Why do I give up so easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I can't pinpoint exactly why or how this problem began, but I've been giving up on things since I was very young. I never got the hang of riding a bike, so I gave up on trying. I couldn't grasp how to tie my shoes, so I didn't learn it until later than most kids, when one day I just got it. I tried ice skating when I was young, but I couldn't do it and never tried again. I have always been bad at math, but I never tried to understand it. I almost dropped out of school in 8th grade. I was sick and tired of how I was treated by people. I missed about 40 days then went back. I was going to quit in high school, but I got through it and passed with some classes by getting just the bare minimum grade.

Now at work, I've failed my latest review. My immediate idea is to just quit, to give up because I can't succeed. I know I shouldn't do that, but I have a long list of quitting things and it seems to work for me, even though that's probably the wrong thing to do. I just need to know how to stop doing this so I can start succeeding in life.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I wouldn't give up on this site because it's a good place and people need the help. But I also feel like I don't want to accomplish anymore because it amounts to nothing. If I am going to give up on the ultimate thing, that is life, then why does anything really matter?

I can't pinpoint exactly why or how this problem began, but I've been giving up on things since I was very young. I never got the hang of riding a bike, so I gave up on trying. I couldn't grasp how to tie my shoes, so I didn't learn it until later than most kids, when one day I just got it. I tried ice skating when I was young, but I couldn't do it and never tried again. I have always been bad at math, but I never tried to understand it. I almost dropped out of school in 8th grade. I was sick and tired of how I was treated by people. I missed about 40 days then went back. I was going to quit in high school, but I got through it and passed with some classes by getting just the bare minimum grade.

Now at work, I've failed my latest review. My immediate idea is to just quit, to give up because I can't succeed. I know I shouldn't do that, but I have a long list of quitting things and it seems to work for me, even though that's probably the wrong thing to do. I just need to know how to stop doing this so I can start succeeding in life.
Hi Witty, @DrownedFishOnFire is right .. you are awesome so please never stop being you. Have you tried thinking of things you do well - or do badly but still love doing them? I know you’re a great listener .. there’s a fabulous start. And you never seem to give up on being supportive, which I’m guessing you must be in your daily life too. With your work review - have they set goals/ targets for you to achieve and then be reassessed? Anything we can help with? I’m loving @DrownedFishOnFire ’s cartoon - cut it out and stick it on all the doors in your home ... please stay safe xxxx

Aurelia

πŸ”₯ A Fire Inside πŸ”₯
SF Supporter
I can relate. I've often gave up on a lot of things too, and ironically, not the ones I should have given up on. For self-destructive immediate gratification's sake, I'm not a quitter. For everything else, I exert minimal effort and I'm quick to get bored and drop it. Pretty sure it's my BPD making me act that way. I can't believe, sometimes, my behavioral patterns looking at them as a whole.

Thauoy

I don't know how to advise or console you. But I feel sorry for what you are going through. Just think that someone does care about the hurt you feel. Remember you are important and please be safe. Please don't give up. Please keep posted and share your feelings. Best wishes and hugs.

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
Well, there's not much anyone here can do to help with the situation at work. I'm averaging at 0.68 in production and it needs to go up to at least 0.90 to be average. So I think I just have to try my hardest. Hopefully I can make it. But you guys are helping by being here for me and being so supportive, so thank you for that. :)

Witty_Sarcasm

πŸ¦„πŸ¦œπŸ§πŸŒˆπŸŒπŸ’–
SF Supporter
I'm giving up on every damn thing. Just tired of trying when I get absolutely nowhere. I am not good at anything and I am well aware of that fact now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00