Why are we all trying to live?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by deleteworld, Dec 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

Why are we encouraging people to live on. If they felt distressed enough that they want to end their life, we should respect that and give them support. Give them a better and painless way to end their life.

2. Powerpuff

Powerpuff Active Member

If someone wants to die, there's not much that can be done, they will do it. But if they come to a forum like this to say they want to die, to me this seems that maybe they want to live, maybe they want to hear words telling them to try and live on. If people really wanted to die they would just do it and not come to this forum, I feel that they come here for words of encouragement, that there is hope.

3. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

Then why is it illegal to suicide in most places? If you fail in the process, they would throw you in institution that will watch you over so you can never attempt again? Why is it so hard to pull the plug at hospitals?

4. Powerpuff

Powerpuff Active Member

I don't make the laws. Ya gotta ask the ones that do make the laws for the answer.

I always wondered why I was put in jail for prostitution. They say that is the law.

I don't know how to change the laws.

5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

Many times, suicidal thoughts are triggered by things such as chemical imbalance, temporary depression, the onset of a bad situation in the height of mourning or feeling sad, neglected, or abused, and even by reactions to various medications. To assume that these temporary or potentially reboundable situations are reason to allow suicide is irresponsible to the morals of a civilized society.

In addition, in the situation here, as Powerpuff so accurately points out, the mere fact that someone has come here to a pro-life site online to talk about their intent to harm themselves is, perhaps even subconsciously, a cry or a desire to seek out help.

While it may be "illegal" to die by suicide, I'm not sure the legality of it matters in respect to it. I mean, if someone dies by suicide, I don't think they are really concerned about getting into trouble since at that point they don't exist any more. As far as throwing into institutions, I guess that was true many years ago but in most countries (the U.S. at least for sure) there are not facilities for this any more. At most, someone might (probably would) be remanded for evaluation and a temporary holding period, though certainly it's not a life sentence of hospital imprisonment.

Life has value and a good person thinks of others, not just themselves. Many people care, taking the above mentioned considerations in mind, about the well being of those around them.

6. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

..... Absolutely, thank you PWA - your words have helped me in my continual healing :)

7. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

I am feeling suicidal. It's true that not everything is perfectly going well in my life. But that is not the reason that I am feeling suicidal. I don't know about you guys but I am sure you heard of absurdism? I just don't know why I need to live on. I do love my families and friends but who cares after you are dead. You won't have feelings to feel bad about them crying about you. I just feel that this world is not even close to being perfect and the hatred towards it is just grew upto a point that I don't want to continue living in it anymore.

The fact that when I tell my feelings to others, they are trying to convince me otherwise. It irritates me how everybody wants to just disagree with my feelings.

8. pickwithaustin

So what you are saying is that you love your family but you don't care how they feel? That is not loving them. As a father who lost a child, I can tell you that it absolutely crushes a parent to a degree you can never comprehend until you walk in these shoes.

As far as the world not being perfect... I agree. This is why I spend as much time as I possibly can in trying to make at least some parts of the world better. It is easy to say the world is not perfect and use that as a reason to give up... but why not try actually trying to turn things around and do things that make the world better? If each person would do that rather than giving up to die, the world would be perfect... right?

9. youRprecious!

Honey, you do not know that you will not have any feelings after you die. That's just how it appears from this angle.

It is too easy just to say "I don't believe in the paranormal/supernatural" as if it, therefore, could never apply to you, just because you do not believe in it. There are many documented cases of this phenomena who have died in extreme/mysterious circumstances that appear tro come back because of the strength of their feelings.

10. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

Dude, you can't just assume that I don't love my family. You know nothing about me.
    How would you feel if I said your love towards your child is fake? Do you feel better?

11. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

There is no god. There is no afterlife. You die then you die. There is nothing to it. It's all in your brain, your neurons that gives you power to think. So if a mentally challenged person who couldn't think properly died, they would stay in the same mental state? Honestly, this is 2012. Learn some science.
    I would like you to give me some examples of those documented cases. I can tell you that each and every one of them is just a mere hallucinations before death. It's like dream. You can't dream stuff without your past experience. Like blind people can't dream about images that we see. If they saw something, it is the image they have been thinking about before their death. It's not that they actually saw heaven.
    Religions are great to heal your soul. Telling people to love others. Those are great. But when it comes to afterlife, it's all brainwashing. I've had religions for a long time and it took me great pain to forget about what they told me. It has a great influence on your day to day activities. Nobody knows what will happen after death. There can be millions and trillions of things that could happen or nothing at all will happen. However, the possibility of maintaining your emotions which is greatly controlled by your brain is close to zero.

