why do i get punished for sleeping

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by japanlover, Feb 18, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. japanlover

japanlover Well-Known Member

It seems everytime I want to sleep I have this guilty feeling when I wake up. If I sleep for anything longer then 6 hours I am a waste of time. I do hate sleeping 12+ hrs but that's only when I work 32 hrs straight. That is a completely different argument. So I was hoping having a child would change this mindset, nope. Its worse because now not only am I expected to work 32 hrs, I now must help with the baby, after the 32 hr shift and not go to bed for another 5 hrs. I do help when I only work 6 to 8 but anything more is hard. Even then ill get the guilt trip. I love my child, but what's up with this situation
  2. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I can only imagine you feel guilty for sleeping because there are things happening in your life that need your attention. But you need to remember that everyone, no matter how important your job is - professional job, or the job of a parent - needs sleep. It's your body's way of recharging and filling up on the energy you need to carry on doing the things you do.

Maybe you could talk to your partner about it?
  3. flowers

flowers Senior Member

hi. I agree with snarrylover. I went for 5 years with not enough sleep. My body will not ever recover from it. It has been 5 years since I stopped. I never recovered my health. When the body sleeps, the organs, and other parts of the body repair and rest. The mind rests.

As a matter of fact, extended periods of sleep deprivation are known to cause psychosis. This is how important sleep really is. We can cheat sleep. But in the end, we are causing our own body to function in overdrive which will eventually cause the body to ware out sooner than it otherwise would have. So please, I invite you to be grateful that you can give your body the restorative sleep that is requires. :)
  4. justMe7

justMe7 Well-Known Member

32 hours? Do you mean all at once?
    What are your weekly hours? Cause that's not safe :| Is that even legal?
    Anyhow, well children defiantly are going to get in the way of your sleeping patterns. Though if you have a partner, it's called balance. If you work a long shift, you need to rest, eat, and sleep yourself. There are minor things to get done before that sleeping but it's essential to continuing that routine.
    Idk, best thing you could do is get a schedule written up so you literally book hours you sleep. Depends on how old your child is, but I'd re-arrange shifts and things so you get the appropriate sleep you need. Which is supposed to be atleast 8 hours straight. Obviously depending on your situation, but it should be between6-8 atleast. For regular working hours I may add.

32 hours straight? You seriously need to manage that properly otherwise you're going to really hurt yourself.
  5. flowers

flowers Senior Member

yes, and no wonder you sleep 12 hours after being awake so long. That would be a bare minimum of hours to sleep considering the length of time spent awake.
  6. japanlover

japanlover Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone for the replies. I shouldn't say I feel guilty because I sleep but my partner makes me that way. Her argument is that she never gets a break and I shouldnt get to sleep all the time. I work 3 days a week at 21 working hours then 3 hours worth of driving, preparation for work. I've worked this hard before with no goal, but I didnt think I would be doing it... again..I've now forced myself to 4 hours of sleep a day or every 2 days. Its really hard so far, but maybe ill come out on top.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.