Why bother being social?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by arielle, Feb 18, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arielle

arielle Member

Letting things get to me that don't really matter.

I can't believe I cried at work again, I'm such an utter loser sometimes. No one was around but as hard as I tried I couldn't prevent it. I'm just glad it didn't last long.

I'm not very pretty on the outside... so my pride, my self-worth is all my internal attributes. For someone to call me stupid, ignorant or foolish is the harshest insult anyone can ever give me. It even bothers me (greatly) when strangers do it.

Today I was on another forum... for a game that I play and have played for about two years now. We were just discussing some of the mechanics of the game when a member of our team basically replied to me and said I "didn't get it" and obviously "can't read" and that why should he bother to post anymore since my viewpoints are obviously incorrect.

I responded to him in private listing how he made me feel, why I was messaging him, how I had interpreted his post and basically tried to go the high road but I was upset so I also went back to the forums and said if the thread was going to turn into nothing but a bickering contest I wanted no part of it and I deleted all my posts (well, edited them and took out the text). That part was rather silly... he said so later and I have to agree.

I think what bothers me so much is I know on some things he's right. If he's right about me reacting in a silly manner... if he's right in that I may not understand one thing what makes him wrong when he says I'm an ignorant fool? If A=B and B=C then obviously A=C right?

What's worse is that I came here. I'm sad and feeling horribly torn apart and I came here for what? For a hug? For praise?
    Nobody here knows me either.

I'm such a loser that I don't have real friends to turn to just internet forums that get me all worked up when there's nothing legitamately wrong with me. I'm just a whiner who needs to STFU.

--Deep breath--

If I ignore him, the problem will go away. Everyone will ignore it ever happened.

I think the conundrum that bothers me is that I have no idea if people actually respect me or not. I try to take on authority roles out of the desire of being respected. I work very very hard trying to earn the trust and respect of others but maybe the reason I don't have any good relationships in friends is because I try too hard? Or that I say something really stupid--or I am really stupid--but I'm nice so nobody wants to hurt my feelings.

Am I a nice moron? The kind of person who is a real sweetheart so you could never actually tell them the reason why you never take their "advice" or listen to their "ideas" or value their "opinion"? Maybe I should just stop trying and curl up inside my little house and ignore the world.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

The problem is you're "Letting things get to me that don't really matter." and you're saying other people are to blame for that? My advice, ideas and opinions mean nothing, well no more than anyone elses anyway.

You can call me stupid, ignorant or foolish, that's great if you can teach me something, if you can make me appreciate life from a different viewpoint, if you can make me understand what it's like to be you. Maybe people can do that, maybe they can't. That's up to them, it's not my problem. I'll gladly be a fool... it seems to me that you obviously speak to people who sadly believe that they're not.

I doubt this is true, we all suffer pain in life, even if I get a little paper cut, my body tells me that something needs to be done. Ok it's not like I've lost an arm or a leg, but we have to pay attention to all the things that affect us.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2010
  3. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

You just want to be liked I guess. There really is no point getting worked up talking to strangers who have never seen you, I've often had moments like that, arguments online... I just laugh, switch the pc off and it's gone. I'm sure the guy you're talking to is just trying to come out on top by being picky... just ignore it and move on. People online can be such dicks due to the anonymity it offers. He's probably not thinking about it like you are either, this comes from experience.

4. neohume

neohume Well-Known Member

i'm a regular on a notoriously 'elitist' gaming forum,and situations like this are quite common. you really shouldnt feel bad about it.
    if people want to be a jackass and make a big deal about things that really arent that important, its their problem.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

What's more important? Getting on with other people or trying to make yourself feel superior to other people? You have to wonder which group most fools belong to.

6. Sammakko...

Sammakko... Guest

What are you talking about? You have got rights to your opinions and visions no matter what kind of other people keep them.....

If you do no "get it" problem is not your head it is anothers head if they want to change you and your thinking...

No one should say another they are stupid.. I am and I know that not change anything.. It is useless word, I wake up every morning still stupid no matter how much other people bug me....

You do not have to earn anything, be you and if others keep you stupid, that is their bad...

Reactions are your reactions, they do not belongs to any other person that you... That is why they are your reactions and not others...

If you can go outside to world, go!

7. Sammakko....

Sammakko.... Guest

And "Why bother being social?"

If you got powers to live alone, that is good. That is power what I want from the ass off my heart, I do not want anything else so much than enjoy to be alone. But it is not going that way... I obviesly rather give people beat and torture me verbal than be alone... Sick !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.