Why do people lie?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Bullzye, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Bullzye

Bullzye Active Member

It really frustrates me when people lie!!! why do people do it? it annoys me more when it is very obvious that someone is lying when they are talking to me. it makes me so angry! it makes it difficult to trust anyone and increases my paranoia, why are they lying to me? are they hiding something from me? are they out to get me? trying to manipulate me? I truly believe honesty is the best policy!

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I think they lie to protect themselves to keep themselves feeling safe hun not to harm really anyone

3. meaningless-vessel

meaningless-vessel Well-Known Member

It's one of those things - that you actually have no control over what others say/do how they act/think - you can either let it get to you (which it seems to have done) - or you can turn it on its head. "It's not something I can do anything about - I'll leave it well alone"

Doesn't make it right of course - but this is just another angle to look at it.

4. Twocky61

Twocky61 Banned Member

Sometimes Bullzye it is so as not to hurt the other persons feelings. Like when a woman says "Does my bum look big in this?" to which you reply "Of course not Darling". If you were to tell her the truth and answer in the affirmative she might be hurt as you did not give her the answer she wanted

5. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Lies have a purpose and whatever reason it is for, it can be annoying to deal with when it involves you. But think again why a person lied to you, for the good or bad purposes it could be none of your business, maybe the truth is withheld for a reason that has nothing to do with you.

I'm lied to all of the time and I don't take it personal or let it get under my skin cuz I don't give a damn why. Its a human nature and I'm not going to be Atlas and hold the burden of lies and chase them down and wrangle the truth out of them.

Its a double edged sword at times and its nothing to be triffled with so let sleeping dogs lie and let it to be. I might be little insensitive today but people who lie will be impaled at their own sword at times with their own lies in due time.

6. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't get it, either. Just about everyone I've ever known has lied to me, and it's to the point where I don't want to get to know anyone else, because I am just sick and tired of being hurt.

7. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

People lie for a variety of reasons:

• It is more interesting than the truth
    • It is safer than the truth
    • It is easier/less hassle than the truth
    • It is less emotionally uncomfortable (for either party) than the truth
    • It gains them more than the truth

I am sure there are others, but those are the main ones.

8. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

Simply...people lie because they don't have the balls or brain matter to tell then truth. I can't lie. If I do, I get physically sick... like woof my cookies sick! I always instantly have to tell the person that I lied. Which isn't/hasn't been very often in my entire lifetime. I have the balls to tell the truth if someone wants to hear it not. Can't waste the time trying to remember all the lies when the truth smacks you in the face (when you get caught in a lie) and it always eventually will.