Why are you depressed?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I suppose everybody gets asked this at one time or another, but I think a lot of us never have sat down and pinpointed the reason(s) as to why.

A book I once read about depression told me "in order to see a future for myself, I have to deal with my past". I know I will never be able to fix the past... but if I can come to terms with it & find some sort of way of coping with the things that have happened, then maybe I can overcome it and move forward with my life. Forward to a place where I am happy and content.

So I think we should all take the time to look at why we are depressed and what is making us depressed/keeping us there. Then we can look at what can be done about it.
    It might help. :)
  2. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

great advice.
  3. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Most it is the past and unable to deal with it that keeps us depressed. If we could just undue the past or come to terms with it i guess that would help us to start to build a different pathway for ourselves. Some things are very hard to come to terms with but if we don't we stay the victim.
  4. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think you can depress yourself further by looking for reasons that may or may not be there.

I have issues from my past, I have accepted these things & I spent 2 years in therapy resolving them.

Despite this I am still depressed, now I am at a loss as to why I am still like this. I gave up searching for a reason a long time ago, now I just wait until I am strong enough to attempt again.

5. plates

plates Well-Known Member

i'm not depressed. i am not self harming or floating. which means. i'm feeling everything and have a need for a benzodiazapine when it gets to the point of self harming or killing myself (i do not want to do either)
  6. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I'm depressed because I can't point to what, exactly, is happening to me to make me have such anxiety, because I'm tired of the hormone rollercoaster, and because I'm sick of being like I am. I'm now doubly depressed because my dad's acting up again, and I have to move and I'll just dump everything and have to start over again. I can't bear it. I just want out.

Edit: and I'm bloody tired of the anxiety attacks over nothing!
  7. depleted_soul

depleted_soul Well-Known Member

I'm depressed because my entire life is shit and always has been. All efforts I've made to improve myself and my life have resulted in failure which just leaves me more depressed and thinking there's just no point or purpose for me. Therapy or medication have no positive effect on me. I no longer have any interests or hobbies and no energy at all to try to get new ones. I don't have any hope left to hold on to. I'm just a lost cause and honestly don't know why I'm even still here.
  8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Depression can be caused by physiological brain function and therefore there may not be any specific answer.
  9. Rachel123

Rachel123 Well-Known Member

I hate this question because I have no answer.
    I also hate when people ask me why I cut myself.

"Don't be sad"........Annoying.
  10. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I agree Rachel123.

11. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

A couple of reasons for me, mainly I have never been able to make a meaningful connection with anyone and so I pretty much spent my entire life alone. Also there are money and other "normal" problems that I just dont deal well with.
  12. delargeal

delargeal Well-Known Member

It's a question I've been asking myself for a long time. And to be honest, I've found no real answer.

There are the old ones of my parents wern't around much. My Dad was often working all the time. Etc.

Most people would probably try and claim it was my Grandfather's death 4 years ago or my father's stroke 2 years that caused it but I have suffered for longer than that. I remember first wanting to kill myself at the age of 13.

At school, I was labelled 'gifted and talented' with computers but I had no real interest in computers and people tried to force it on me. 'Oooh he's gonna be the next Bill Gates' and all that crap they tried to push me into. I even took a GCSE a year in advance and got fuck all from it. Not even a thanks or congratulations, just nothing. No joy, no happiness, I got nothing.

I was gonna keep going but I've analysed this sort of question repeatedly and come up with so many reasons, yet have never pinpointed an exact cause.
  13. Cheesecake

Cheesecake Well-Known Member

Three reasons that come to mind for me.

1. i live in the UK and its full of horrible looking dirty streets, old ugly looking buildings and lousy depressing weather. It sometimes make me phsyically sick to look at the city i live in (Norwich) and Norwich is supposedly one of the nicer looking Uk cities.

2. I dont get on with people very well, i either find them annoying or boring and i end up having nothing to say to people. Makes me sad and i wish i was a better person.

3. I dream of becoming an actor but i work full time in an old cafe thats falling apart. The people are nice but it bores me to tears. I'd love to train and become an actor but no one ever seems to encourage that idea and i have np experience or way in as i see. i was dropping hints to my parents that i might want to try to train as an actor and i'd need support but no words of encouragement.

They think i should be happy to have a job and a roof over my head, but ultimately to me thats like saying a rock should be thankful its not a piece of molten lava.

everythings such a damn struggle.. learning japanese, going to the gym, getting up in the morning, trying to be motivated to do my job..trying to be sociable even though im bad at being sociable.

Im just tired of struggling my way through life and often i just think it would be easier just to kill myself and get it over with. I never asked to be born anyway...

rant over.
  14. 13angels

13angels Active Member

I like to think I'm not really depressed.
    People think I'm a pessimist or nihilist, but I'm just a realist.
    I think it would be stupid to float through life in a bubble thinking everything is wonderful.
  15. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

1. My #1 is the extreme anxiety I have in social situations. This has basically lead to me never leaving my house except for school.

2. I have terrible insomnia and am always in a bad mood early in the day when I get less than 6 hours of sleep.

I guess those aren't a whole lot of reasons but #1 fucks with my life and has lead me to several suicide attempts. Just imagine being trapped in your house all of your life.
  16. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

Its my natural state of being...I dont now how to be any other way but depressed I guess....Im trying to be different tho...
  17. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I have been abused and bullied.
    But I think something in my brain is wrong...
  18. ZombiePringle

ZombiePringle Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend

Its just been a life full of bad. Abuse, neglect from my dad, horrible relationship type stuff, problems with friends... a few other things....
  19. delargeal

delargeal Well-Known Member

Pretty much the same with me. I've been like this for so long and since I was quite young that I just don't really know how to be different, how to be happy so to speak.
  20. bubblin girl

bubblin girl Well-Known Member

im depressed bcos many things...since i was child i know i was different..freak..since i boren i was so ugly & that hit me in the head.
    my family was so poor..and bcos im 2 ugly & let my parants in more finanial problem ive been beat in up/ physical abuse from both..father & mother and maybe i deserve it..
    then when i go to school...everybody was bully me..not only the student but also the teacher...i was the most ugly & stupied person in the whole shcool...i had no friend..but in the same time my family didnt allow me 2 go out side home & play much...and back then I START DEPRESSED..
    then,i start to be more & more depressed by the year...
    but i realy snaped bcos the shouting at my house between my father & mother...
    im now want to die.. i have no contact with people..im lonely...i donno who to talk to people cos ive been so far 4 along time...nobody ever loved me before...im stuck...and i can live anymore
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.