Why by Whitedove

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Bostonensis, Apr 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

LTM is a thrash bucket
    This is worth a discussion
    But as I said ,we might as well
    shut our mouth

Dove,love, don't do drastic move,I know
    this is a suppression.
    To you all, anyone who take this route
    must stand tall & make it ok to feed
    the admin with our hypocritic
    views.
    They always say ,we cared here but
    this is a blatant contrast of what
    they claimed.

Stand tall & must do the right thing,
    keep coming ,there is a route to get around it.
    I can guarantee that not all mods agree with it.
    Demand our rights,otherwise we are all
    hypocritical to say that we cared in here.

You know how to play the power & control game,
    let us just be a hypocritical follower.
    Then they become an impotent leader.

The right to Expression is an alienable
    right. They

already answer to my post that this is not
    a free speech site.
    I understand what they mean.

:starwars:

2. Robin

Robin Guest

Youre right, it's not a free speech forum and never has been, but we allow as much as we can, even created the soap box forum for the more controversial topics.

At the end of the day I set up the site with a pro life target in mind and that's how I intend it to stay, if you want to setup a free speech forum I can set you up for a few dollars a month, just let me know.

And people are cared about on the site, I would have topped myself this week if I didn't have my friends here that's how bad I've been feeling but members really open their heart and souls to those suffering here, if no-ones done that for you here yet then let me offer you my heart to weep on and I will be your friend, just drop me a pm anytime you have something on your mind :)

3. Patch

Patch Well-Known Member

you trash the site and a mod offers you a shoulder to lean on.

4. Bostonensis

Bostonensis Guest

At the end of the day I set up the site with a pro life target in mind and that's how I intend it to stay, if you want to setup a free speech forum I can set you up for a few dollars a month, just let me know.

At the end of the day, I wonder if it occured to you
    what it feels when you suddenly know
    you are banned from the only
    support you
    rely on?

If this is in deed a Pro Life ,with all the Pro life
    support ,it did not helped a tad bit
    that Agnes kill herself anyway.

I do believed that " Prro Life rules " needs some
    readjustments to some extent which will
    not violate both the poster & the listener.
    You own this site but in my humble opinion it is worth
    listening to our plights that we can all reach
    to an agreement by posting a Gallup poll,
    or a box to vent our suggestions & feedback
    about this site like most sites do.

We can do better, I asked not to coerce me
    in offering a few bucks ,for what we are
    lighting here does not have a dollar sign attach to it.
    Principles cannot be bought. Instilling fear
    make people revolt. And pen is mightier than
    sword.

The best solution to keep the peace & freedom
    from coercion is to compromise some of these
    rules as I read them is not balance as to what the
    purpose it claimed.

When it comes to the point that I no longer
    uphold my rights to free speech,
    rest assured that I can leave without regrets
    that I uphold the few others in the best way I can.
    Standing tall for what I believed in ,
    doesn't do me a bit to cast me out from the
    the popularity of mediocrity.

I signed off.

Thanks for the shoulder to lean, I wish instead of
    offering these shoulders for me,
    you offer the site for a wider
    shoulder for all on this site.

5. Robin

Robin Guest

The site was setup with the goal to help just one person, it's helped several people that have become very close to me alone, we can't be all things to all people and nor should we try and we can't save the world but should concentrate on those who want help then we can maximise what we do by focusing on these goals.

Keep it simple, like Bob Marley said, you can please some of the people some of the time but not all the people all the time. Wise words, at the end of the day the members compassion will do the most good on the site and that's not something you can put into rules.

6. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

robin, keep doing it like you've been doing, no complaints here. just a big thank you for helping me get better.

some sites, like psychcentral.com (where i found the link to here btw) have a no suicide postings policy, full stop. no discussing your feelings, your attempts, your recovery, no support, nothing.

this is a bit of a tempest in a teapot, as my mum used to say. when a member is placed under moderation they are told why. in this particular case it wasn't hard to see why, what with multiple drunk and abusive posts. stop with the abuse, and i'm sure the member will back to unmoderated status soon.

7. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

White dove isn't banned from the site. She's undermoderation, probably with a reason the mods see fit. I know what it's like to be undermod and no it's not fun, but you have to pay for the crimes so to speak. She is still free to post here.No one says she can't. The fact is Boston you shouldn't be fighting other people's battles, if she has an issue she canpost about it. :dunno:

8. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

The way I see it, this forum is here to offer support to those that are searching for it. All rules are posted and you are told to read and understand before posting. We need the mods here. If they didn't exist, this forum wouldn't either. It would of fallen apart long ago. When they make a decsion it isn't done "personally" against any member, but done to insure a safe stay for all memebers here. As for members that have passed, it was in the end, their decision and no one here can be held responsible for that. When I read things like that it really hurts. I like so many others really try to help members when they are at the end of their rope. When things are posted saying how if SF and the members could of done more well... it makes me feel like it is my fault personally that a member is gone. I try as hard as I can for everybody here. As for White Dove, the rules apply to everyone here. SHe isnt banned, she is under moderation. Yes it hurts, but then so may of the things that she did to deserve being put under moderation. It was her choice to do whatever she did. I'm assuming she was aware of the rules and regulations here. It's not like she is new member that may not be aware. Yes her pain is real and horrible but so is that of all of us here. This site is here for support and love, it never once promised to be the place to save your life. But as it turns out, happily,it has countless times. I would never ever tell anyone to leave, but if this forum doesnt suit you needs maybe it would be best to move on to one that does. In the real world, if you are standing in a spot where everyone who passes is stepping on your toes, you will either stand there and let it keep happening or you move to a different spot. Your choice, nobody elses, to make. That's all I'm going to say, before the mods have to do their job again.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 5, 2008
  9. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I agree with what you have said itmahanh. Thank you for wording it so well. :hug:

10. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

Sorry you have been feeling so bad lately Robin. Hope you're getting through it.

