why can't you see the other side?

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by chickee, Dec 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickee

chickee Active Member

why is it when you are deep in depression you can only think about how BAD it is and how it will never get better? It just spirals from there to suicidal thinking. You forget what it's like when you are better. However, when you are better it's hard to imagine even being in such a depressed state. Anyone else feel this way? why do you think it is?

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

It is because your thoughts are all distorted when you are depressed Your levels of seratonin so low nothing seems like it should be. Your mind is so clouded with sadness one cannot see the light. That is why it is important to put reminders around you when you did have good times. You can look at them then when you are side and they will remind you there is hope

3. Theseus

Theseus Well-Known Member

Because I try to make it better and it never does. I tried for years and years to plough through low moods and general disinterest in stuff. I still do at my job. Though it's getting worse day by day.
    When all attempts fail, you eventually get tired. The only way for that tiredness to go away looks like eternal rest.
    I don't know how it looks from the other side because I haven't been on the other side for a long, long time.

4. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

As said above, it's all to do with the chemical levels. When you're in a downed state, you just don't feel like you'll ever come out of it. You think about the things that made you happy before, and they don't bring your mood up this time, beacuse you're already set at a low. But then when you're happy, you just feel like the feeling could last forever. As if nothing could get you down. And you can think back to the things that got you so sad (sometimes) and still be fine.

5. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I find it bizarre that though I have been through hundreds of clinical depressions, some lasting only days and some weeks I always seem to feel I have it beaten permanently when it lifts. I'm a tool.

6. Daphna

Daphna Well-Known Member

I used to suffer from depression and drastic mood swings most of my life. Now that Yahweh has taken them from me, I had forgotten how bad it was. It seemed like a bad dream, but then I look around and see others suffering as I once have and it reminds me of the importance of my testimony of hope. HalleluYah!

I believe that it is easy to forget the bad when you are happy, and it is because being happy is more pleasant to think about. Blessings...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.