Why do people make promises?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by Crawling, May 5, 2013.

1. Crawling

Crawling Member

They never mean them. Never. Anyone else notice that?
  2. Theodora

Theodora Well-Known Member

Some people mean them when they make them. Some make promises without thinking. Others wish they could fulfil them.
  3. SadBk

SadBk Well-Known Member

Because most people are selfish pricks who don't think about how the other person will feel when they change their mind and the promise becomes meaningless.

Not that I'm bitter or anything!
  4. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

no i don't believe they do it to be mean i think that promises are made then for some reason they have to be broken so dont' expect too much from promises ok if they come true then that is good if they dont then it has nothing to do with you hun it has all to do with the one that gave it. hugs to you
  5. pickwithaustin

pickwithaustin Staff Alumni

If I make a promise, I always keep it... at any cost. A man only really truly owns one thing in life, and that is his word.

I think that many people,however, make promises with good intentions, but often times they do not first consider whether or not they can meet the promise expectations. I know that my close friends would always keep their promises, where able, and so too a lot plays in to who the people are that you accept the promises from. Depend upon yourself first and foremost, and then anything additional that comes from the promises of others is just icing on the cake. Not setting expectations based on a promise that you are not sure will be kept is a safe means of not being let down in the end.
  6. lelantgirl

lelantgirl Well-Known Member

Alot of people say and just dont do, I have been let down alot in my life and still am being. I find trusting people very difficult because of this and its hard when someone genuine comes along and they don't let you down, yet you are still waiting for that moment when they do!
    There are good people, but a good % seem to be interested in themselves and themselves alone and everyone else can go jump.
    It makes me so mad, promises shouldn't be broken unless its something very major that has cropped up, it screws up the mind, dont people realise this?
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know, but it sucks when people continually promise you things and then go back on their word, or lie or use people, or tell you to trust them and then do everything to break that trust. I don't know why some people do that, but I wish it wasn't like that.
  8. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I think people mean well but most of the time they don't understand just how much that promise means to us, so when they break it - whether it be because something better came along, or they realise keeping it was too much hard work - they don't grasp the impact it has on us.

Many times my mum, my brother, or friend have promised something and I've had hope - that promise is in my head and I'm thinking "well at least I have this that is going to happen." But the other person has completely forgotten about it. It's a big deal to me but nothing to them. They don't understand how upsetting it can be.