Why do many intelligent and smart people resort to suicide

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Jan 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I found the list of known people who have committed suicide on
    Wikipedia, here's the link to it http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_suicides. I just don't get, as i kept of scrolling down, i saw the names of
    many people that the world still needs. But then again whenever i see
    their names, i say to myself that at least they did it. So enjoy the list
    and share what you think of them.
  2. Seerbrum

Seerbrum Well-Known Member

It seems the more one knows, the more one is aware... the more they see, the more that it all eats away at them.

For some, it's years of being self critical, which drove them to genius anyways.

For others, it was shame, or the fact that they couldn't fix anything.

Intellect is as much of a burden as it is a gift.

Whats the saying? "Ignorance is bliss."

With that considered, I rather be sad then ignorant.
  3. SpencerA

SpencerA Well-Known Member

that's completely true.
    but as me and my friend olly have discussed many a time, emotional intelligence is a strange thing. some people are clever on paper, some people are clever in their mind but have so many complicated thoughts running through their mind all the time it's impossible for them to make them coherent to others. which can be so distressing, especially when you're treated like you're stupid and uneducated just because you're not so good at making your thoughts feelings and knowledge coherent to others.
  4. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

I'm fairly smart and I find that, in the big scheme of things, it doesnt really matter. The fact that I'm top of a graduating university class of 5000 has meant nothing as I can't get a job in my chosen field. I find that smarts get you nothing except contempt from people who don't have what you have.

What matters in this reality are looks, seriously. I look like frankensteins abortion and I look at the other people who have the positions I want, the opportunities I need and what I find is that i am always overlooked because I am a monster.
  5. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

We bore easier. I think it's that simple. The single greatest challenge in my life is keeping busy. The depression is never so intense as when I have nothing to do. And I think it's much harder to stimulate a "smart" person than others. If I could just keep myself occupied with something interesting, I don't think I'd be here.
  6. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Looks rub both ways wibble in my experience, just the same as academic intelligence or talent. Put your head over the parapet and bang there always seems to be some green eyed freak bent on destruction ready to shoot you down.

I think being 'medium' (poorly worded that) in everything is the way forward, take that bushel and hide it!!
  7. reddragon2410

reddragon2410 Well-Known Member

I would agree with wibble personally. I've always been either at, or near the top of my classes, and the majority of people I know hate me for it. I just get better qualifications than them. But they're still more likely to get a good job, unless it involves being hidden away from public view. Then I'm in.
    People who are good looking have all the friends. Noone wants to talk to an ugly freak like me.
    If your intelligent and have good looks, then you're the best off.
  8. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Yeah reddragon they want to talk to you but what for? What you represent and therefore will affirm for them and their own ego? How dissapointed do they become when you offer a chink, fall below their expectations and are subsequently treated with the same shallowness that attracted them to you in the first place?

This life just aint that simple.

(just reread that and it seemed a bit blunt, no offence meant just opinion!)
  9. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Preach brother!!!

I only have the job I have because Im a telesales agent. Every front facing customer services role, or indeed any role that involves interaction with the public, I get turned down for.

@Long: I get what your saying, but, unfortunately, it is frequently that simple. Its not right, its not fair, but at the end of the day, people are valued less for their intelligence than they are for their looks.
  10. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

@Long: I get what your saying, but, unfortunately, it is frequently that simple. Its not right, its not fair, but at the end of the day, people are valued less for their intelligence than they are for their looks.[/QUOTE]

Fair enough mate I see where you are coming from, the whole face value approach is a grind and I absolutely accept that.

I was trying to draw a comparison to the way (in my experience) any talent, ability, physicality that is beyond an excepted 'norm' is usually met with opprobrium even in what one would expect to be a supportive atmosphere ( I was a practising artist once and the bullying I received from other artists was enough to make me drop out). It's doubly strange as the majority of people at the peak of culture generally have exceptional talent or qualities. Hmmmm.......beats me.
  11. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

Now you've put it in a way I can understand, yeah, now I see where your coming from. I paint toy soldiers, and one bone of contention is "SPANISH TEAM!!!", a group of spanish painters who win loads of awards. I have known top artists do nothing but slag them off and criticize, so by and large, you are right, although I honestly dont pretend to understand why this should be the case.

Looks wise, now you put it like that, is probably just the most obvious example of what we're talking about.
  12. ergo51

ergo51 Well-Known Member

Paint toy soldiers! Cool, that's reminded of one of my brothers he used to paint warhammer figures,(goblins wizards and all that) tiny things, he used a technique called dry brushing I can't explain it as I never got my head round it but they looked amazing.

Maybe that's what those Spanish dudes are doing?

I'm glad I got into this thread, I haven't thought of those figures for years!
  13. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

The wikipedia list of suicides also contains the method that they killed themselves by. Maybe a *warning* should be added to this thread. :unsure:
  14. pensive1981

pensive1981 Well-Known Member

Also a whole bunch of people on there that I wouldn't want to be on the same list with:

Hitler, Klebold / Harris, Himmler, Brynn Hartman, Marc Lepine, Nero...
  15. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

That's true. Let's not forget that a number of psychos have also committed suicide like Hitler.
  16. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Well, I wouldn’t consider myself smart, but apparently others do.
    My best friend and I have always discussed a wide variety of things (usually with a very negative point of view). Things that I recall my friend and I talking about long ago (years ago) my other friends are just starting to figure out, or discover. They try and explain these new revelations they’ve had, and it strikes me as painfully obvious because I’ve considered this ‘common knowledge’ for years.

Now, do I think I’m smarter than all of these people? Potentially, but I don’t think so. Do I feel as though my friend and I are more insightful than them? Yes.

Now that I think about it, almost everyone I’ve talked to who claims to be depressed I immediately have deeper and more seemingly ‘intelligent’ (or insightful rather) conversations with.

I just think that we (being people who suffer from depression) just see things from a different perspective. And having such a different point of view may just make us (seemingly) more perceptive.
  17. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I also consider myself a deep and insightful person, though I don't really suffer from depression or suicidal thoughts, however I have to agree that there are many insightful people here on SF that do. Maybe insightful people are more sensitive to events going on in the world around them, than average people? And they are more affected by all the negative things going on. People who are oblivious to the world around them, don't really seem to suffer as much.
  18. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

I think many suicides, famous or not, are the result of untreated mental illness. just my two cents....
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.