Why do i like violent movies?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hurted, Oct 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Here is the thing: the more violent and bloody the movie is, the more I enjoy it. And the more that people in movies suffer, the more i like the movie. I mostly watch horror movies.
    The weird thing is that i hate violence in everydays life, i never use violence and i am disgusted by people who are violent. I even was a vegeterian when i was 12 or 13 years old.
    I think i know a lot about psychology as I read psychology books all the time, but i really dont know the answer to my question.
  2. assek

assek Well-Known Member

wow, im exactly the same as all you have described in your post, how weird ! and i also dont know the answer...

also when i was younger and saw a horrific scene, i would find it really interesting, and would sometimes laugh. my sister said it is lack of maturity.

dont like watching sexual violence though...
  3. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

Well... I know that I don't mind violence and gore in a movie because it is fantasy- I know how the effects work and I know it isn't real, so it doesn't bother me.
    I am a pacifist though- I can't stand blood or violence or even yelling and screaming; not in real life- not up close and personal or when it is happening to me.

I've seen corpses and I've witnessed quite a few violent beatings since childhood-- so I understand why I do not like seeing that type of thing in real life.

I think we like violence in movies because of the fantasy aspect.
    I'm not sure how else to really explain it.
  4. titanic

titanic Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how to answer your question Hurted, but I can say from a Christian perspective that the suffering, bloodthirsty, violence (negativity) etc feed any evils of the heart and soul (satan) who wants us to enjoy bad things, he takes great delight in it, and I personally believe the negativity (satan) feeds our depression. I used to ask myself the same question before I became a Christian and when I was very unwell and I read a good online page a few months back called R rated movies and me.

The amazing Philippians reading states: Fix your thoughts on what is true, and honorable, and right, and pure, and lovely, and admirable. Think about things that are excellent and worthy of praise.

5. 1112222

1112222 Well-Known Member

Can't say that I've ever had a problem with on screen violence.
    But then again during most of my childhood and teenage years I was a very violent person.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2010
  6. Aquarius123

Aquarius123 Well-Known Member

Learning to control our minds

Do you sometimes get a sneaking feeling that our world has become one in which only bad news is good news? Instead of adding to the clouds of darkness that surround us and our world by insisting on watching and listening to the news and watching films that do not support my highest good and that of our world, I prefer to do everything in my power to counteract these tendencies and do my share of dissolving the dark clouds of negativity that fill and surround us and our world.

I believe that we are responsible for what we allow our earthly minds to be filled with. And for anyone who is seriously interested in taking charge of theirs, I suggest that you set a good example to others. Whenever you hear or see it is time for the news on radio and/or TV, exercise your freedom of choice and remind yourself that your set has an ‘off’ button. Before opening a newspaper, recall that no-one can force anyone to read or listen to anything. Protect your mind from being bombarded with and penetrated by all the negativity our sensationalistic and media-orientated outer world is constantly trying to pump into the collective consciousness.

From ‘Learning to Control our Minds’
    With love and light,
  7. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Re: Learning to control our minds

I'm like you Hurted, I like the violent movies, but am not a violent person and don't enjoy it irl.

I think it's just good old fashioned blood-lust, that part of our brains that likes combat and 'hunting', and since we know that the violence on screen isn't real, we (or at least I, I don't know about you) don't feel bad about enjoying it.

It's the same as the Roman days, when the Colloseum would fill up with people to watch the gladiators do battle. The spectators wouldn't all have been violent people in real life, and the gladiators were all slaves* or willing soldiers, so the thrill of the battle/violence would have been fun to watch.

That's my take on the subject anyway.

* - I don't consider slaves any less people than the rest of us, but the Romans probably would have
  8. No1_knows_me

No1_knows_me Active Member

I enjoy violent and gory films as well. I think it's because it's safe to watch it. It all happens on a screen and it's all faked so nothing bad can happen to you while watching it. I hate real world violence though.
  9. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I'm a big horror movie fan...but I think that loving horror movies brings a thrill we don't have in normal life, its part of our fantasies...doesn't mean we want that in real life or that were demented or evil...sometimes I find that watching a horror movie it helps me unleash my anger and angst so for me its a good thing...because I don't go out and lash out at people...

and I doubt its satan...we were created to be balanced between negativity and positivity, we got to express both to be healthy so...satan is only an excuse we use to explain things that happens and people who use him, don't take responsibility for their actions...they'd rather blame it on satan than think it was their mistake...
  10. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

because violent movies are awesome!!!!! and entertaining...at least from my perspective...Movies are made to entertain...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.