Why do school shooters do what they do

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by seithkein, Jul 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seithkein

seithkein Well-Known Member

I don't get it. If your depressed and you want to die then do so but don't drag other with you even if they bullied you.

2. D3ath

D3ath Well-Known Member

I'd imagine most people on this site have issues which they have trouble dealing with. I know from experiences it sometimes hard to control yourself when you feel so desperate and depressed .. you just lose yourself. Not everything in the world can be rationalised.

I don't agree with the choices these particular people choose although i'd imagine it's a struggle for them and if they was sane they'd understand fully what they was doing is wrong.

3. JohnADreams

JohnADreams Well-Known Member

Different reasons. Sometimes it's not as a reaction to bullying or isolation but to try and make some kind of statement, an impact on the world.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I tend to feel more sympathy for the ones doing the killing than the ones who got killed, because I feel like you have to be in a lot of pain to do that to another person. Probably more pain even than the person dying feels. Not trying to justify it.

5. Afridi786

Afridi786 Member

I imagine they do it because they feel that everyone is responsible for their suffering and they should also suffer.

6. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

They are self-centered and believe that because they feel slighted and/or bullied in some way that they have the right to take human lives as an act of vengeance. Also, they want notoriety. The best thing would be for the media to stop feeding into it.

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

If you really take the time to study school shooters, such as the Columbine shooters, you'll notice that they really weren't victims. Victims of bullying (which I have been) don't go on mass shooting sprees and kill innocent people. I believe that most school shooters are 'thrill killers' or psychopaths. They have no remorse for the people that they are killing. Eric Harris and Dylan Cleoboyd killed people randomly as is the case with nearly all shooters. Now that I'm a teacher, the potential for a school shooting is always at the back of my mind.

8. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I still feel bad for everyone involved. For the shooters and the ones who got shot.
    To have no remorse for doing something like that, what an unpleasant existence :(

9. Xistence

Xistence Well-Known Member

There are many different factors as to why they do it. Most of it probably boils down to something in there mind snapping and them losing it. I've felt like bringing a gun to school before. I don't know why exactly, but it seemed like the only thing at the time. Envy or disgust is sometimes a part of it.

10. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I can't say why these people do what they do, but it is sad that they have so little value of life that they can take it away from others without a second thought.

11. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Some people feel that they have to punish the ones who made them feel insecure and worthless.

12. Esmeralda

Esmeralda Well-Known Member

Which is what makes them psychopaths. We ALL deal with these feelings at one time or another and we all don't go around killing people. RANDOM people. I mean, killing anyone because of bullying is a hugely disproportionate reaction, even with the assumption that those particular people being killed are the actual offenders, but killing anyone in the school or workplace just because they happen to be there? Please.

It is a misguided attempt to gain notoriety and then not even having the decency to live through it so people can get some answers. These people always kill themselves at the end, which is what bothers me the most. They want to kill with impunity and not have to deal with the consequences, so they use that last bullet for themselves, leaving friends, family and society in general in a state of horrified awe. Way to go. I guess that's the point, but seriously, nobody who sees these news reports is EVER going to see these people the way they want to be seen.

They always write these poorly-contrived manifestos which they think will make people wake up and say, "Wow, that person was really talented and had a lot to say about society that bears contemplation, but the world just wasn't ready to be able to truly understand." Gimme a break.

The only message I get from these people is that 1.) They are severely disturbed and need help. 2.) They feel entitled to take random and often innocent human lives. 3.) That I would NEVER condone suicide in any way because I think every human life has great intrinsic value, but if it is a choice between killing random people and THEN killing oneself, or just killing oneself, well, choose the option that involves the least amount of killing.

13. TheBLA

TheBLA Well-Known Member

In my first year of college, I had thought about school shootings, hurting others. I was so jealous, everyone else had good grades and fun at the university, I was the most pathetic student there (still probably am!). I was so bitter and outcast but it was also my fault for isolating myself and my depression made me not want to attend class and do my work. The other students were not to blame at all. I knew that deep inside but still thought about it.

Those thoughts are fully gone now, I am still a big loser compared to everyone else, but I could never ever hurt them. If I am to take a life, it would only be my own. I don't know why my thinking changed, but it changed for the better. I never would have acted on my thoughts, but I thought about it so much at the beginning.

Because of this, I have sympathy for the school shooters, far more than the general population. I feel that you have to be in their shoes even a little bit. I don't think all of them are psychopaths and sadists. Some of them were very alone and isolated, the lone black sheep in the herd and also suffering from mental issues, its so much for them. I have sometimes sympathy for the shooters and then also for the victims. Both groups are the victims. We need to catch these ticking time bombs before they go off. Many of these shooters, people knew in advance they had mental issues (same for those that just commit suicide) but never would have known they would take the lives or others and/or their own.

14. crying_wolf

crying_wolf Active Member

perfectly said

15. ColdSummer

ColdSummer Well-Known Member

I'm on your side, i think it's totally wrong especially to kill inocent people, but its understandable as to why they feel they need to hurt others to compensate for all the pain they have caused them.

16. nedflanders

nedflanders Well-Known Member

What about the option of just killing the people who need killing, and then enjoying the world without them? Y'all have obviously never really experienced hate.

17. OutCaste

OutCaste Well-Known Member

no offense, but some of yall are chatting insensitive shit.

there's no doubt that killing people is wrong but making the school shooters understand that is difficult because they have gone through some much shit that they can't even breathe in that environment. and when that happens, you reach a state of mind where you just want out somehow. either you will want to kill yourself or kill others. what other way ? circumstances are such that you can't run away and they wont let you live peacefully. this is natures law. i have myself been through a lot of struggles because i was routinely teased and humiliated in college everyday for about 1 year by almost 400-500 people and even where i lived. i haven't left my house for 4 years and i just hate to see people giving me dirty looks and whispering something about me or laughing. how would it feel to know that you don't even have a single person to talk to ? how would it feel to know that you would not be accepted in any clique ? how would it feel to constantly become sick in the morning thinking that you have to go to college and face it again ? i feel afraid going out even today. They made groups based on me on orkut and my space ridiculing me. how would it feel that depsite how good you are at education you wont get a job because you lack social skills or you are viewed as abnormal by others. everyone thinks i am a kid or i am mentally retarded. im sick and tierd of trying to please others so that they will accept me. it changed my life FOREVER. im telling you its extremely painful. i used to cry everyday to sleep. you won't be able to breathe, wont be able to sleep and feel anxious, depressed all the time. the stigma kills you. i get a stinging pain in my head nowadays. you will either want to kill yourself(more difficult) or kill everyone whos making your life miserable or has the potential to make your life miserable. i still get these feelings but i often convince myself that its not in my nature to do it. in case of school shooters, the feeling becomes so overwhelming that they can't control themselves. and that state of mind is really dangerous.

notice how each and everyone of these school shooters was troubled at school in some way. it doesn't happen without a reason. most psychopaths become what they become because of circumstances not that they were born this way. I'm not saying you should praise them as heroes but for god sakes stop saying things like they are self centered or criminals or whatever. if tyou think that way then you have surely never been bullied to that extent.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 14, 2008
  18. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

a lot of them were on some type of prescription drugs. coincidence? i don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.