• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Why do people leave hateful comments?

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
I'm a bit confused here.
Why would someone leave hate filled nonsensical comments? They actually make zero sense. I'm assuming it's one person on my blog. I wouldn't copy it here to show because I don't use such language. Just, why? What would someone get out of it?

By the way it doesn't bother me. The first time was a while ago and I ignored it. Now the other this supposed female left another rant. I marked the comment as spam and replied that I'm sad they're in so much pain. In my spam now there are a number of other rants from said person that I haven't read.

Just, why? Why would someone want to do that? Like, what for? And I have no idea whether it's real or not. If they're hurting and expressing that, or just like writing some rambling nonsensical comments made half off swearing (not reading them for that reason).

Just wondering.... and would love thoughts. And I'd love to understand it.

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
I don't know if people like that are trolling to get a rise out of others, or they are just really hateful people. I don't understand exactly why they act like that. I wish you didn't have to deal with it, though. Is there any way to block them from posting there?
I've spammed 'her' - if it really is her. She's ranting about stuff I didn't do so it can't be about me. Though the first time I did wonder. The rest of her comments have automatically been going to spam. I just, I just can't understand it and want to make sense of it.

The world - people - are meant to be unicorn and rainbows and glitter in my eyes. It's something I like about myself, that I perceive everyone as good, and I really don't want it to change.

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
The world - people - are meant to be unicorn and rainbows and glitter in my eyes. It's something I like about myself, that I perceive everyone as good, and I really don't want it to change.
Well I hope you can hang on to that as long as you like.. but we also know that's completely unrealistic a viewpoint to keep forever. You're an adult and part of not being a kid is not believing in Santa. Know what I mean?

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I'm sorry this girl is bothering you. That's annoying. Sounds like the messages going to spam is your best bet. We have no way to tell what someone's motivation is, you know? All you can do is try to keep your good opinion of people and try to imagine she's a hurting person that happened to wander into your blog and make comments for some reason. I hope it can stop bothering your head soon at least *console We know you and we adore you.

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Well I hope you can hang on to that as long as you like.. but we also know that's completely unrealistic a viewpoint to keep forever. You're an adult and part of not being a kid is not believing in Santa. Know what I mean?
Yes and no.
I'm going to steer clear of some parts of Instagram for this.

I like that I believe what people tell me. I like that I honestly think the best about most people. I love most people and it's real. Laughing as I'm saying that for I've social anxiety and don't trust anyone. But it's true. I see the good. It's not that I don't know there's a dark side to the world. Else I wouldn't be on here. But that in some things I see the good. And I feel like in the past couple days I'm coming up against a lot that's jarring that and I really don't want to. I want to stay with the views I have.

Honestly, it makes me sad for whoever this person is that they feel the need to comment that way. I too am glad it's going to spam. Even just for the language. You'd think I've gotten enough of an education here, but here, it may be the same words, but it's not usually so hate filled. And from all people have written on here before about people pretending, I have no clue if this person is like, trying to pretend and writing such things, or if they're that filled with anger and pain.

I'm sorry this girl is bothering you. That's annoying. Sounds like the messages going to spam is your best bet. We have no way to tell what someone's motivation is, you know? All you can do is try to keep your good opinion of people and try to imagine she's a hurting person that happened to wander into your blog and make comments for some reason. I hope it can stop bothering your head soon at least *console We know you and we adore you.
Thanks *hug
More confused by it then anything else. But will just stop thinking about it.

DrownedFishOnFire

Back into the wild where I belong. Out of your way
Staff Alumni
SF Supporter
Hiding behind that keyboard does bring out the subconscious darkness in some people. Its so dumb but those people if they wanted to say it to you in your face chances are more higher they wouldnt dare to.

Be proud she is giving you HER TIME of the day to attempt to bring you down to her level. You are a worthy opponent for her to even waste their time with I sense some jealousy on her end here? Time is precious to all. If it escalates to harassment report it to your local PD. They might be able to help if its a threat. That usually works.

Hugs

Ash600

✮☆Meetup star ☆✮
SF Creative
SF Supporter
It does sound like malicious behaviour, approaching online trolling. Why people do such things is beyond me. It's cowardly and despicable behaviour, hiding behind a veil of anonymity to deliver their spite and often hateful comments. Obviously something is missing in their lives big time for them to get their kicks by acting in this way. You did the right thing by spamming that person. The worst thing to do it has been argued is to respond to their barbed comments as this just gives them fuel to carry on. A response is what they seek to elicit, if they don't get any, then usually they will f##k off.

If it does escalate, then your options would be reporting that person to the site administrators as your first option. If it persists or becomes more toxic even, then this can be seen as cyber bullying, in which case that person can be prosecuted under the relevant cyberbulling laws.

Inanimate

SF Dictionary 📚
I don’t really know, but I usually ascribe it to envy and jealousy. They may feel as though they can’t compete, so they instead expend their time and effort on running you down. We’re made to feel like a big shot regardless of whether or not we can deliver on our promise, and it’s easier to punish those who do for our own shortcomings than it is to look inwardly, come to terms with them, and live on for the sake of liking being. Your presence is possibly a perceived threat against their capacity for being liked, so their persistent attempts to undermine you is, in their minds, justified.

