Why do I feel like a failure if I can't help people?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Witty_Sarcasm, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I believe that one of my purposes in life is to help people. Of course there's much more than that to me, but I feel happy if I can help others out. I try my best on this site to help people who are on the brink and try to pull them back. Sometimes my words don't get through and then I feel like a failure. I know it's not my fault if they choose to end their life or ignore what I have to say, but then I feel in a way that I could have done more. I can be really hard on myself even though I know I can't change everyone's mind. Is this a normal feeling or am I being too hard on myself?

2. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

Exactly all we can do is hope they take are words and use them so they don't go over the edge. However, some will and that's not your fault. Don't feel like your a failure by not stopping someone because in the end they make their decision. We can try to influence them in a kind manner not to. Also we can't judge them which is a major thing. Sometimes - I may not agree with this - sometimes death maybe the only answer... However, I'm strongly against that because I know there's ways to stay off from the brink. But sometimes people suffer from so much pain it's the only thing they can think of. So, far I think you've been doing a good job trying to help others. I believe that's my calling as well - because I feel a little more at peace when I do. Also this site has it's own addictions which is the friendly members and staff. I believe everyone here has the chance to get the support they need. Trust me it's a major step just to join and post. So, in the end whether or not we save a life or not we know that we tried. Also, there's no shame if we failed because we tried. I believe they have the free will to decide what they want to do. We can't force anything upon them but offer our time which sometimes they just need someone to talk to.

Trevor,

3. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I just wish I could be in person to help them, because there's only so much you can do through the internet. Of course there is no guarantee even then that they would follow my advice. I agree that death is the only answer when someone is terminal and doesn't want to deal with the pain, situations like that. If they are severely depressed they can always get help. I think as long as I can make people feel better, or even save one life, then I've done my job.

4. Tmacster1

Tmacster1 Well-Known Member

That's a good way to look at it, and that's how I look at it. If I could save one life I would of done my job. Sometimes our advice may go unheard - sometimes it just takes the gentle touch to help others. :hug: Remember there's no magic cure for depression or suicide - if there were than everyone would be happy.

Trevor,