why do people insist on rubbing in how good their life is?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by emily83, Apr 8, 2013.

1. emily83

emily83 Well-Known Member

this is 1 thing i've been finding a lot lately- and it totally frustrates me.

people saying oh i'm doing this, this, this... about 100 times to someone with no prospects- ugggg. makes me want to scream

anybody else
  2. Gossack

Gossack Active Member

I agree, it's so annoying.
  3. Wastingecho

Wastingecho Well-Known Member

sometimes what makes it worse is that they aren't doing it on purpose

i have no problem with people being proud of their accomplishments - it's just that the contrast between their life and mine is just so much starker because of how we feel, what we're going through
  4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

I think some people just do it to make conversation because it's something they know they can talk about.

I wouldn't have a problem with someone on here doing that because it shows they are managing to pull through all the crap that has happened to them. But when someone doesn't have emotional problems and is always doing stuff...yeah, it sucks and it's kind of insensitive.
  5. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I can see how that could be annoying and bothersome. What bothers me most about friends who are doing so many fun and great things is that I can't seem to attain that happiness. A lot of them don't know how much I'm struggling either, and I don't want to bring them down with my crap. So I guess that makes me more depressed at times.
  6. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

Sometimes I wonder about this....

How do we know what they are saying is true? Are they happy? Are they doing what they are saying they are doing? They might be, but they may not be at peace either.

How many of us are honest with anyone about how we are really feeling? We can forget at times what others may be going through, even though from the outside all may appear fine.

Just another view.... I do understand what everyone is saying here, too.
  7. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

That's a good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. I guess some people who boast about their lives could be trying to compensate for something that isn't there, or maybe talking things up to make themselves feel better.