Why do Comming of Age Movies make really suicidal, and feel good?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by ryanglander, Jun 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryanglander

ryanglander Well-Known Member

Hi,
    When I feel really depressed I think about suicide. And then I get filled with anxiety and fear of death. But when I watch a comming of age movie it seems to take the fear away an. And it also makes me feel more suicidal. But it makes me feel good about suicide.

The last time I was probably happy was when I was comming of age. And slowly I've been feeling worse and worse, I think I hit bottom recently and right now I'm just kinda staying where I'm at.

The last comming of age movie I watched was "twelve and holding". But "stand by me" also made me really suicidal. Bu I'm kinda suicidal most of the time, the movie just takes away the fear of death and the anxiety. But these movies really make me feel good is it a bad thing to watch them? I'm so confused about so many things that I think I will never find the answers. I mean when I read how many people commit suicide each year in the U.S. it makes it seem like I would be just another suicide, just another statistic.

I mean should I avoid watching these movies? Because they releive stress they are definatley better in the long-run, but not the short-run...

2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer for you but I do share you feelings when/after watching those types of movies. I get really sad and tear up because it is like my feelings inside are projected out into reality and I feel that sad part of me connected to something. I don't know if I am explaining this well but I cry and feel comforted at the same time. For me they don't really change my thoughts about suicide in that they don't increase my risk but they do cause me to connect with the sadness that results in the suicidal thoughts. And I believe that if I go after watching something like that it will be because I had enough and the movie just made it that tiny bit easier because the feelings were there all along. I hope that helps you decide for you what is best.
    B

3. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I say if they're better in the long run it should be ok to watch them, so long as you know you can keep yourself safe in the short run :hug:

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I think the reason you feel like this is because in the "coming of age" movies, the kids experience something that will change their lives forever, but they still have there whole lives in front of them.

The viewer is left with "what's going to happen to them now?" Especially in 'Stand By Me', where they've seen a dead body. It is not too far an assumption to make that many viewers end up feeling that maybe one of these kids, now having seen death, may take his own life.

Based on how they affect you, it is my opinion that you shou;d avoid these movies for the time being.

5. I want this whole thing to be wiped off finally... it was enough... it's 2009 and people still live like bacteria except that they are way more selfish, violent and mean... I wish someone took a huge bottle of domestos and wiped it off...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.