why do people try to stop other people?

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by Ipse_Dixit, Jul 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ipse_Dixit

Ipse_Dixit Well-Known Member

I wonder about this question: why do people try to stop other people from committing suicide?

It is really out of "care" or more so because people just don't want to feel guilty and because most people think that "living is the right thing to do"?
    The other day, my psychologist sent sheriff deputies to my door and they took me to the hospital in handcuffs, in the back of a sheriffs car, and then in the emergency room they strapped my arm to the table, and let me sit there alone for like 2-3 hours before anyone came to talk to me.

The deputy that took me said "what did you expect us to do? if you have a suicidal risk and we don't do anything...then I get sued, I lose my home, my family is hurt". Wow. What a jerk!! See he didn't really care, he just was worried about himself and didn't really care if I lived or died.

Why can't people who want to die just be allowed to die, without people struggling to stop them?

My "old" therapist told me when she terminated our relationship, I could contact her in an emergency. I contacted her when i was suicidal and in anguish with the way she terminated the relationship (without warning). And told her she needs to see me to help me get some closure and that she made the biggest mistake in her life when she terminated me like this.

But guess what, she had an order put against me, to keep me away.

Since when is being suicidal harassment? Did you know that? I thought I was in an emergency and called. But I guess being suicidal isn't a big enough emergency to call.

but what do i know.

i hate this life.

it just continues to crap on me. the universe just keep telling me the same thing..."GET OUT!"
  2. JustWatchMeChange

JustWatchMeChange Well-Known Member

I agree, we should be allowed to leave if we choose, but if you ever make that choice please please call me first. <mod edit-gentlelady-peer support only> Call any time day or night.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2007
  3. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you feel that way and for the way life's been to you so far. Yeah, that sheriff was a jerk. In response to your question though, I can't speak for other people, but I would say it's just because I don't want to see anyone die. I know, it's a little simple of me, but someone dying is just a sad thing and even though I don't really know you, I've never seen death as a pleasant thing and wouldn't wish it on anyone. It's just empathy I guess, it hurts to see other people hurt, I wouldn't want to die and wouldn't wish it on someone else. Life is tougher on some people than it is on others, so I guess others would see death as a release, suicidal feelings are understandable but they probably make some people uncomfortable, like your old therapist. I don't think it's that she doesn't care about you, a person feeling suicidal can just seem a little frightening to some people, try not to blame her too much, it's just the way some people are. Again, I'm sorry for the way life has been thus far, it's not that something's wrong with you, some people just have a tougher road than others. Still, you never know when things might change so I hope you won't throw in the towel just yet.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.