathy, along with what they perceive as an "me vs world" situation often leads to these tragic results in boys.

I can't say I'm exactly sure of how the scenario plays out for girls in the same predicament, but I remember reading somewhere that girls tend to collapse inward on themselves instead of out, leading to suicide and serious drug addiction.

6. poison

poison Well-Known Member

agree completely with the nature/nurture notion. this is something i've always wondered myself. good topic, OP.

7. Punk

Punk Well-Known Member

Are they crap shots so they dont bother?

8. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

I've never even really thought of it before...

You know... I've had a strong maternal instinct even when I was a small child. I couldn't imagine shooting anyone; let alone a kid.
    That's just horrible.
    I want to protect people, not kill them-- even if they were total assholes to me since I started school. -__- that doesn't mean anyone should die.

I just feel like girls tend to think things through more.
    They also feel guilt differently than males do. More immediate, I think.
    It doesn't seem to be in our nature to kill people.
    We're the bearers of children and the gatherers of fruit XD not the hunters, y' know?
    Not that I'm trying to sound sexist, since things have obviously changed since times of cavemen, lol, but girls are usually known to be more openly emotional and will talk to friends rather than bottle things up and let hatred ferment and fester.

9. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

I maybe wrong, but wasn't it a girl that started this phenomena?
    Brenda Spence in 1979, shot up her school because she "don't like Mondays"
    giving rise to the Boomtown Rats hit.
    I think I read somewhere she's up for parole soon.

ps: we don't have this happening at our schools, because we don't have free access to guns ....just a thought.

10. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

Don't be takin our guns off us, you COMMUNIST, OBAMA LOVIN, MARXIST MUSLIM TERRORIST!!!

...or something like that...

(p.s sorry, couldnt help myself ;)

11. shades

shades Staff Alumni

:hysterical: I'm pretty sure you were kidding right?

But you solidify the point that it's the U.S. at the top of the list! In Michael Moores film "Bowling For Coumbine" (the link is available) he points out that Canada has just as many guns per person as the U.S., but the U.S. has so many more shootings that there has to be another underlying cause.

I believe the movie's p.o.v. is that the U.S. is more violent at it's core, from the top down...i.e., the government gets involved in more wars, etc. Again, the link is available.

Sorry, got off topic...it's about male/female shootings. I never had any interest in shooting a gun. I've only done it once at a range and it was quite frightening to see all those MEN WITH GUNS...there were no women there at the time. Anyway, several people above have made good points as to why the situation exists.

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

How many young girls are in self destructive relationships and have eating disorders/drug dependencies, depression? How much violence is being turned inwards? The same level of violence is still there, doesn't get public attention but is silence/death all the time, every day, everywhere.

Many are busy killing themselves in silence, eventually die - or harming each other through other types of aggression.

Or maybe they've got an avenue (art, music, theatre) to express and externalise the violence they feel safely, which should be encouraged. I did/have done this myself for over 20 yrs.

It could be to do with developing personality (sociopathy, narcissism), especially if someone was planning rather than acting on impulse/rage/anger. That isn't exclusive to boys, but, in my experience girls have more covert and insidious ways of harming each other through externalised violence especially in a group.

Yes, I agree.

13. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

HOW DARE YOU !! call me an Obama lover...the sod sent back Winston Churchill's bust!

:rolleyes:

14. LetItGo

LetItGo Staff Alumni

I think the U.S is a more militarized culture. Ive seen documentaries on how the army moves into poor neighborhoods to drum up recruits on school campuses, shopping malls and so on. That sort of thing just wouldn't happen here. They promote themselves at dedicated career expo's and such, but nowhere near as forcefully...they just sit in the background here, which is probably one reason why they struggle for recruits, that, and nobody wants to fight america's wars anymore, for better or worse.

Access in the U.S just seems a massive problem. If you can buy semi-automatics in Walmart...that can't possibly help the situation.

15. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

lol
    I just wanted to say...

I've only met a military recruiter once in my life.
    It was at a job fair and he was trying to recruit people into the technology (specifically film,documentary and photography) division.
    There was no pushing for anyone to actually do it.
    I *did* hold his camera for a few minutes though! The thing weighed like, 50lbs!!

As for guns; my family own a whole gun closet full of them.
    All hunting rifles.
    I've never seen a hand gun before... and it's rare that I ever see any 'shootings' on the news.
    ...lots of stabbing though.
    Torontonians need stricter knife laws!!

--Ontario, Canada-- by the way. Also known as "North Mexico" lol

16. mulberrypie

mulberrypie Well-Known Member

butter knives only!

17. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

This actually intersting. And someone at some point in this thread said about boys and girls playing different sorts of games and stuff. I was alwas a tom boy and into army games and stuff. I used to kill my barbies alot. I have 3 older brother's and a cousin used to live with me. The only 'girly' stuff I played was with my two eldest brothers who didn't live with us. Also my dad liked to teach me self-protection as I'm his youngest and only girl.
    My point is that even though I'm female, due to nurture, I resort to violence quicker than alot of my other female friends. Of couse this is just me personally and many other things would contribute to whether or not anyone participated in a school shooting. I live in England where it's more difficult to get hold of a gun but it's not impossible. I wouldn't take a gun to school when I went but I did have very vivid dreams where I did. (that makes me sound mental, but I'm just being honest)

18. sinnssykdom

sinnssykdom Banned Member

I think this theory goes hand in hand with the whole 'men are more likely shoot/jump etc while woman are more likely to cut/OD etc' thing. I mean obviously this doesn't go for ALL men and woman but like others states i think men generally more violent and more likely to act aggressively to things than woman. I think it's just more 'natural' to them than woman, of course not to say that there aren't female shooters. I also just thought of another thing, don't be offended, but i think this yet again goes hand in hand with the fact that there are more male killers(by killers i mean murderers) than female. And no i am not comparing suicide with murder or school shooting i know they are all different things but i think the whole violent theory thing sort of goes together with these three topics.

19. Viro

Viro Well-Known Member

I think that there has been a solid link between school shootings and suicide since Columbine. The school shooting is a suicide attack, now. When you look at shooters who have survived, they have all been forcibly disarmed, or wounded. The vast majority end their rampages with suicide.

20. cloudy

cloudy Well-Known Member

you;ve got to lose your mind and will to live to do such a thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.