Why can't people speak freely here ?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by lilodian4ever, Oct 26, 2012.

1. lilodian4ever

lilodian4ever Account Closed

I mean seriously ??? If you want to be pro-life, why don't you join the damn Red Cross ? Why can't people speak freely here ? Anything we say is censored immediately by moderators.

If this were a site for minors (people under 18), I would understand, but we're adults here, damn it !

Why can't such a site be pro-choice ? Some people want to die and others want to live... it's as simple as that. Why can't both types be allowed to talk here ? Why can't both types receive support here ?

Let me tell you ... you're going to lose a lot of potential members and helpful conversations, by applying these restrictions.

At the very least, please explain why you are strictly pro-life.

2. midnightstar

midnightstar Senior Member

I think they're trying to keep members who want to be alive from getting seriously triggered, they don't want members to trigger other members to the point where several members suicide (this is merely my understanding, I may be wrong)

3. FrainBart

FrainBart Staff Alumni

Because there are members under the age of 18 on here. Because being pro life means encouraging help and health, not encouraging harm. This site was made to be pro life. Not pro choice.

4. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

Because this is a support forum. A SUPPORT forum for people who are in crisis and have experiences with mental disorders and suicidal ideation. This is not an adult only service, as you might not know since you just joined the forum only recently, the groups with the highest rates of suicide are young adults and teenagers, the age groups of 15 to 24, and seniors. Obviously there are teenagers on this site who want support and friends who understand their plight as well. You go to parts of the forum such as the rape and abuse forum, eating disorders, depression, you will quickly find out that there are not only adults here and no you do not have completely free reign, as it should be. Why?

Because any good functional forum open to the public with various mental problems and vulnerabilities, has to have adequate moderation to keep some semblance of order. This is not 4chan. This is not tumble. People can post freely, but posting methods publicly here, encouraging others to die, or using ridiculing or bullying are restricted for obvious reasons on a suicide forum. Feel free to tell your story or give advice, but if you just want to use this as a place where you can think being suicidal gives you a license to do whatever you want and you don't want ANY type of moderation, then be reasonable and fair in what you post, be aware of your audience, use common sense and you won't have to worry about being censored.

I hope you find the forums and any friendships you develop here to be helpful.

5. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

The Rules and Guidelines (http://www.suicideforum.com/faq.php) are quite self-explanatory.

No one here will encourage or participate in the suicide (or even injury - "assault", "harm") of another person - it is illegal to do so. The site is pro-life.

The rules ensure the safety of all members...including the young ones who are indeed UNDER 18 years of age (and thus are not adults). Graphic descriptions/discussions of self harm, suicide attempts, methods, sexual acts (wanted or unwanted), violence towards others, threats to harm others can all be major triggers.

Reality check: What kind of person would want to cause serious harm or hurt to others (which is what "triggering" does)?

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2012
  6. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

We are a peer support forum for people in crisis and suffering from mental health and social difficulties. The key word being "support". And like others have said, it is not strictly an adult site, we do have members here as young as 13. Many members come here to feel safe from their normal day to day triggers, and to discuss how they can better their health and situations. Yes, a lot of people are at the point of suicide that post and chat here, but our aim is to support and listen and help them in their time of need. The ethos of the site is to "promote no harm", and can I remind you that when you joined this site, they are the rules and conditions that you agreed to by creating an account here. If pro-suicide talk is what you are looking for, then we are not the forum for you. If it is support you are looking for, then we can help and we will listen and support you as much as we can via the forums and our chatroom. We have many great members here who are very supportive and understanding.