Why do people assume that us Atheists are devil worshipers?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by w0lf, Feb 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. w0lf

w0lf Member

First of all, hi. I'm Josh, I'm an Atheist. I'm 17, and this thread is in no way me bashing religions or people who believe in God. And no I am not a devil worshiper. In fact, I don't even believe in the Devil, or God, or any other deity or deities you may believe runs everything and created everything. I'm a science kind of guy. And what pushes my buttons is when people think that since I'm an atheist, it automatically means I don't believe in God, which is true, but subsequently that means I believe and worship the Devil. Sorry but, that's not the case. I believe in science. You know, evolution, the Big Bang Theory, (Not the show). People sound so ignorant when they say Atheists are devil worshipers or that we are going to Hell because we don't believe in God and don't accept Jesus as our lord and savior. I don't know, just quick little rant that popped into my mind. I tend to do that.
  2. Owen

Owen New Member

What part of the country are you from? I am an agnostic and mostly I don't get any guff for that. Somebody somebody looks at me as if they feel sorry for me. Like, I haven't figured it out yet and they pity me for it.

Edit *
    I see you are from Texas, that could explain some of it. Lots of religious folk there. Not so bad on the coasts.
  3. Sumerian

Sumerian Active Member

I doubt people generally see atheists as devil worshipers. Maybe some will claim atheists are unconsciously doing the devils work by trying to undermine belief and religion, but non-religions people can not, by definition, believe in the devil (and less yet worship him), and religious people understand this.

Now I see you're from Texas, which I realize is not exactly known for its religious tolerance, but maybe you could provide us with an actual example of people expressing the view that atheists would be devil worshipers?
  4. brookie

brookie Member

I'm an Atheist also but other than the occasional dirty look when people see the stickers on my car no one gives me any trouble. Just hang in there and try to not let people bother you. I know most of the time its easier said than done.
  5. AAA3330

AAA3330 Well-Known Member

I used to believe in God, but I no longer believe that there is a God, Heaven, Devil or anything. Why would a loving God allow good people to suffer?
  6. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I'm an atheist. Although I don't believe in gods, I do believe, as a scientist in the amateur sense, that there is some force at play here that I could better articulate if I were better at mathematics and astrophysics. I don't believe there are any beings behind this force, and for lack of better terminology, I've been describing the way things occur as merely nature and the scheme of the universe (multiverse?) which is far grander than the limitations of gods and other authoritarian figures.
  7. Prinnctopher's Belt

Prinnctopher's Belt Antiquities Friend SF Supporter

I don't kbow any theists who are tolerant and understanding of atheists. And I live in a fairly politically liberal city.

The culture I was raised in is very closed minded to intellectual deviance. I'm in the 1% in my culture when it comes to religion and they definitely believe that if you believe otherwise, then you are a demon, love the devil, are going to hell... they believe that if you are experiencing a struggle and difficulties in life, then it's because you don't believe in God and don't go to church and don't follow the book and etc etc etc.

It's mass hysteria. And Im not even in the bible belt
  8. Agree! I have had this conversation with religious people about this same topic. I always get the same "god has his reasons for everything and sometimes not for us to understand". What a load of BS.
  9. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

Maybe they are hard of hearing and thought you said Satanist not Atheist? Or else they are, well, just.... stupid? :)
  10. If depends on where you live. I have never been asked or bothered about my religious beliefs or non beliefs.
  11. w0lf

w0lf Member

I live in Texas. And I get a lot of shit during first period because we recite the Pledge of Allegiance, yeah? Everyday when everyone else stands up to say the Pledge I refuse to stand up nor repeat the Pledge because of the fact that "One nation, under God" is in it. Classmates and teachers will tell me to stand up and I just tell them no. My teacher will act as if I have to recite the Pledge. I thought the constitution prevented public schools from supporting religion? There's a page I'll link that gets me thinking about it. Like it mentions how the "moment of silence" is really just a cloaking mechanism used by schools to allow prayer, which was previously determined to be not allowed by schools.
    A couple quotes of things that are an are not allowed in public schools via the constitution::

Among the issues that have reached the High Court:

Can a school district allow students to conduct prayers over the loudspeaker and before kickoff at a varsity football game? (No)
    Does a religious student club get the same rights and privileges as other student clubs? (Yes)
    Is a school district required to give equal access to an outside organizations that provide after-school religious instruction to young children? (Yes)
    Is a moment of silence really a cloaking device for prayer? (Sometimes)
    Are the words “under God” in the pledge of allegiance unconstitutional in schools? (Undecided)

The last one is the one I have the problem with, I don't it should be allowed, hence why I don't stand up during the pledge and refuse to recite it.

Texas is not a very good state to be in when it comes to religious tolerance, hence why I get dirty looks and people assuming I'm a devil worshiper and I'm going to hell because I don't believe in God.

EDIT:: In the page it states that students are allowed to leave school early via the Free Exercise Clause for religious instruction? Just wondering, could I loop hole this? Being, does the religion that I am a part of have to be an established, well known religion that has established places of worship like Christianity via Churches or Judaism via the Synagogue? Or could I just make up a religion and say I belong to it and use it to say I'm leaving school to attend religious studies via my made up religion??
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2015
  12. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

To do the pledge, just say one nation and skip under God part. They cannot force you to say God if it bothers you that much.

Im an Athesist and absolutely do not have a problem saying the pledge, I do not allow it to bother me as it is more of a unity thing as a Nation to the flag than being a religious prayer. It has a good intention and when the pledge was formed it represented the population at the time, it's just part of a heritage and it has no bearing on your beliefs unless you allow one word that means nothing to you bother you. It's just a made up word to Athesists.

