Why do people think to die is to escape?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kenickie, Jun 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kenickie

Kenickie Account Closed

How do you know?
    I dont know whats on the other side of death and neither does anybody else
    For all any of us know we are killing ourselves to spend an eternity burning in the nether regions of hell and personally that does not sound preferable to the shitty life I lead here
    so why do we all look to suicide to escape instead of other things?

Isn't it just the cowards way out anyway

2. LenaLunacy

LenaLunacy Well-Known Member

I don't neccesarily agree with you. To a certain extent i agree that it takes a strong, brave person to carry on living when things hit rock bottom. But i also believe that those who take their own life are so desperate for any way out that they grasp for anything they can, sometimes that is hope that in death they will find peace.
    But i agree that how can we know what comes after death? And how can we know that it is better than what we have now? We can't is the simple answer.

3. palmtrees

palmtrees Well-Known Member

Chances are if I would go to hell for trying to end my suffering then I'd end up going to hell anyway. If you were some kind of omnipotent being and you knew how all these sweet poor talented great people who have ended their lives for whatever reasons felt, you would not add to that pain. Hell is a concept created by sick minds to control people.

No disrespect.

Of course nobody really knows what death will be like but instinct tells us it would be a way out.

4. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Logically, which do you think is more likely? That death is sleep without dreams or that it's an eternity of burning? How do people even come to that conclusion? :unsure:
    Nothing against anyone...

5. jjjoooggg2

jjjoooggg2 Well-Known Member

Sometimes people commit suicide out of shame. Death before dishonor. There are probably more psychological reasons. There was a preacher that said that suicide is for cowards on TV. My only guess is that Christians don't want other Christians to die to increase the population of Christians on the planet. I know of two people that commit suicide. I can say that my bro was not a coward.

Also, no where in the bible does it put a bad light on suicide.

6. just.me

just.me Account Closed

suicide don't have to be an escape, it can also be done for a change
    and hell is just something the church invented because during the
    medieval era many people killed themselves, they didn't knew how to deal
    with it so they said, that if you kill yourself you will burn in hell...
    and obviously even after 1000 years, it worked, even on those forums

7. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Are you depressed/suicidal Nicole?

8. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

Oh for god's sake, guys. Quit blaming everything on Christians. They had much less effect than you'd like to attribute them. Our views on sex are shaped by syphilis, our views on suicide are because people care about those around them.

9. just.me

just.me Account Closed

much less effect?
    how about the crusaders, who killed millions just because
    they refused to convert?
    or the anti gay marriage, which creates inequality, so i guess
    god don't think all people are equal after all right?
    and what about the fact that by their rules one must visit church
    every week, and if not he will burn in hell?

religion is a sub government, making rules to control society

10. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

The Crusades were a Roman battle, extended. If the Christians hadn't attacked the Muslims, the Muslims would have attacked the Christians. It's a goddamn territory war, known since the first self-replicating RNA molecules, not anything religion-based.

Lots oppose gay marriage. Indians? Chinese? How about classic fascist and communist (atheist) governments?

Ignore their rules. They don't affect society at large.

Accept some damn responsibility, don't just tack it on a group you don't like.

11. Tired and alone

Tired and alone Well-Known Member

This is why I believe the way I do. I believe that we all come from a source and that this time on earth...I believe in reincarnation...is a school of sorts. Some of us fail to live to the end of our lives or maybe we do die this way because we are suppose to impact others by this act. We both learn and we teach. Now, I will tell you why I know that there is life after death...think of me as you will but these are real experiences and I do not do drugs or drink. I am a nurse. My first job was in a pediatric ICU. We had a 3 year old boy with an inoperable tumor in his chest. He was eventually transfered out to the pediatric floor. On my dinners I would look into the rooms of the children on this floor. I past his room and he was lying in his mist tent as usual, not smiling. He rarely talked or showed emotion. On my way back from dinner I looked in the window and he had his hands in the air and he was laughing. I called a CNA over to watch with me. We were both shocked as he never smiled. We went back to work and five minutes later code was called and I knew that it had to be him and it was. I know that I watched someone come and lead him to the other side. It was very emotional and my heart filled with wonder and joy at this. I have other things happen in my life but this one was the strongest.

12. just.me

just.me Account Closed

very interesting story
    i could give a natural explanation to it though
    but i like your story more then the dull explanation so lets leave it this way :)

13. Tired and alone

Tired and alone Well-Known Member

I feel sorry that you want to give a clinical explaination to this but you had to be there and feel the energy and watch him for the few minutes as he interacted with his welcoming committee, so to speak. I have watched many people die. This boy taught me that death is only for the body. We, in spirit form, live on. I have had other experiences expressed in different ways to let me know that this is true. Suicide is really not the answer but yet here I am.

14. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

I don't think you can really add logic to what is on the other side of death. LMAO!

15. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

Yeah but like... one of them is at least understandable. You can see why people would think it whereas the other is completely crazy...

16. Feared.Desire

Feared.Desire Well-Known Member

Nobody knows what’s on the other side, that’s true. However, that would also suggest there may be nothing on the other side. And feeling nothing is preferable to feeling pain twenty four seven.
    And not knowing also leaves the possibility, (if you do believe in life after death) that it may be far better than the world we are living in now.
    Of course it could be worse, or just as bad, but living in the constant pain many people on this site do, many of us are willing to take that gamble to free ourselves from our current life in hopes of a better one.
    After all, at the end of the day, for people like us, hope is all that keeps us going – and the hope that things will get better :)

17. scorpio63

scorpio63 New Member & Antiquities Friend

The best way to describe my depression is like having a sever case of the flu with out the fever. Now imagine having that 24/7/365 for over 30 years.
    Would you want to live with that?
    I've been fighting this crap for that long, I've been on so many different meds I don't remember them all. Been in intensive therapy for over 20 years.
    All I can tell you is I'll check out when things get to tough, yes I will die by my own hand and things are approaching that limit.
    I've read the theories of afterlife do I believe them? No, I don't but that gives me no right to impose my beliefs on anyone else.
    For me to die is to escape.
    If you don't like it then to bad, go piss on your own parade.

18. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

Okay true, very true! I suppose I've been roped into this trail of thought that there must be 'something', but then again...

19. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

your message shows alot of anger toward suicidies or suicidal people. My next thought would be why are you so angry?

People who are suicidal want a way out. They want the pain to stop, they want a better life. Sometimes its just a phase and other times its constant toughts.

We're far from being cowards, I think it takes guts to actually decide that you had enough and you end it. Its a very personal choice, it means the person chose her/himself over the world.

That choice can be hard to understand from family and friends. But really the person who suffers while alive, aren't the parents or friends, its the individual. Doesn't that person have the right to stop that pain?

20. Kenickie

Kenickie Account Closed

I'm allowed to have my opinion, as are you. And you have CLEARLY had your opinion all over my fucking thread so next time how about you think before you speak

I have a personality disorder which brings on depression, but I'm not suicidal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.