Why do people say that suicide is ALWAYS selfish and cowardly??

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Anonymous2, May 26, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anonymous2

Anonymous2 Well-Known Member

Why do people say that suicide is ALWAYS selfish and cowardly?

Selfish?
    Some suicidal people are NOT amazing, benevolent people that are having a profound positive impact on the lives of others. On the contrary, some suicidal people are damaged and are having a negative impact on the lives of others and society as a whole. For some, suicide can be considered an act of compassion toward others because their death will benefit society.

People consume and use a lot of resources. Suicides increase the supply and reduce the demand for things like food, clean water, healthcare, and housing. Suicides result in the sale or transfer of assets to other people.

In some cases, suicide can result in the elimination of a dangerous or potentially dangerous, harmful person. In some cases, suicide alleviates the frustration and depression that family members feel from having to deal with and support an unemployed/underemployed, depressed, unkind, debilitated, and/or psychologically inept/disturbed person.

As we can see, suicide is NOT always selfish... it CAN be selfish, however, often it is more altruistic than selfish.

Cowardly?
    I promise you if we built an extremely realistic suicidal simulation device, 99% of these "brave", non-suicidal people would NOT try it. Why wouldn't they try it? Because dying is not a pleasant experience and they are AFRAID. The truth is that death from suicide (in many cases) is not any less painful than death from accidental fire, drowning, hunting accidents, etc. Whether one dies by accident or is killed by oneself the pain of dying is still the same.

No one would enjoy burning alive, slamming into concrete at 90 mph, drowning, being shot in the head, etc. In fact, suicide (or any violent death) is so painful that even the most evil serial killers are allowed to be executed in a much less painful way than the typical suicide.

Another thing to think about is the fact that many suicidal people believe death results in nothingness, not heaven. Some even believe they will go to hell. This is not like the typical non-suicidal person who believe they're amazing and good so they will go to Heaven and hold hands with God and Jesus while they live blissful, eternal lives as spiritual superhumans. In other words, not only are suicidal people BRAVE enough to experience the extreme pain of a violent death, but they are also willing to risk experiencing nothing or even being tortured eternally.

As we can see, the cowardly label is a ridiculous stereotype. This silly stereotype is just an attempt by the majority (non-suicidal people) to defame, insult, and anger the minority (suicidal people) .... and pump up there own egotistical, self-righteous, supercilious personalities. Many non-suicidal people think they're so brave ... but they're not. They are just as weak and pathetic as the rest of us.

Important Note (read before responding): When I talk about the majorities' (non-suicidal people's) personalities/attitudes, I am ONLY referring to the non-suicidal people who claim ALL suicidal people are selfish and cowardly.

Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2012
  2. BrinkOfExistence

BrinkOfExistence Well-Known Member

I believe bravery doesn't even come into play when considering suicide, if someone is 'brave' enough to kill themselves then why aren't they brave enough to face their problems? To me, suicide is far scarier than facing my problems I think it's all to do with irrationality, no one logically commits suicide they are in a state of irrationality and believe that suicide is the answer and so what if people call you a coward for commiting suicide, you would be dead so why would you care, you don't care about yourself enough to sort you life out but you care enough about yourself that you don't want to be remembered as a coward, doesn't make sense.
    Also i think when people call suicidal people cowards it's because they chose to avoid their problems rather than face them.

When it comes to being selfish, i guess it is in some cases but not all .

3. chewbacca

chewbacca Well-Known Member

@ "facing one's problem's" ...... this is such bullshit

i'm selfish and i'm a coward and i wanna die just for the pure morbid sensation of it. pure hatred, pure disgust of game life, burning indifference.

delete me

4. BrinkOfExistence

Perfect example of irrationality.

5. chewbacca

rationalism can go **** ******, no offense!

6. BrinkOfExistence

None taken, it's obvious you're upset about something, if you want to talk about it you can PM me.

7. chewbacca

upset about still being alive, i guess

or maybe its the weed {and coffee}, my substitutes for lack of love in life, i dunno. i should take more care of myself but i dont give a damn

8. Deonidas

Deonidas Member

This ...., This about sums up my views on suicide. I feel as though there is no reason to continue because I am a Burden and Strain of Resources to everyone I know and care for. So it is only logical that I remove said burden.

As for the nothingness factor, It is what I most desire. To cease to exist and feel "Nothing".

9. TheLoneWolf

TheLoneWolf Well-Known Member

Heh, I sometimes think I'd be doing the world a favor by dying. I'd almost certainly be doing myself a favor. Yet I haven't managed to kill myself yet. I tell myself it's because I still have hope, but part of me is also afraid to do it. I don't care what anybody says, it takes guts to take your own life.

(my current misery minus whatever hope I have left) divided by my level of cowardice = my probability of committing suicide on any given day

10. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

People probably say it's selfish and cowardly because they have no idea what the suicidal person is feeling. My suicide won't be selfish because no one will miss me when I'm gone.

11. letty

letty Banned Member

Me committing suicide will be so I wont have to go through all the physical pain and sickness that comes along with the illness, is that selfish ?

12. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

I have voices getting me to do it all the time. One of these days, I'm going to be depressed enough to actually go with what they suggest. Selfish? I don't think so. Cowardly? I just want all the noise in my head to stop. I feel that suicide is a way of freeing ourselves from the burdens of our existence, and thus setting other people free (our loved ones).

I want to free my parents, siblings, and children from the burden that is me. The voices promise my salvation, and the salvation of mankind if I do commit suicide. One day my illness will get to such a debilitating point, that I will have no choice but to follow what they say.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.