Why do people always say honesty is the best policy?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jun 16, 2009.

1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Why do people always say honesty is the best policy?

Because I don't bloody well think it is!

I know a couple of people who believe you should tell a person exactly what you think of them and exactly how you feel (often about them or a situation they might be in) even if they do not want to hear it.

I also know a lot of people who truly believe in just going around, speaking their minds.
    Why do people think they can just go around voicing their opinions to all and sundry when you haven't asked to hear them? Surely if they have a right to be honest and vocal, I have just as much right to not hear what they have to say?
    Unfortunately I cannot close my ears, but they can close their mouths.

Whatever happened to decorum and etiquette?
    Maybe I am just too bloody English!

I am just so fucking sick of people running their mouths at any given chance, saying it's "their right" to vocalise and voice their opinions on absolutely everything, especially things which have absolutely nothing to do with them.
    It makes me laugh. HA-HA-HA-FUCKING-HA.

Because turn to those same people when they are in a fix and tell them what you think, with as much honesty and as little poise as they have adhered to in previous times.

...then watch how quickly those same people tell you to "shut up - what business is it of yours?".

Fucking idiots. The lot of you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 16, 2009
  2. shades

shades Staff Alumni

I had a friend who was exactly like that and I came to believe he had a psychological problem. Something like a Napolean complex...always has to be right, loud and obnoxious, telling people on the street that their clothes dont match, telling people they should have gotten a different color for their car, etc...

Then I decided to be honest with him and said that if he couldn't control himself I'd no longer be his friend. It didn't shut him up so now I don't wpeak to him anymore. I haven't run into that problem oterwise.

3. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Honesty is the best policy to a degree. With close friends, relationships and family it usually is. Speaking your mind to complete strangers won't always end well.

4. andrtaker

andrtaker Guest

It depends... sometimes honesty isnt the best policy

5. james555

james555 Member

Being fully honest doesn't necessarily mean that one should speak their mind at all times. To refer to shades's example, if you go around telling people their clothes don't match, that's going far beyond honesty. But if someone asks you if you think their clothes match, you can be honest without being pushy on top of it.

That being said, I believe that honesty is the best policy. I haven't given as much though to this topic as I have with others, but I tend to prefer honesty in all situations. Facts, honesty, and the truth sometimes hurt. If someone can't handle the facts, that's their problem. Lies are complicated, and hard to keep track of.

Many people say they prefer honesty, but then again they sometimes would rather be lied to, because it's easier to handle. And more people still just prefer lies, make-believe, etc., for the same reason.

"Honesty is the best policy" isn't all that simple, really.

6. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

7. dave

dave Member

I wish it was

I think it should be

but it isn't

rest assured i only learnt this lesson very recently

BUT

you and I, I think we can hack it. Theres times to lie - and rare occasions where the truth is needed, and i reckon we can both manage to get the hang of the difference.

It does depress me though how much social success is about giving people what they want to hear - to me it feels like quite straightforward manipulation - but hey never mind - gotta play the game by its rules not your own