Why Do People Cut Themselves?

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ELLIEANDMONKEY, Apr 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ELLIEANDMONKEY

ELLIEANDMONKEY Well-Known Member

I read alot of threads about cutting but I'm wondering why people do it? Does it make you feel better? And where does someone cut themselves?

If it actually brings temporary relief from pain I would be curious to try it. I won't ever...but I'm just curious.

2. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

when i first saw this thread, i was not sure what to think about it. i figured that a lot of us will probably think the same thing.

anyway, as for me.. yes, it brings relief... a lot of relief. while it's not exactly a good habbit (as in, doing damage to your body) it sure helps all that tention go away for a while.

sometimes, another reason why people do it is because they don't like them selves (so they feel it's kind of a punishment). but something deserving of them, you get me?

a lot of the time, i use the arms- or wrists as well..

3. ELLIEANDMONKEY

ELLIEANDMONKEY Well-Known Member

I keep thinking of trying it. I know how stupid it sounds but I want my pain to go away.

4. the masked depressant

the masked depressant Well-Known Member

it dsoes not sound stupid.. thatg's what we all want

5. lostbutnotfound

lostbutnotfound Well-Known Member

I cut, and the reason I do so is to try and inflict enough physical pain on myself to try and detract from the emotional agony, even if it is only for a while. I also do it because I despise the person that I am, and think that it is no more than I deserve. I enjoy having the control over some aspect of my life when everything else seems to be so out of my control. It helps most of the time for me, in the short term atleast, but I am usually left with an even deeper sense of self loathing, after I have cleaned up afterwards, or when I see all the cuts and scars. This tends to make me feel even more worthless, which in turn leads me to need to cut again.. it is very much a vicious circle. I tend to do so on my legs, so I can avoid questions from nosy people.

People cut for a variety of reasons, it's not black and white, it is usually very complex, with a variety of reasons merging to make SH seem like the best option.

If you feel the need to try, please give this a read first:
    http://www.suicideforum.com/showthread.php?t=18686

I have SH'd for over 10 years, and it is a huge regret of mine.. though it seems pretty unbeatable now, and just an extention of me, of the person that I am. I really hope you don't try cutting, it really is a slippery slope.

6. barto

barto Well-Known Member

Please do not start self harming. It can become almost like a drug addiction and nearly consume you. And just like substance abuse, it has all the stigmas...

But to answer your question, the reason why I self harm is to distract myself from emotional pain with physical and to punish myself for the past.

7. Itsme:)

Itsme:) Well-Known Member

I'm exactly the same... well kinda
    I have friends who do, who have been the reason i haven't tried it
    but curiosity to whether it works gets me sometimes

8. _Lily_

_Lily_ Forum Buddy

Please DO NOT try it i have cut since i was 13 am now 34 that 21 years of cutting i cant stop doing it ...once you start its hard to stop the more you cut the deeper you go and the more scars you have

9. icequeen

icequeen Well-Known Member

a) self punishment,
    b) to distract from emotional distress
    c) to feel something
    d) getting addicted to it

i do it on my forearm

please please do not start...i never in a million years ever thought of doing it
    and one day out of nowhere i had this overwhelming impulse to do it..and it is a v hard as others have said to stop once you start, and i am so envious of those who have managed it. dont bring another monster into your life, it makes your original battle harder

10. kmj221

kmj221 Well-Known Member

I tend to cut to help a couple of things my extreme anxiety, distraction and, also to relieve my emotional pain. Sometimes if too many people are in my business I do it to feel in control. I also, do not recommend this at all. It is so very very addictive and I kinda wish I could stop now but, way to hard. I have so many scars on my left arm (because I'm right handed). Don't do it!! kmj221

11. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

it used to help distract me(control my anxiety too). it got 'hard' because i ened up just cutting scar tissue(it's stronger than normal skin as far as i remember).

12. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

it made me know that I was still me and my hallucinations haven't completely consumed me yet. It gives me a sense of reality - if I feel real pain, I know i'm not dreaming and just seeing/hearing things.

13. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i cut to feel real (i'm emotionally numb most of the time). i cut out of self hatred. i cut to punish myself. i cut because i think i deserve pain. at this point, too, i'm also addicted to it (been cutting almost 30 years, on and off).

i cut on my arms and my inner thighs.

don't start. you will really regret it.

14. freddie

freddie Well-Known Member

I cut for a brief period of time, one time I slipped and went to deep and ended up in hospital and kind of freaked myself out a bit... I'd never seen inside of me before.
    The temptation is still there on a regular basis.
    If you have to ask why people cut, then you're not a cutter and shouldn't even be contemplating "trying it".
    For me, it was an impulse, it was the first thing to do in a situation where I felt out of control.
    I do feel like I deserve punishment sometimes for things I've done and how I've behaved, but most of this is post cutting, I've managed to control myself a lot more now, I think.
    However, this isn't why I did it.
    It was something that literally just happened. I hadn't thought about it before at all. I don't know what triggered it, but it became habitual extremely quickly.
    I've managed to stop for around 4 months now, but going up and down in my moods on a regular basis, it's exceptionally hard work.
    Don't start out of "curiosity", that's ridiculous.

15. the_snowcub

the_snowcub Active Member

I cut, so for that brief moment in time, I get relief from the pain and hopelessness I continually feel. I cut, because when the blood is running, I am actually alive. The blood flow stops, and I feel dead again - until the next time

16. Oloriel

Oloriel Well-Known Member

Depending on my current mood, I cut for different reasons. During an anxiety attack, I'll cut for the pain to cut through my panic and calm me down, it sort of centers me. In a depressive episode, I'll cut to make myself feel something that is real, or out of self-loathing and hatred for my own body. Sometimes I cut just for the sight and taste of blood. When I'm suicidal I cut to help either work up the nerve to make an attempt, or to let off steam in the form of pain so that I *don't* attempt, though in those times I often prefer to choke myself rather than cut.

I don't really think cutting is something you can just decide to try one day - I sort of agree with the above statement that if you have to ask why people would cut, then you probably wouldn't take to it. That doesn't mean that if you're already in pain, you won't try cutting and then end up just as addicted to it as we all are. I hope for your sake you don't try it - I began when I was 14, out of a combined emotional numbness and a sharp desire to taste blood. I've been in thrall to it ever since, even in my months when I've managed to stop. I've gone about four months now without cutting, and I want it every day, it's agony. Don't do that to yourself.

17. Nebula

Nebula Member

I haven't cut in a while - I've moved on to bruises - but I consider any form of self-injury as the violence of society writing itself on my body. I'm not an agent when I hit myself, only an instrument.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.