We have become too politically correct that we have lost a lot of our traditions to please everyone by the way. Another can of worms to open.

My question to you WOLF:
    If you didn't believe in God, why does the word bother you that much? Why do you balk at saying the word if it really has a profound effect on you.

My point is if one didn't believe in God completely, the word means nothing to them nor have any effect. I do not go out telling the world they're wrong. God simply does not exist for me and I have no reason to defend or tell others that God doesn't exist because what is the point of disapproving or proving something that doesn't even exist in the first place?
  13. stapleremover

stapleremover Chat Buddy

You'll probably find that as you grow older and you're exposed to people and ideas beyond what you've experienced so far that it won't be such a big deal to other people or to you. We do live in a pretty Christian-oriented country and the people who follow that religion tend to believe one of Christianity's primary tenets: that the Christian religion is the only 'correct' one. And if you are fortunate enough to connect with other atheists and spend time talking with them you'll find that - to a lesser degree - they can be just as dogmatic as religious people.

I applaud you for your beliefs since it takes intelligence and courage to go against your peers and your society and trust your own instincts about what you feel to be true. But sometimes it also boils down to realizing that you're always going to have to deal with people who believe differently from you, and you have to respect their right to believe what they choose to believe (even if it's stupid).

I'm agnostic/borderline atheist and I know I'm probably in the minority in this country but I can live with that. And I know that you can too.
  14. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

Some people actually really, really do. It seems to be more common in the southern US, and among youngsters. I've always been an atheist, and fairly open about it. In middle/high school... yes, people actually did think that it meant I worshiped Satan. I think a large part of this comes from a misunderstanding of what their parent's teach them. Sadly, they do learn the prejudice at home. They misunderstand the prejudice, though.

The belief goes... that anyone who doesn't believe in God, or accept God and/or Jesus as their savior or whatever... is owned by Satan. This is a belief system taught in many churches. Someone who isn't quite yet educated in religious doctrine, sociology, and philosophy yet might assume this means that anyone who doesn't believe in God and/or Jesus worships Satan. When really, the teaching goes that we "have let Satan in our hearts" instead of God. Which still doesn't make sense, but it is what it is. There was, also, a widely held belief among Christians (this is why Christianity is so eager to spread their religion, and has been since its roots in Rome) that if one didn't know the word of God, they were safe. But one that is aware of the word of God, but denies it anyway, is not safe. Atheists are generally aware of Christianity, but don't believe in God. Which once again, leads some young, not yet educated folk to confuse the belief system with worship of Satan.

As I have grown older, I experience the assumption less and less. I do, however, still occasionally experience prejudice. That happens in the south. Whether you're atheist, Muslim, Pagan... anything other than Christian. Religious prejudice is, sadly, very common down here.

Fun note: I got so sick of people assuming I worshiped Satan, that for many years I pretended that I did just to mess with them.

Another fun note: The pledge of allegiance did not always contain 'under God'. That is a recent addition (we're talking 20th century here). So, bringing up tradition there is kind of moot. (That said, I just skip the 'under God' part, as I can appreciate what the pledge stands for)
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2015
  15. w0lf

w0lf Member

It bothers me because I think it is nonsense that it is in the pledge. And our currency bothers me, because of the fact it says "In God we trust". In my opinion it is ridiculous that Christianity is so embedded in our society. The reason it bothers me is because it poses the question do we really have freedom of religion in this country if we Atheists get labeled and get Christian propaganda thrown at us at every turn? I think the Government should be more level headed and unbiased towards religion, and printing "God" over everything we do and see and using it as medium to get to people is ridiculous in my opinion.
  16. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

This has been challenged. And supreme court has thrown it out if im not mistaken on coinage issue.
    Christianity is very embedded in everything. Why we deal with christmas holiday when everywhere is closed. Why is there no school on sundays? School activities never fall on a sunday as most stuff happen on saturdays. Our traditions and hertiage is entwined around religion when the forefathers set out for new world to seek freedom from religious persecution. We do things everyday that is connected to religion meaning and not realize it.

It doesnt help with current distrust with Muslims, Islam and war going on with fractions with netural words instead of God. People will look at anti-God sentiments and think youre a terrorist. Sheep will always be sheep. For me it means nothing and I dont take it personally or am offended. It is pointless to reason with some religious American and explain church and state are supposed to be separate.

We are talking about a country who is so backwards not yet have a woman President, a country thats so divided over gay equality/marriage issues that keep courts overturning eachothers previous decisions. Its sometimes embarassing to be an American
  17. trinisty

trinisty Well-Known Member

I'm a religious person and I don't like when people bashing their religion on others. Being an Atheist isn't something evil, is something that you believe, it is something that you enjoy living it. I still don't understand why religious people act so religiously but never respect others' opinion. So what if someone is an Atheist? Is disbelieving a God more evil than killing people in the name of their own God? No! Here's my point of view about belief: I don't care at all about who or what you believe, or maybe you're not believing at something or someone. As long as you respect others' opinion, and love all people equally, then I don't see any problem with you. Keep it up, and live it that way.

Love you, have a great day!
  18. W Miller

W Miller Well-Known Member

The best posting I've read in quite a while. Wouldn't this world be a better place if people practiced love?!?
  19. w0lf

w0lf Member

Well thank you, is nice to see someone who isn't prejudice and doesn't jump to conclusions. I appreciate your comment, thank you :)
  20. Ne'er Do Well

Ne'er Do Well Member

They play some pretty good football in Katy Texas! That's what they worship there.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.