12. pickwithaustin

Again, love is not about you feeling bad... it is about THEM feeling bad or not. I would gladly take the worst pain in the world that anyone could shovel upon me if taking that pain meant not hurting those I care about. Please try to find a better solution for them and yourself. That's all I am saying.

13. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

What you are saying is not helping at all. Don't talk as if you know about me. Why are you obsessing over the word love. I could have made a mistake when I expressed my feelings towards my family. Don't try to play words with me. I know that I love my family and you are just trying to tell me that I don't? What's your point.

14. pickwithaustin

My point is that you are important to them. I stated the point: "Please try to find a better solution for them and yourself. That is all I am saying." I apologize if what I was saying came out sounding offensive in some way, it was not the intent. I'm sorry. People do care about you, I hope that you find a solution that is positive. I believe in life, I can't help it.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2012
  15. youRprecious!

You have no proof whatsoever that there is no God - Science is challenged when it comes to explanations of the 'Why?' questions - it only exists to answer the 'How?' questions. We have choices as to what we will believe, and people will only believe what they want to, and make up plausible sounding reasons for what they do not want.

However, you would have to be mighty clever and all-knowing to say there is no God with any certainty. Science only tells us, amongst all its certainties, that there are things it can never tell us, only point to.....

16. Teva833

Teva833 New Member

I'm new here and apologize sincerely if this sounds presumptuous. But I have to think people who post here aren't beyond help. At least that's why I'm here. I 've been on the verge of killing myself the past few days (note on my front door for the mailman; pillows in the bathtub to muffle the shot). But I'm not beyond hope, a la Pascal's reasonable wager. I think there's hope for me or I wouldn't be posting here. The people I know in my life who killed themselves, did it so quickly, with no fanfare, almost no deliberation. It scares me so much when I think about how fast they did what they did.

17. youRprecious!

Hi Teva - welcome to SF :) That is right - that no one is beyond hope. We can embark on the journey towards abundant hope at the beginning of each new day. Hoping you will like SF :)

18. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

Before people knew what suns and moons were, they thought it was god. Before they knew about the weather and natural disasters happening due to air flows and whatnot, they thought it was god. People will still think it is god when things are hard to explain. That's what it is, and how it always will be. You are free to choose whatever you want to believe. I will take back what I said.

To me, existence of god sounds as plausible as existence of hogwarts and voldemort. You cannot prove that the magical world doesn't exist. I will make up a religion around it and get offended at everybody who says it doesn't exist.

19. youRprecious!

Honey - I would in no way whatsoever EVER try to make up anything in order to believe in it and say it is the truth - because I know it would be coming from me. In other words, it would be subjective.

the reasons I believe what the Bible has to say are many - and too long-winded to go into here in any depth, unless you are really interested...... but, they are all objective, i.e. originating outside of myself. And there is sufficient historical proof, and existential proof to substantiate these objective claims. I understand that it is very common just to dismiss these though, on the assumption that they all never happened.

Christianity is not a made up religion. It is about the revelation the Creator of the universe has given to all of humanity. Objectively. As subjects, we can come into awareness of this, if we want. We have the power to either accept or reject God's invitation - but we have no other power i.e. to make anything else up as true. :) (without deceiving ourselves, I mean - I know there are tons of made-up "truths" out there - but understanding the difference between Objective and Subjective helps)

20. deleteworld

deleteworld Member

I was christian and I know what you are saying
    Then I realized something was wrong. I was brainwashed. I cried and thought that god was speaking to me. It's all bullshit. It's all in your head.
    Bible is a collection of many books that HUMAN has chosen. It's not a book of god. People wrote stories and somebody decided to collect them in a one book. That's what it is. Of course there are historical facts just as there would be historical facts if someone wrote a book according to our generation. If you feel in peace by having a religion, go for it. I feel better without it even though I was christian for 18 years.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.