Why do people say "I'm only human?"

Discussion in 'The Coffee House' started by Aurora Gory Alice, Jul 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I understand it to a point, but it makes me so angry because I cannot understand what else people are expecting to be?
    There is no proof of any higher power or any sort of weird stronger mutation, so why are we always so quick to act like being human is to be weak and pathetic?
    Humans are one of the (if not 'the') strongest entities on earth.
    Just sounds like an excuse to me.

2. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

I believe the saying refers to the fact that humans are fallible and not perfect creatures.

3. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

When people stop and say "I'm only human" they're referring to the fact that:

Nobody is perfect, we all make mistakes, and nobody can be like superman, rather than equating being human to being a weak person who makes mistakes because they're pathetic.

4. Aurora Gory Alice

But we all know nobody is perfect.
    Perfection is a ridiculous state of mind because it can never be achieved and Superman is a comic book character.
    I can see an abuser or a criminal using 'I'm only human', as justification for their actions during a trail I'm sure none of us would think it's a viable excuse at a time like that.

I think this person summed it up rather well:

"I'm only human" -- do you agree with this phrase?

"I'm only human" is a phrase that many people use when they do something wrong.

Honestly, I don't think it's right to say "I'm ONLY human". Think about it, if you weren't human then what would you rather be? Being human is the most wonderful thing you could be in your mortal life. And yes we are prone to mistakes but those mistakes are OUR faults and not something that we should be dismissing as a normal part of life. Mistakes are meant to be corrected - we are humans with such incredible mental prowess that we CAN make things better.

I think people who say "we're only human" are making excuses for themselves because they don't want to be blamed entirely for what they did wrong. They're trying to make themselves feel better by thinking that "everybody else makes mistakes". But they aren't everybody elses mistakes... they are YOURS.

5. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

That is interesting. I don't know if it necessarily means weak and pathetic but just that we are imperfect.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Stamps that are imperfect are worth the most.

7. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

:rose:

8. CPessimist

CPessimist Well-Known Member

Because we aren't gods or angels :D, if we were then we wouldn't make mistakes. And besides, humans are weak! I wouldn't fight a panther with my bare hands, fuck that noise.

Humans kick ass, yes, but we aren't supernatural.

9. Aurora Gory Alice

'fuck that noise'. (??)

Okay I am so adopting that saying. lol
    Can I pull that off in an English accent? :trampoline:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.