Walker

Admin-a-monkey
ADMIN
SF Social Media
SF Author
SF Supporter
I like that I believe what people tell me. I like that I honestly think the best about most people. I love most people and it's real. Laughing as I'm saying that for I've social anxiety and don't trust anyone.
Clearly these two things don't go together so you have to pick a side. You either believe what people tell you and all their innate believably and goodness ---- or you don't. If people are typically honest and trustworthy then no reason not to trust them, right? So one of these are flawed thinking. Just saying.

More confused by it then anything else. But will just stop thinking about it.
Confused why?

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
ADMIN
Hi, Innocent Forever. First, I’m sorry you received hateful comments/language. I’m glad you are not bothered by what was said, but more that someone took the time to say it.

It’s okay to trust people and want and expect them to be decent. When they aren’t, I think we’re left with a choice: keep taking whatever they dish out, block them from our life, avoid them...I think it’s okay to have some discretion when it comes to being “loving” and look for the good in others. If someone has shown me they can be quite mean, I think it is self-caring to be at least a little cautious with them or to ignore their nastiness.

I think lots of reserved and shy people (socially phobic people) actually want/hope that others are good, expect that, and are perhaps a shade scared they will be let down or hurt - hence the shyness.

You are magnanimous and generous in your willingness to look for the good in others. Just don’t make yourself too vulnerable to being hurt by the few who just want to be hurtful. *hug

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Hiding behind that keyboard does bring out the subconscious darkness in some people. Its so dumb but those people if they wanted to say it to you in your face chances are more higher they wouldnt dare to.

Be proud she is giving you HER TIME of the day to attempt to bring you down to her level. You are a worthy opponent for her to even waste their time with I sense some jealousy on her end here? Time is precious to all. If it escalates to harassment report it to your local PD. They might be able to help if its a threat. That usually works.

Hugs
It does sound like malicious behaviour, approaching online trolling. Why people do such things is beyond me. It's cowardly and despicable behaviour, hiding behind a veil of anonymity to deliver their spite and often hateful comments. Obviously something is missing in their lives big time for them to get their kicks by acting in this way. You did the right thing by spamming that person. The worst thing to do it has been argued is to respond to their barbed comments as this just gives them fuel to carry on. A response is what they seek to elicit, if they don't get any, then usually they will f##k off.

If it does escalate, then your options would be reporting that person to the site administrators as your first option. If it persists or becomes more toxic even, then this can be seen as cyber bullying, in which case that person can be prosecuted under the relevant cyberbulling laws.
I'm no longer seeing the comments for they're spammed. If they get through then will see then, but I guess I'd always just delete them.
I just felt bad for the person writing it... though now that there are at least 5 of them it doesn't seem like such real pain just nonsensical.

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
I don’t really know, but I usually ascribe it to envy and jealousy. They may feel as though they can’t compete, so they instead expend their time and effort on running you down. We’re made to feel like a big shot regardless of whether or not we can deliver on our promise, and it’s easier to punish those who do for our own shortcomings than it is to look inwardly, come to terms with them, and live on for the sake of liking being. Your presence is possibly a perceived threat against their capacity for being liked, so their persistent attempts to undermine you is, in their minds, justified.
*hug thanks

Innocent Forever

Still innocent!
SF Supporter
Clearly these two things don't go together so you have to pick a side. You either believe what people tell you and all their innate believably and goodness ---- or you don't. If people are typically honest and trustworthy then no reason not to trust them, right? So one of these are flawed thinking. Just saying.

Confused why?
I do both MM. If someone tells me something I believe what they say. My family all use sarcasm a lot. Had funny stories where they just didn't believe me so lost out. I still mostly believe whatever they say although I've learnt not to always.

Just confused as to why someone would behave in such a way. But I'm guessing it's not really understandable. And that I'm just going to have to stay away from people who think that's normal if I want to keep the sunshine.

Hi, Innocent Forever. First, I’m sorry you received hateful comments/language. I’m glad you are not bothered by what was said, but more that someone took the time to say it.

It’s okay to trust people and want and expect them to be decent. When they aren’t, I think we’re left with a choice: keep taking whatever they dish out, block them from our life, avoid them...I think it’s okay to have some discretion when it comes to being “loving” and look for the good in others. If someone has shown me they can be quite mean, I think it is self-caring to be at least a little cautious with them or to ignore their nastiness.

I think lots of reserved and shy people (socially phobic people) actually want/hope that others are good, expect that, and are perhaps a shade scared they will be let down or hurt - hence the shyness.

You are magnanimous and generous in your willingness to look for the good in others. Just don’t make yourself too vulnerable to being hurt by the few who just want to be hurtful. *hug
Thanks Acy. This forum has actually taught me a lot about people and trusting them, or knowing that they lie. I believe what people tell me but monkeyman has said so often on here that not everything everyone says is true that I actually sorta know it.

I think when you see the best in others they show you their best too. I've had lots of random kindnesses like people giving me water and helping me park (or getting me unstuck driving - last week when I got stuck).

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$95.00
Goal
$255.00