Why did you resus me? Let me go.

Lekatt

Love Cats Love All
SF Supporter
I was given a choice once, in the middle of a heart attack a voice asked if I wanted to live or die. I chose to live, my family needed me. But that experience taught me there was far more to life than I ever realized. I began to learn from there.

Walker

Admin
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
A lot of people here "just want to end it" - it's the nature of the site, of course.
We have also got a lot of people here who have tried to kill themselves and realized that they made a mistake.
Additionally, the same people who feel suicidal sometimes get something more serious and realize they want to live (have a heart attack, get cancer, etc).

1964dodge

Has a frog in the family
Safety & Support
SF Supporter
i understand how you feel in a way. i actually died for a minuet or 2 a couple of years ago. i was brought back and spent 5 days in scu on a ventilator, from natural illness. sometimes i still get suicidal due to pain and illness but most of the time i'm very grateful that they brought me back. it's a sobering experience waking up days later with tubes down your throat. it wasn't my time and your time isn't up yet either...mike...*hug*shake

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
I was given a choice once, in the middle of a heart attack a voice asked if I wanted to live or die. I chose to live, my family needed me. But that experience taught me there was far more to life than I ever realized. I began to learn from there.
This is very true and profound.

Dante

Git
SF Pro
SF Supporter
No 1st hand experience, but 2nd hand.

I had a friend try to kill herself, I knew she wasnt OK and I tried my best to be there for her, but one day I found out (when an ambulance crew came looking for her in our building after a tip-off) that she had taken an overdose. I called her, and she answered, but I just couldn't convince her to want to live, she was ODing whilst i was on the phone with her, and I failed. Anyway, point is, she was convinced she wanted to die, but as luck would have it, she was found unconscious JUST in time, and since they knew what she took they managed to save her. Afterwards she just didnt want to talk about it and I respected that. As years went by we didn't really keep in touch, but i looked her up not too long ago. She is now married with kids.

You never know whats coming, she was CERTAIN that she was better off dead, and now she has a family and seems happy, that kind of thing is one of the main reasons I ruled out suicide as an option long ago.

MichaelKay

I understand why society has to cling on to the idea that no matter how bad things are there's always hope that it can change. I don't feel that way about myself but I do feel that about everyone else (quite selfcontradicting I know).

I got "saved" after being found on the street after a suicidal OD attempt and spend 3 days in a delusional state tied to a bed because I kept pulling out IV's and my catheter and tried to punch a nurse. I don't have any memory of it but have access to my medical journal and read it afterwards. I was angry for being saved but less angry knowing I might have lived but with kidney damages for the rest of my life if someone hadn't "saved" me.

It's weird. I can completely understand why society can't accept just letting people commit suicide. But I can also understand my own deluded idea of why that shouldn't apply in my specific case.

I secretly hope to get cancer one day and just stick with palliative treatment (I have a right to refuse treatment unless I'm delusional) and refuse chemotherapy.

I think it boils down to this; If your daughter or son wanted to commit suicide would you let them? If not, you understand society's reluctance to do so. If yes, then I feel sorry you don't have more faith in their ability to recover and turn life around. It makes sense to me when I pull my own situation out of the equation that we can't just let people die.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00