why do people stop caring?

Discussion in 'Rants, Musings and Ideas' started by tobeornottobe, Apr 14, 2013.

1. tobeornottobe

tobeornottobe Member

i had a friend who stopped caring about me. she said she cared about me and was my friend. now she won't reply to my messages. I give up on people.

2. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I don't know but that happens to me all the time. It's too bad people don't care more about others. I know I care a lot about people but don't get the same in return.

3. katrina77

katrina77 Guest

I've found that some people are really good at taking, but if you come to them with a problem, they run away. It's painful, but maybe we are better off without people who are incapable of being true friends.

But there are those that will always be there. Don't give up, just keep trying to find those who will be there, even when things are tough.

4. snarrylover

snarrylover Well-Known Member

It happens to me, too, so you're not alone and it's not you. I believe it's a mentality people have when faced with friends with depression, etc. They don't know how to handle it, or feel they aren't good enough to give the right help. I've been on both sides.

There are good people out there. They are just hidden very well.

I always try hard to reply to other people, but sometimes - if I'm not feel so great - I don't reply straight away, sometimes for days because I'm afraid my down/bad mood with hurt the other person. Give your friend another chance :)

5. tobeornottobe

tobeornottobe Member

thanks for your replies. depression is hard to live with and understand. all mental illness is.

6. Emerald Hyperion

Emerald Hyperion Not So Well-Known Member

It happens to me as well. Since I finally came to terms with it, I started focusing more on myself than worrying if others even remotely care about me. But I think some are just scared and don't know how to handle problems when it comes to depression, suicidal feelings, or needing some kind of company as a whole. In any other given situation, most wouldn't have a problem with putting on a smile and chatting away, but the instant it gets serious, that is when people fall off the face of the planet.

They're scared of the responsibility, because they're either afraid of saying the wrong thing, or perhaps they don't know what proper advice to give without risk of repercussions. They are frightened to learn the depths of depression, what causes it, and discover what could be done to attend to it. It's easier for others if they run away and pretend the problems aren't there. Far less guilt in the end involved.

True friendship is damn near impossible to find in a world chock full of artificiality, lies, and deceit. But there's some good hearted souls out there... personally haven't met much of them, though.

7. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

All friendships have a balance and a tipping point. There is no such thing as a relationship that can weather any storm. Most cases, that tipping point is less than actually does enough to offer true support in a crisis.

You can learn to accept people and friends as they are from what they can give and (and what your tolerances are as well) or it will be a lonely life. Over time that tipping point changes - closer relationships allow more but at the same time it is a cumulative effect - and it is less selfish and more self preservation that causes people to pull back sometimes.

Saying you give up on people is really no different than saying you do not care either. I would be less critical of a friends ability to deal with "every" situation and concentrate on if they are bringing anything positive to your life in other ways- if not then you have reached your tipping point and do not need them...

8. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

do you know she has stopped caring x

9. tobeornottobe

tobeornottobe Member

she hasn't replied to my messages in 2 months

10. inhibit

inhibit Member

I have the same problem dear.

I cannot reach out to people, I don't know what to say anymore, or that I even knew what to do in the first place. I can't console people because I run away from myself.

And I know that my friends do the same thing. It isn't right to abandon people, but there are people out there that aren't going to let you give up on people-- if that makes any sense.

No matter what, I can assure you that anyone here is up for a chat and will answer your messages :)

11. Forgotten_Man

Forgotten_Man Well-Known Member

WE all have our own lives to live friend. Sometimes we do not know what to say either. It can be hard to let others put their problems on you. Sometimes you just cannot think of anything to say... so you have to respond in silence.

12. skinnylove911

skinnylove911 Well-Known Member

can you phone her or send her an email and ask her why?