Why avoid?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by UsedToBe, Jul 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UsedToBe

UsedToBe Well-Known Member

Why should I avoid self harming in the first place? In my way of self harm the scars are not visible, no one knows about it (apart from my husband who doesn't believe in my SH anyway), it makes me in control so I can control at least one aspect of my shitty life. And blood tastes so sweet.

Why is it bad for me?
  2. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

It is self-destructive and can lead to infection, scars, nerve damage, other tissue damage, need for medical interventions, etc. Things we rarely think of in the emotionally charged moment of SH. And one day, those scars and such could be a source of embarrassment, even if they aren't right now.

SH does not resolve the problems, it just soothes the person temporarily. Life is never an even path, so there is always something down the road that becomes a trigger unless one has learned to actually deal with the feelings/issues behind SH. And if that has happened, the person won't be SHing anymore, hopefully.

Wouldn't it be better to learn and practice constructive coping methods so that SH isn't the first and/or only coping mechanism to come to mind?

Just my 2 cents, hun.
  3. khaste

khaste Member

Is that really enjoyable that you harm yourself?how bleeding can be enjoyable really?
  4. UsedToBe

Thank you Acy. I see your point. Just not ready to stop yet. Khaste, as I said before, when I do it I feel in control. It's up to me when it hurts and when it doesn't. It feels good being able to control at least one aspect of my life - physical pain.
  5. khaste

khaste Member

to tell the truth I DO agree with this idea!"It feels good being able to control at least one aspect of my life - physical pain"
    and actually now I think that you are right!
  6. jkeller4000

jkeller4000 Well-Known Member

oh, i guess thats why i never have cut, i have always felt i am in total control, i ran away once and when i did that it proved to myself that if there was anything i wanted to change about my life i could, i was in 7th grade i probably biked 40 miles that day,

but you should not hurt yourself, and the only reason that i can think of is because i said so!

if your blood tastes sweet please eat more candy, or kool aid :) or fresh strawberries, there you go put some sugar on ur strawberries and smear it all over where u usually cut yourself and then try tasting it, i know nothing is as good as the real thing but, maybe if you can trick your mind it will give you the same feeling,

i am kinda craving sugar right now mmmh sugar :) mhhh lime kool aid with double sugar,

or you really want to scar yourself :) try working at target for a while, as a cashier, after a year of that if you do not feel like a robot you might need to talk to someone, you will be so drained, so emotionally exhausted that you will not be able to do anything,

but i guess probably don't take any of my advice i have never been a cutter i tried it once, but as soon as i felt the metal on my arm i couldn;t do it, it just wasn't me,
  7. UsedToBe

Hi jkeller,

I don't cut myself. I bite my lips and cheeks and do other stuff to make me bleed and help me ease the pain. I still need to understand that I need to change it and it's one of the few aspects of my life I find hard to change.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.