Why do people always say that it'll get better?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by AAA3330, Aug 7, 2015.

1. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I'm always researching about suicide and people always say that it'll get better and that these feelings won't last forever. It's been almost 3 years since I've been ill and it never gets any better for me. I get that most people giving advice have never felt the way that I do, but it's frustrating for me when I'm feeling so badly and they're giving advice about what to do when you feel suicidal when they have never been suicidal or understand what it feels like to be in my shoes. People are always saying that you should call 911, a crisis line, or go to the hospital. I've been to the hospital and seen psychiatrists. I've done everything that I possible could to try and get better, but nothing works for me. I need help badly, but why would I continue to go to the hospital, call 911 or a crisis line when I know that it won't help me. Am I the only person in this world that isn't treatable? It doesn't matter how educated that someone is on mental health. Unless they've felt what it's like, they will never understand what it feels like to want to die all of the time or to have tried getting help when nothing helps.

2. Aether

Aether Well-Known Member

Because they don't know what else to say. Even people who can understand what you're going through can often be at a loss for words. How do you save a life?

I'm sorry you're feeling this way. You can PM me anytime you want to talk.

3. AAA3330

Thank you for responding. While I was well, I wouldn't have understood that a person could feel the way that I do either. I knew people had depression, but I could have never conceived that anyone could feel so badly the way that I do. I'm seriously depressed, but it's much more than that. I feel severely confused. I used to think that I was different than other people, but now all that I see are similarities and I'm severely confused and mentally disturbed by this. It's very difficult to function and keep myself safe in society when I feel this way.

4. Aether

Aether Well-Known Member

You're right, people who were never mentally ill can't truly understand how we feel. But at least some of them try, even thought their effort is usually in vain.

Are there certain similarities between you and other people that disturb you or is it that you're not as unique as you used to think? Either way, please keep in mind that depression distorts reality, logic and thoughts, turning everything against you, but at the end of the day, it's an illness. Those thoughts aren't true, despite them feeling very much so.

5. AAA3330

Yes, a lot of people do try and many have tried to help me. I'm probably seeing one of the best psychiatrists in town, but it doesn't matter how good she is if I can't be helped. Right now I'm on the antidepressant Fetzima. I always lived in my own private world and was very successful at my job. I was on disability for Schizophrenia, but was never truly disabled by it until about 3 years ago. I think that the Schizophrenia was the reason that I felt so much different than everyone else and why I was so smart and successful, but now my brain is totally different than it ever was in the past. My sense of reality is severely distorted. It feels like the whole world has changed, but I know that it's my brain that's different. I'm severely depressed, but don't know if it's just depression that's causing all this. I often feel as if my brain may be damaged, but nothing showed up on a CT scan that was done. This all started after I got stressed out, but wouldn't have thought that stress alone would damage my brain. I'm so severely depressed that I always feel like I can't take it anymore, but I'm not able to kill myself either. It's just such a terrible situation and I just don't know what to do.

6. Aether

Aether Well-Known Member

I'm sorry A., it all sounds awful. Are you still feeling stressed out? If yes, what are the stressors? Can you somehow get rid of them?

I'm glad you don't feel able to commit suicide. As long as you're alive, there's hope for you.

Speaking of which, that's what we have to do: keep our hope alive. Nothing's more valuable.

7. AAA3330

The stress was over a disability review that was in 2012. I was pretty worried about it and it did get approved, but by then the change had taken place inside of my mind and I haven't been the same since. I went from feeling fine to feeling the way that I do now and it happened all of a sudden like. Just like that my brain was different and I went from feeling good and enjoying life to feeling terrible all of the time. Something is just seriously wrong and I'm constantly aware of it, but it just seems that there is nothing that I can do. When this first happened I did have hope that it would get better, but after almost 3 years, my hope has pretty much ran out. I've been on so many meds and none have helped. Right now, I'm taking the Fetzima, but it doesn't seem to be doing anything either. I'm just so tired of fighting this thing and really do want to die rather than to have to feel so terrible, but I'd be too afraid to do anything drastic or something that may only make matters worse so I keep living, though I always wish that I were dead.

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

...because things can get better. They got better for me,so much better after years of depression and isolation and the rest and we say that because we have lived through it getting better,obviously I can't say for certain things will improve for you but there's a great chance of things improving if you try to help yourself,share experiences and think positively. Good luck to you and if you ever need someone to talk I'm here.

9. AAA3330

Thanks Petal. I'm glad that things got better for you. I used to get so much enjoyment out of life and it's so frustrating that I can't enjoy it anymore. I'd like to have hope that things would get better, but I just don't think that they will. I'm afraid that there may be something more serious going on with me than just depression as my head never feels right. It feels as if it may be damaged or something. I'll keep on working with my doctor though and keep taking the Fetzima that she has me on.

10. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Do. Always stick to what the doctor recommends and if it's not helping you make sure they know that too so they can look at other options available, I'm hoping you will be on here in x amount of time telling people how you got better. Don't lose hope,that's one thing you should always hold onto. I have read a lot of your posts you have been through it all and had it tough but you are still here fighting and that's all that matters just don't stop fighting this.