Why do people care?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Sparrow91, Oct 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

I know it's a shitty thing to say but I get the feeling people here don't care. Sure you can say you do but you don't even know me. Why should people care about me anyway. I guess I'm tired of trying to feel better. Tired of trying to believe that people are nice and don't judge cause that's not true. People judge people hurt and I'm sick of thinking optimistically when I know that people just say things you want to hear. This is pointless. You guys all probably think I'm an asshole but I'm not, I'm just a tired and sick of it all.
    Why do people bother to care? Why do they say what people want to hear? Why do we care about people we don't even know? Why are people so optimistic when the world has both light and dark?
    People can say its human nature but really what is human nature?
    Ironically I care about people I don't even know but my brain can't seem to understand why people would care about me hahaha this world is so fucked. I'm so fucked.
  2. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

I think I would put it down to - the people on this site understand a wide range of levels of pain. So knowing how it feels to be in their own level of pain and basically wanting to rid that pain, it's often something they don't feel others should suffer so they look to support everyone else.

You care about others you don't know, yet you don't understand why people would care about you? That's a circle that can encompass the vast majority of members on here. Rarely does someone believe they are worthy of support/help/being cared about, yet when they see others in distress they show they care if they are in the right frame of mind to be able to offer support/know what to say.

Human nature is as diverse as the way people are across all walks of life (from those who have differing depression levels/suicidal ideations etc right across to those who seem to have nothing wrong), and its taken in perspectives of how each individual views it.

For you - your life and your perspective is yours to live. If people judge you - you don't have to believe what they say if your perspective is different. If people hurt you - it's something you can then adapt to not allow to happen again.

Hope this helps.
  3. rtrt46546565

rtrt46546565 Well-Known Member

Tbh, I'm not entirely sure how to answer this because I wonder about it, too. I'm sure some people do honestly care but most probably don't. I think people pretend to care because our conscious tells us to. I think people just don't wanna feel bad for coming across as mean or whatever so they pretend to care instead.

Me personally, I always truly care to a certain extent. How much depends on how well I can relate to the person and/or their situation, and especially how close I am with the person.
  4. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

That sounds the best way to describe it.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I genuinely care about people and their situations, because I can relate to most of what they're feeling. Some I care about more than others, if I'm closer to them, but I don't say just what people want to hear. I'm always honest and I always try to be helpful. As much as I am genuine towards others, I don't feel the same back...based on how I've been treated by a lot of people. I do know that what I say isn't lip service, but I know how you feel about people not really caring and wondering why they would.
  6. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

I don't like when people reference "don't judge me." If you have done nothing wrong, there is nothing to be judged for. Judges precide over courts of law in criminal cases. If you believe in who you are and what you do, then nobody can really judge you. Many of us care about you, and everyone, because we care about life. We know what it is worth and we know too that with a proper wellness plan, almost everyone can have a shot at recovery from depression. The real issue with the bad things in life is not really how they depress us, rather, it is how we learn to cope with them.
  7. ronnymarie

ronnymarie Guest

Why do people care? That's a tough one, because we are all so different, and what applies to one person won't apply to another.

I can honestly say that if I don't care, I don't reply. But if I do take the time and effort to try and help someone it is because I have a genuine interest in trying to help another human being. I am not trying to say what someone wants to hear, but if I can identify with someone's situation, and might be able to offer some advice, then why not? And if someone else responds to me, I have no reason to believe it is for any other reason than they want to do what they can to help. Why else bother at all? Trying to judge someone else's motives is seldom helpful, as we can only make guesses, and they are often wrong.
  8. Sparrow91

Sparrow91 Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone, your replies have given me a lot to think about. I'm starting to think that of someday I care about myself then I'll have a better understanding about accepting why others care, it's all so confusing to me right now. I do really genuinely appreciate your responses, you guys make me think you do care :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.