11. Robin

Robin Guest

Thx h2 :) :hug: :)

12. Falcon0006

Falcon0006 Well-Known Member

Besides if your coming here looking for help no matter what, why question the way in which we get help when we're either coming close to getting the help we needed, or getting the help we needed? Rules are a part of any society and the rules arent exactly FIERCE and TOUGH, their just guidelines to making this website a better place.

What's wrong with following a few guidelines if you'll get the help you needed? Besides we don't want one person's help to interfere with everyone else's help, otherwise it will just turn into anarchy. Robin knows what's going on, and gave lots of people the help they really needed, might aswell let him carry on doing a good job. :smile:

13. liveinhope

liveinhope Well-Known Member

:smile: well done to Robin, when we all came to SF we knew there would be rules we all read them and agreed to them, when people are feeling depressed as im sure we all know we can say or do things that are not within our normal character, if this were to e the case with many all at once and this site wasnt monitored it could cause chaos, i think we all have the freedom to say what we think and the ability to see others points of view.
    For me personally the site has helped me to fight the battle of depression and to maintain living thus far. As for White Dove our hearts go out to her and many here including myself have tried to reach her through pm and will continue to do so if she feels she needs support, but Robin has to consider all that choose to come here, you have done a wonderful thing by introducing this site to all those in distress, i have the upmost respect for you, and im sorry to hear you are doing so well yourself always happy to chat if its ever needed Robin tc hun hugs

14. Placebo

Placebo Well-Known Member

I'd just like to chime in on this topic by reminding everyone that this forum primarily caters to the mentally ill... and as such, it is a bit ridiculous to expect said individuals to "follow the rules". Many psychiatric disorders affect people's judgment, and prevents them from expressing themselves in a way which society deems as "appropriate". Punishing a mentally ill person (i.e. censoring their posts) for acting in a way they cannot control, is like chastising a wheelchair-bound invalid because they can't walk. Very unrealistic.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2008
  15. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

The rules here are not that difficult to follow. Basically, don't post methods, don't berate others and use abusive language towards members and/or encourage suicide and you're good to go for the most part. If you want a pro-suicide site, there are many out there.

The bottom line is that there are rules everywhere we go in life. Placebo, you say that these mentally ill people have no self-control...Do they wear clothes when they go outside? Do they go around murdering people? Do they stop at red and go at green? EVERYONE has to follow rules every day and 99% of people are not so mentally ill that they find this impossible.

The rules are in place for the safety of others and reflect the original intent of the creator of this site. Sorry. No free speech here. If you want a free-speech suicide site, anyone can feel free to start one and PM the address of said site to anyone they wish.

It's not hard.

16. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I second that.

17. Placebo

From what orifice, may I ask, did you pull that conclusion from?

I'm not pro-suicide... you would know this if you had actually READ some of my posts.

18. Esmeralda

Unfortunately, I have read TOO many. That being said, why don't you specify exactly what kind of "free speech" to which you are referring? What should people be able to say here, that is NOT pro-suicide, that they are being prohibited from saying as a result of the rules of this site?

These people are generally functioning members of society and manage to get through the day without breaking too many of society's rules. If they DO break the rules, there are consequences. Same goes for this site. Break the rules and face the ramifications of your choices, which may include being put under moderation or being banned altogether.

In my experience here, most of the people who blatantly break the rules WANT to be banned so that they a.) have a scapegoat for their poor decisions and b.) have cut off their line of support in order to prevent them from posting/chatting here, which might lead them to change their minds about committing suicide. In either case, they made their own choices and this forum is certainly not at fault in any way.

19. Placebo

:blink: And yet... you assumed that I'm pro-suicide... despite the fact that I always discourage it. :huh:

Did you read the starter post of this thread?

Oops... wrong. Ever hear of the "insanity plea"? Geeesh...

You obviously know nothing about mentally disturbed individuals... and more than likely, don't care to understand.

I agree... but "who's to blame" is not the subject of the debate.

20. Esmeralda

It's great that you discourage suicide and yet you say whatever comes to mind regardless of how it might make an emotionally unstable person feel.

Of course I read it. And if you know the incident to which the O.P. is referring, you know that the person this thread was started about came on under a different user name after being moderated and told the mods that they were responsible for her subsequent demise. She was under moderation for being very verbally abusive toward others on this site. This post is actually about a friend of mine, but she got drunk and lashed out at members and mods on this site and was hence moderated.

And I will re-iterate that 99% of people in society and a good percentage of people here do not qualify as being insane. Depression is not equal to insanity. Most of the people here are perfectly capable of following a few basic rules. If they are not, this forum is not the place for them. If they cannot follow a few basic rules layed down for the safety of everyone here, then they might look into clinical treatment of their disorders. This is not a mental institution, but a support forum.

Really? I know nothing of mentally disturbed individuals? I know enough to know that tearing someone apart verbally while they are in real pain is not going to help matters. Are you actually here to help, to get help, or to just grace us all with your infinite wisdom?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.